Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best time of year to hit the triangle....

+4
stilltrying
getascripter
lbg dreamer
welshjim
8 posters

Go down

Best time of year to hit the triangle.... Empty Best time of year to hit the triangle....

Post  welshjim Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Interested in peoples views; only been in oz/vic a couple of years and starting to plan weekends up into the triangle. Being new to the country (relatively) it looks like Summer would be too hot for digging holes and winter too cold; and the months in between hunting season for the native wildlife Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ...

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not complaining about your weather, just interested in the strategies people take for their detecting (all year round??); I've been holding off heading up to find my fortune (other that a few walking trips around to get lay of land), but it's just dawned on me that winter might have been best time to go..

welshjim
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Best time of year to hit the triangle.... Empty Re: Best time of year to hit the triangle....

Post  lbg dreamer Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Anytime is a good time too go
As long as you are well prepared for high or low temperatures
Might also have too consider any ailments you have
That may make it harder for you
But presuming your strong and physically fit
People of the perfect health are lucky and can go all year round
Flies and mossies are always thick in summer though
And a lot more snakes about
Hope this helps but I'm sure a lot more people from that particular area will fill you inn
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Best time of year to hit the triangle.... Empty Re: Best time of year to hit the triangle....

Post  getascripter Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm with lbg dreamer ... provided it's not snowing, or it's under 36C, it's time to go detecting!

If it's cold, put some more clothes on. If it's hot, take some more clothes off! Safeguard against frostbite and sunburn. In summer wear snake guards. In winter wear a beanie.

I 'tent' it when I'm detecting ... it's pretty easy to keep a tent warm ... if it's too hot, it's uncomfortable ... but just remember what the old timers put up with Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Best time of year to hit the triangle.... Empty anytime

Post  stilltrying Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:04 pm

I have not known it to snowin the triangle except maybe near ballarat which I don't go to anyway.
So as far as I'm concerned anytime its all good, it never gets too hot or too cold.
When it's cold people whinge it's too cold when it's hot they whinge it's too hot.
doesn't make sense to me cos nobody listens anyway.
I'm just greatful to be out their no matter what the weather is. oh & if I could 24/7
Happy hunting all
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:55 pm

If its in winter and you dont have a 4x4 than it make it a tad harder to get close to isolated areas without walking great distances, other than that anytime of the year that your health and financial being will allow.
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2012-08-12

https://youtu.be/s_5Td2wPusA

Back to top Go down

Post  Auger Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:45 pm

welshjim,

Snakes are probably the only wildlife you need worry about, and then only at the height of summer when it may be too hot for human comfort anyway.

The weather in the Triangle (and any inland / elevated part of Vic) is more variable and extreme than Melb. I've been in various forests around the area for the last year and its been fairly cold lately, but it only got near zero Celsius overnight on a few occasions. One thing to also consider about winter is the shortness of the days. You need to get going early or you end up only getting a few hours "on the job".

Rain can be a problem, even if it has occured on days prior to your visit. Some tracks can be very slippery and and/or washed out, and of course the worst are in the wetter/hilly areas. For example, some well formed and maintained tracks off Slatey Creek at Creswick are really spooky to drive on after rain, in any type of vehicle.

BTW - rain in Vic is not restricted to winter - and weather can be quite different in Melb to that in (eg.) Bendigo due to the Divide etc.

Cheers - Phil
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Best time of year to hit the triangle.... Empty Triangle

Post  philip.j.thompson Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:14 pm

Summer stinking hot , Winter bloody cold , Autumn / spring bearable. Don't ever ever ever go there, you could be attacked by snakes, ticks, stinging trees ( oops wrong state) .. or bugger it go and have a go. my advice mate is the latter. Of course if you choose the former promulgate to all friends on any social media , especially fossicking forums , and leave it to me. Very Happy Caravan parks are good and do have loo's and showers
chow Phil pirat

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Best time of year to hit the triangle.... Empty ~Triangle~ The adventure

Post  Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 am

Hi Welsh Jim,

A lot of good info from posts above...and a little humour Smile Now anytime is a good time if your keen,ok if it`s cold you can rug up...and if it`s hot you can still cover up to protect from the at times fierce biting insects...Some Bushman repellent will help Smile Of course a good pair of snake gaitors to protect lower legs from joe blakes...A GPS will come in handy to get you back to your vehicle..as there is nothing worse than getting lost out there...oh well there is...getting lost out there without a GPS Laughing

As has been said if your fit enough and or coupled with the walking you will do out there in search for gold will reward you with improved fitness anyway,and with a good detector and the will to learn to do battle with your resolve to persist in your search for gold...You will dig a lot of junk...yes a real lot of junk...but you can be rewarded with gold.There are many that try detecting and find it`s not for them,and there are the ones who love the challenge and rewards besides finding gold...And you can finds mates who are as good as gold Smile

So what have you got to lose.....Your job...wife...girlfriend....boyfriend...your car...your pick...detector...after running away from a big brown / black / or tiger snake Laughing

Now you can still still keep some of the above Smile and really fall in love with detecting Smile

ATB out there and good luck.
Cheers Eureka Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltrying Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 am

Well their is a really good anwser to the best time to go to the triangle. I'd say that is about 170 years ago with todays technoligy.
We'd all be rich lol.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Best time of year to hit the triangle.... Empty 170 yrs ago

Post  philip.j.thompson Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Good point but I don't think I could have recharged the detectors then Very Happy
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  trianglemal Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:36 am

Its beautiful weather out here this morning in the triangle where I live out of Maldon. There was a decent frost this morning. The next few days will be warming up and might reach 22deg apparently during the early part of the week. That suits me because I only get out and about between Mon to Thurs generally when things are a bit quieter. Never go anywhere without skeeta repellant and usually pack for a full day out on foot in the scrub somewhere but never more than 2klms from where I park the car. I always overdress for the conditions of the day. Food & adequate water . Always got a spare mobile phone and spare gps and never really have problems with coms using Telstra around the bush. You think you can be in the remotest area some times around here in the triangle only to find the phone go off and that is probably a good thing if you are one up on the day which sometimes happens. The only snake I have seen anywhere out in the bush was last year at the back of my house where we had a rather large eastern brown attempting to squash the beeejeezus out of a shingleback lizard. Bullants are my only nemesis. I am at war with them constantly. Twisted Evil
trianglemal
trianglemal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  welshjim Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks all for the advise, one thing I prob overlooked is getting a GPS, phone is on its last legs so will dig around the interweb

welshjim
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down