Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member, long time viewer. I'm heading to the golden triangle in Vic early Jan, any suggestions for areas?

Go down

New member, long time viewer. I'm heading to the golden triangle in Vic early Jan, any suggestions for areas? Empty New member, long time viewer. I'm heading to the golden triangle in Vic early Jan, any suggestions for areas?

Post  joshAU Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi all.
First, thanks for the great site, I've been a regular reader since I became interested in detecting. Its one of the best, and most informative sites, on the topic.

I've been doing a lot or reading and research since I went detecting in the triangle earlier this year.
When we went originally , we hired some gpx-4500s, and despite finding no gold, we found numerous bullets, shotgun cartridges, fence wire, and the like, and I think I'm hooked!

While we had little training, we were able to find 22 shells and small shot a few feet deep, so I think we had a reasonable understanding of them, not great, but enough for beginners.

Unfortunately, I live in Tasmania, so my options and opportunities are somewhat limited.

Nonetheless, I recently purchased a s/hand GPX-4500, and checked its legit - ie a serial number check, and manually tested it, finding nailheads at depths of over 2 feet, so I'm sure its legit.

In early Jan, I'm heading to Dunolly, Vic, to try again.
We will be also hiring another 4500.

I've done a fair bit of research using the web, especially printing out geovic info, and corresponding google earth maps with geovic leads and working details overlaid, in high resolution, in 10,000:1 scale.
So, with 30+ maps, I have a few areas in which to try.

I've got two dd coils (11" and 15x12") and an 11" mono, and I think the hired detector will come with a 11" mono as well, so we have the option of both using both dd and mono.

Does anyone have any suggestions of areas to try around, in the region of Moliagul down to dunolly and back up to tarnagulla?
I realise no one wants to give away their secret spots, but some guiding advice would be appreciated.

Also, while I'm aware of many of the pros and cons of dd vs mono coils, which would you recommend to use in this area?

And finally, does anyone have any ideas of ideal (i know thats a vague and varied term) settings for the GPX-4500 for use in this area?
I've got the manual, and read up a few sometimes conflicting recommendations on this subject.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

joshAU

joshAU
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

New member, long time viewer. I'm heading to the golden triangle in Vic early Jan, any suggestions for areas? Empty Re: New member, long time viewer. I'm heading to the golden triangle in Vic early Jan, any suggestions for areas?

Post  Guest Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi JoshAU,
Welcome to the forum.
Detecting in the GT?
You can practically detect anywhere.Plenty places to have a swing.
Might get a Tully maps and hit the spots.
There are always forum members detecting somewhere in the area you are interested.Few guys get regularly together for a weekend away.
I am sure someone here will take you for a day out.
Post when you want to go detecting and you never know your luck.
Dunolly bakery is a place you might come across few in the morning before they head off to goldfields.

Do a day training which will save you years trying to learn by yourself.
There are few post regarding setting.Have a quick read there:

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/search?search_keywords=SETTINGS

Happy gold hunting.
(i am impressed with your over 2 foot targets cheers )

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

New member, long time viewer. I'm heading to the golden triangle in Vic early Jan, any suggestions for areas? Empty Re: New member, long time viewer. I'm heading to the golden triangle in Vic early Jan, any suggestions for areas?

Post  joshAU Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi GoldEN, and thanks for your reply.
Last time we were there we spoke to a few people and got a few suggestions.
We will do so again.
We will certainly visit the bakery again, last time I think we had lunch there almost every day. good food and coffee.

Regarding the Tully maps, is there much additional info in them when compared to the info on Geovics site?
I had an admittedly quick glance at one when one helpful local was suggesting an area, the gold diggings areas seemed to have the same information as geovic.
However I didnt look at every page.

I think I'll also have a chat to the staff at Coiltek, where we will be hiring another detector from, and see if they can suggest some areas.

Re over two feet - I was surprised too.
some of the small shot we found around two feet were not solid sounds, more like whispers, sounding almost ghostlike, but repeatable.
The whispier, fainter sounds were more often deep round lead shot, the more solid signals were often 22 casings. I guess the spherical nature of the shot might not reflect the signal as evenly.

We actually dug a target about three feet on the last day, we had our own Ok-tedi mine going, from what originally sounded like a faint signal.
We dug down, in an old stream bed, and the signal continued to get stronger.
after passing some old victorian china, then the remains of an old octagonal glass bottle, we passed a layer of clay about 6 inches deep, and were getting a near contstant signal.
We were getting really excited, and tired, when we pulled out this large lump out that was giving the signal.
unfortunately, when we got it out, it appeared to be some sort of tube shape, caked in mud and dirt.
The tube appeared made of some sort of black material, that has a almost sparkly grain inside it when you broke a bit off.
Not sure if it was originally an iron pipe, or what, but testing an inch by inch piece failed to get a signal, but the whole thing did.
I'm going to have a look at it with the 4500 when I get over there again, and failing that, smash it apart to see the cause of the signal.
I suspect though, that it was an iron pipe that had completely rusted and bled into the soil... but I don't really know.
Still, it was exciting.

Thanks again GoldEN, I appreciate the advice, and I'll have a look at pages on settings.

joshAU
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down