Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations for a Newbie

+4
DetectorDave
Aussiedetecting
XIV
RichandSue
8 posters

Go down

Recommendations for a Newbie Empty Recommendations for a Newbie

Post  RichandSue Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:27 am

Hi,
I am looking at taking gold prospecting as a hobby.

I have done it once before on a tag along tour a couple of years ago (Mt Browne) and had such a great time I have always wanted to do it again. I am now retired and am looking for something that will take me away from the home Smile.

Not sure if it was the gold prospecting or just the area around Mt Browne that appealed the most but we all had fun and great companionship.

I was using one of the latest Minelab detectors (and did find gold).

I have read the forum and there does seem to be a real bias towards the Minelab - for good reasons I expect (if i could find gold on my first trip then the detector would have to been good:). But I think it was a combination of the detector and the great help I got from the trip leader (Mark from GPA)

Unfortunately I can not afford or justify buying the latest and greatest Minelab at this stage and was considering
a Whites TDI Pro OZ series. Would this be a good detector for a novice or are there other good options.

Thanks to all in advance,
Rich

RichandSue
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-10-30

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for a Newbie Empty Re: Recommendations for a Newbie

Post  XIV Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:05 am

RichandSue wrote:Hi,

I have read the forum and there does seem to be a real bias towards the Minelab - for good reasons I expect (if i could find gold on my first trip then the detector would have to been good:). But I think it was a combination of the detector and the great help I got from the trip leader (Mark from GPA)

Unfortunately I can not afford or justify buying the latest and greatest Minelab at this stage and was considering
a Whites TDI Pro OZ series. Would this be a good detector for a novice or are there other good options.

Rich
first of all HI Richandsue
i dont know what your budget is, but all and all u can't really beat the minelab. i have and old 3800 and still find gold. thinking of trading it in for the NEW and IMPROVED 5000, but yet still don't want to part with nelly lol.
if u look on ebay and some of the other sites, you will find a detector that is to your liking for the price u want to pay.

or have a look in wanted items or to sell on here and u may find what u r looking for as well as u can ask the questions that u wish to know about the different detectors
happy hunting
XIV
XIV
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi Rich,
and welcome to the forum.
Its great to take this hobby and enjoy what it has to offer.
You will find a lot of informations and lot of educational posts about anything relating to gold hunting.
Use a little search window on right hand side on top of the start page.
If you are complete newbie good idea is to join a local detecting club. Doing a training day is next wise decision.
I have also find a gold on my training day out with Mark (GPA).

Unfortunately I can not afford or justify buying the latest and greatest Minelab at this stage

There is a difference in words afford and justify.Depend what is your idea of this hobby.How much time you will spend detecting, what is your expectation of this hobby etc.
It cost us lot of money going detecting(detector,car,petrol,food, equipment etc etc).Return? if this is a job most of us would be broke long time ago.
Hobby?
Day out, relaxing, walking, clean air, nice bush, beautiful scenery, great mates etc etc.

As you correctly pointed out most of the guys/girls (who been doing this for years) recommend to everyone to get a Minelab machine? Why?
According to their experience they are best suited for Australian conditions.

What is your budget for a detector?
I am sure you will have a few suggestions and plenty answers to your question.
Good luck and enjoy the forum.
GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Not arguing that minelab will find you gold. But some of the more everyday budget suited detectors will too. Brands like garrett, fisher, Teknetics & even the goldhunter range do ok. No doubt you have done your research & have come across some of the detectors they have to offer. But if you want to save time feel free to get in touch.
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  RichandSue Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks guys.

My budget, got my 60th birthday in a few weeks so not sure how much my family thinks of me. Left to them I reckon I could raise a few dollars only Smile.

I am hoping to get all my gear for $2-3000, I will supply the rest.

It is like a lot of hobbies, the initial set up can be expensive but the fact is I do not have $6500 spare to buy a new Minelab and am considering other options. I am sure every one didn't start with the latest and greatest but I do want something which is reasonable and will find gold, hence the post.

Thanks all again,
Rich

RichandSue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  DetectorDave Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 am

Richard,

The standard coil that comes with the Whites TDI Pro is not the best for finding gold. However, the $4,000 you save by not buying the latest ML 5000 will enable you to buy a couple of Nugget Finder or Coiltek coils which the TDI Pro can use. Plus you will still have plenty of change left over to cover your fuel bills.

The 14 x 9 NF Advantage is a great coil and puts the White's machine on an almost even footing with the Minelab. In fact, I'll go as far as saying it isn't so much the choice of detector (within reason) but more about the operators skill in using it and choice of coil to suit the environment.

