Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth

5 posters

Go down

The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth Empty The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth

Post  deutran Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:08 pm

One of the things I often notice is comparisons with operating frequencies for PI's on regarding depths on large gold.With VLF's it was well known that higher frequencies were used for small shallow gold and low frequencies for the deep large gold.
In a PI the width of each pulse is more appropriate,longer pulses for the deeper larger gold etc.For small gold a very important factor is how quickly the pulse is shutdown and the ability to receive the tiny short duration emf generated in the small nuggets.New electronics with faster switching times and digital processing has allowed these improved detectors to be designed.
Heres a great link to some excellent information:
http://www.nuggetshooter.com/articles/UnderstandingPIdetector.html
Many thanks to the Author for this.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth Empty Re: The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth

Post  gcause Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for the great link Deutran, I never knew that clay could create its own magnetic field, go figure. Shocked
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth Empty pulses

Post  mungoman Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:27 am

G'day, the majority of clays that have the reddish tinge have iron (sesquisoides), but the lighter and whiter clays are composed of silica and aluminium.
mungoman
mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth Empty Re: The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth

Post  gcause Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 am

Yeah where we go we get both kinds, the reddish one in the top layers and the white clay at the bottom. So that's two potential magnetic fields by the sounds of it given what the article was saying.
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks for the link deutran. Makes me want to open up my detector and "beef it up", but I know better than to do that.
Thanks again
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth Empty pulses

Post  mungoman Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:54 am

And then there's the amount of salt in the soil, which is another good conductor, which could also deteriorate the signal...Gees just as well we don't give up to easy...
mungoman
mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

The role of frequency and pulse width with PI's and VLF's on depth Empty The role of frequency and pulse width

Post  sandy2010 Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks for that info. dutran........fascinating stuff! (we certainly get a lot out of this forum).....................I would have liked to have had his thoughts on BBS.
I was intrigued to read about "end of swing" noise (EFE).

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:32 am

So now you can see why the Infinium and the itty bitty pack of 8 AAs can get such good depth and run time and why simply bunging on a bigger battery will not increase depth by very much Very Happy]
The reason the large batts are required for the MLs is to power the extra processing ccts, not to be able to pump more current into the coil.
When you compare the field strengths between the Infinium and the Ml PIs, the difference is insignificant. The MLs get their magical advantages on small nuggs from their signal processing.

Back to top Go down