Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best allround coil for SD2200v2?

+3
rc62burke
Fisherman
Mattymatt
7 posters

Go down

Best allround coil for SD2200v2? Empty Best allround coil for SD2200v2?

Post  Mattymatt Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi, Any opinions on a good all round coil for a 2200?

I want to find a mono that is not to noisy on this machine.

I know most of you have 45's cause most of the stuff on here is about them.

But if anyone can help on the 2200 it would be appreciated. I'm stuck Best allround coil for SD2200v2? Icon_cry

Thanks' Matt

Mattymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattymatt Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Also is it worth using Mono's on the 22's or should i just stick with dd's???

Mattymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Best allround coil for SD2200v2? Empty Re: Best allround coil for SD2200v2?

Post  Fisherman Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:28 pm

G day Matt
I've got a 2200v2 and the only mono coil i really use now is the 8" commander.

I've got a couple of other mono's that i find a bit too noisy so i don't really use them anymore but iv'e had a bad run this year and hav'nt been able to get on the goldfields much since i've had the 2200v2 so maybe someone else can help.

The 14" round coiltek DD pro elite is my favorite coil, smooth as silk, sensitive and punches real deep. It's also the only coil i use on the beach now and it was designed for the SD/GP's.
If you hav'nt got it get it you wont be disappointed.

Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi Matt
Would have to agree with Fish that 11 or 14 dd is a good coil choice for the Vic goldfields at the moment.This year we have had average rainfall for the first time in years.Moisture in the top layer of the soil is something that is rarely discussed,but this does have an effect on the threshold of our machines.Once this has evaporated or moved to a lower level those fient signals we are after are more easy to find.I cant comment on a 2200v2 ability to run monos as I have never used one.If you are ever near Maryborough I will be happy to lend you a 11 comander mono to try on your machine.Email me thru site if interested
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:05 pm

G day Matt
I forgot to mention if your only running your machine at 6v your in for a struggle.
I run mine at 7.3v and this smooths the threshold out.
I read somewhere that the SD's power the detector functions first then the audio gets what's left over, so running the voltage a bit higher (7.3v) means there's plenty left over for the audio. I don't know if that's correct or not no doubt someone will set me straight if it's not but whatever the reason a regulated 7.3v will make a big difference to your threshold in my opinion.

Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattymatt Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks Brett/Dig that helps alot.

I do run my machine at 6v and the threshhold is noisy even with a dd.
is it just case of a new battery to run the higher voltage or is it a bit more than that?.

Thanks for the offer dig i just might take you up on that.

I just got a 14" CT mono which i will try this wk end if thats no good i'll 14dd.

Thanks, Matt

Mattymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:54 pm

G day Matt
You've got a couple of options the first one and probably the best is to get a regulated Li ion set up that will get rid of the weight of a sla battery but their not cheap.
Coiltek make this one http://www.coiltek.com.au/accessories.htm

Another option would be to get a Detacc step up regulator from Tackline Bendigo if they still make them. With one of these you can use your old 6v batteries and they will step up the output to 7.2v from memory or it could be 7.3 i can't recall anyway i'm not sure you can still get them you would have to give them a call.

Lastly and probably the least desirable would be to get a step down regulator from 12v to 7.3v of course this puts an even bigger battery on your back, Coiltek used to make them. I still use this system but i'm a big bloke and don't notice the extra weight all that much. Probably the only addvantage to this system is one battery will last days so you don't have any fights over the lighter plug.

I have the CT 14" round mono and would not recommend it at 6v But the CT 14" DD pro elite is lively at 6v but usable.

If your detector blows up and you have been running it at more than 6v you will probably void your warranty (a good reason not to buy any regs from a back yarder) but they are really good in the ML service dept and i don't think you would have any problems with them fixing it up as i don't think there would be many SD's on the goldfields of Australia that are running at 6v but that's just my thoughts.

Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattymatt Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks very much Brett you've been a great help

It is much appreciated, I will be getting myself the 7.3v battery
and a couple of new dd's. i'm still gunna give this new 14 mono a whirl tomorrow just for the hell of it
prob end up putting the stock 11 back on.

Anyone wanna swap some coils i got a brand new ct 10x5 mono used for about 2 hours and a brand new ct14" mono not used yet but prob will have bout 2 hours use on it by tomorrow arvo.

I will swap for dd's will consider different sizes.

Thanks Matt

Mattymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Best allround coil for SD2200v2? Empty SD2200 / mono's

Post  rc62burke Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Matt
I am running mono's only on my 2200 main coil 20"NF, 11" minlab mono, have used 16"NF & also have the standard 11"dd just in case, I use a signal enhancer to help those faint signals stand out, I only have the 6v battery set up but intend to get the regulated system early next year, All coils are round best for coverage & depth.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:46 am

I think 14" DD PRO is something for you to try. See if you can rent one for a day from nearest retailer. If you are a "regular" they might evel let you borrow one for a day to see if you want it. IMHO a very good coil for older machines.

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattymatt Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi lee i see your from Townsville maybe the soil is quieter in queensland? I just find mono's to noisy but it could be my inexperience. Maybe i should give em another go. As for the 14" DD, I have one of these and it is now my favorite coil but i still come home empty handed!

Matt.

Mattymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Best allround coil for SD2200v2? Empty Best allround coil

Post  Grandfather Johnson Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:53 pm

G'Day,IMHO i think the round Coiltek 14 pro dd coil is the best allround coil for any machine up to and including the 4000,good ground coverage ,runs fairly quite and is consistant in stability,cant beat it. Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Best allround coil for SD2200v2? Empty 2200v2

Post  evan2010 Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Ive got a 2200v2 which I bought new in kalgoorlie last year. Ive only run the 11inch DD that came with it and a 15x12 DD Commander coil that I purchased at the same time on it in the goldfields, however when I got my 4500 earlier this year I also purchased a 6inch coiltek goldstalker mono for tiny slugs and pinpointing. Anyway out of curiosity I put the 6inch on the 2200 and it didnt run too bad although where I live there isnt a lot of mineralisation so until you try it on hot ground its hard to tell
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue May 11, 2010 9:22 pm

G'day Matt.

The 17x11"nugget finder Advantage is probably one of the quietest mono coils,to use on the 2200,compared to all other round monos,regardless of brand. If you mostly work reasonably high mineralized ground,forget about monos alltogether,and stick with the DDs .
Under most circumstances,Lees right about round coils punching deeper than their counterpart brothers of the same size in elliptical configuration
The 7.3volt system is a must.Just like Brett stated,slightly smoother threshold,and a little more punch to the coil in terms of sensitivity and depth.
The new 14 inch round DD Elite pro by coiltek or the 15x12 DD Commander coil are excellent allrounders.The Coiltek going slightly deeper on gold 5gram and above,with the Commander being slightly more quieter,but also giving a slightly sharper signal on the same ground and target.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattymatt Thu May 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks guys, but that is an old post i got rid of that thing ages ago, got me a 4000. ahhh. my fav coil now is the mini ufo.
Cheers Matt

Mattymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down