Get the White's, some good coils and then practise with it until you're an expert. You can always upgrade to a Minelab if you find enough gold to pay for it. Too often you see near new GPX 5000 machines on ebay for sale. Ever wondered why?

cheers,
Dave

DetectorDave
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  RichandSue Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 am

DetectorDave wrote:Richard,

The standard coil that comes with the Whites TDI Pro is not the best for finding gold. However, the $4,000 you save by not buying the latest ML 5000 will enable you to buy a couple of Nugget Finder or Coiltek coils which the TDI Pro can use. Plus you will still have plenty of change left over to cover your fuel bills.

The 14 x 9 NF Advantage is a great coil and puts the White's machine on an almost even footing with the Minelab. In fact, I'll go as far as saying it isn't so much the choice of detector (within reason) but more about the operators skill in using it and choice of coil to suit the environment.

Get the White's, some good coils and then practise with it until you're an expert. You can always upgrade to a Minelab if you find enough gold to pay for it. Too often you see near new GPX 5000 machines on ebay for sale. Ever wondered why?

cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave

RichandSue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:02 am

Gday Richard

If you can afford a new whites tdi pro in your budget for your detector then you can afford a good second hand mid range minelab machine as well, something like an sd2200d or even a gp extreme, both are very capable detectors and will find good gold.

Machines in that price range particularly from say ebay often come with many other extras as well, like spare batteries, boosters, leads, coils etc, which you will find that you will need in the field anyway, no matter what new machine you buy you will have to pay for accessory items as well above and beyond the price of the detector, so if you can get some extras in with the deal then why not.

Another consideration is that providing your minelab is stock standard and not modified you can have it repaired quickly if need be by minelab here in Australia, I couldnt tell you where you would get a whites repaired here?, which in fact I would be interested to know about in case I buy one at some time myself.

Another thing is dont be disalusioned about seeing late model minelab detectors being sold, this is normal and happens all the time, people sell and upgrade, or get out of detecting, or maybe even sell to cash up to enable them to buy the latest minelab release, the are many gpx 4500-5000s about at the moment and I think that latter may be the reason for it as something new is not too far away.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:07 pm

RichandSue,

I use a GPX4500, and since I've been detecting I've met many other detectorists out and about using all different models of detectors and who find gold regulary, howver the one thing in common is they were minelab models, I have not yet met anyone detecting for gold whilst in the bush looking for gold using an other make of detector. However it is a fact that many proffessional detectorist do use other brands as a back up for a specific job when required.

As an all round gold detector the minelab is the way to go, shop smart and get the best your budget will allow, should you decide later that the hobby is not for you then you should near get your purchase price back and if you were able to get a bargain initially may even make a profit,

G.B.

G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for a Newbie Empty Well I finally did it

Post  RichandSue Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:56 pm

After a fair amount of hunting around and worry I bought a secondhand minelab gpx 4500 today.

I was not sure whether to go for a Whites or the minelab but following on from the advice received I went with the minelab even though the Whites does appear to be a good machine. This machine is the same as the one I have used once before (and did find gold).

Reading all that was going on with the troubles with Ebay and Gumtree and really not knowing much about the detectors I mad a decision to only buy from a recognised detecting shop. I probably paid a bit more for it than Ebay but I got peace of mind and fantastic service plus a few other things I needed at a good price, including a verified machine and a warranty for 6 months..

I ended up going with Nuggets form Down Under in Mudgee who I can strongly recommend if you are on the look out for any gear. They did not have a second hand one in the shop but contacted me when one came in after I let them know I was interested. The lady I dealt with was Kim and I found her very helpful and great to to deal with.

I now have to learn how to use it and as a few other newbies on the forum have stated find out where in the ACT area you can go for a fossick.

Rich

RichandSue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Top stuff indeed and a big congtatulations cheers

Have dealt with NFDU before and yep as you say top service.

All the best on your adventures and hope ya find lots cheers
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Congrats on your purchase and wish you all the best with your new hobby... Very Happy May all your holes be golden ones...

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  RichandSue Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks guys.

Rich

RichandSue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Good on you Rich,going through a dealer you got the right advise,a detector thats excellent value and will undoubtably give you many happy years of use.It will also hold its value.
Best of luck
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  RichandSue Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:18 pm

deutran wrote:Good on you Rich,going through a dealer you got the right advise,a detector thats excellent value and will undoubtably give you many happy years of use.It will also hold its value.
Best of luck
Steve

Steve,
It has made the hole process of buying and detector a lot more pain and worry free.

And as said getting great service helps a lot as well, leaves you a warm feeling that you are doing the right thing.

Have a good one,
Richard

RichandSue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg T Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:04 am

Good one Richard,

Now we both have the gear just need to get out there and learn lots more! I will pm you with some dates for potential trips.

Greg

Greg T
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down