Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beechworth Vic?

4 posters

Go down

Beechworth Vic? Empty Beechworth Vic?

Post  goldentim Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:18 pm

hey everyone, I have recently relocated to Albury and am thinking about going to check out the Beechworth area for a detect. Is there much in the way of crown land or state forest around those parts?. Might be getting a little warm but im sure early mornings would be fine for a swing, just got to watch out for the snakes..
cheers
Tim
goldentim
goldentim
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Beechworth Vic? Empty Re: Beechworth Vic?

Post  Kon61gold Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi Tim

I think there is an Doug Stone Map of the area and if you check Detector Clubs on the main index, you will find a Branch of the PMAV at Yackandandah and a phone number, they will be able to give you some local knowledge of the area.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi Au Tim.

I used to go along reedy creek around Eldorado collecting agates and smokey/Amethyst quartz crystals years ago.

It was before i owned a detector, however a bloke showed me 2 small (~0.7gram) nuggets he got with an old garret detector from bedrock on the edge of reedy creek close to Woragee. The spot was very close to a road that followed the creek. (he suggested i try panning there)

Others who live down that way will have a better idea. I do remember a thread back a year? that had question similar to yours. It had a few replies on the area.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:08 am

Tim, Google geovic, when the page comes up click on the picture of vic on the right, then press layers, then zoom into the area your interested in,then in the map layers section on the right click land status and boundaries, click crown land,then go up click minerals, click leads and working details,deep leads,operating gold mines,mines and mineral occurrances,then go down to topographic click water courses and contours, thats what i look for.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:14 pm

gid-day Tim
I lived in Beechworth for 10 yrs. I sluiced and panned Reidy creek from the falls to Eldorado and never found a piece of gold to call a nugget, coins and relics are to be found detecting but Yacandandah- Myrtleford Stoney ck. areas are an other ball game do some home work on those areas and you will come up with the goods
Regards Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  goldentim Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:24 pm

hey, thanks for the advice guys. I will check out that geovic online mapping software, I have seen it done before while I was down in Victoria earlier in the year. I think with the heat at the moment I might be timming a detect for when its a tad cooler, man its hot here in Albury today.. Sounds like this Yacandanda is the place, will follow it up..
cheers
Tim
goldentim
goldentim
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down