Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lost in the bush..sort of

3 posters

Go down

lost in the bush..sort of Empty lost in the bush..sort of

Post  whickersnacker Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi all,Ive just bought an xterra to go over a place were an old mate of my dads made a reasonable living panning from the 1930s through to the mid 70s,{Gippsland}I have next to no experience and have a problem,there are tiny flakes of gold everywhere,and I mean everywhere over a wide area,im 99% sure its not pyrite.It is mostly contained within small quartz chips.It would take me all day to fill a matchbox full of these quartz chips,because my eyesight is not the best and its a very slow process for me, I liken it to searching for a grain of sugar in two litres of sand,and then probably only yeild 1 gram or less of gold per day.What to do?
There is a creek very close by but being in victoria it is more than likley illegal to start digging and sluicing,I am only 5 meters from a public road.{a dirt track used by local farmers}.
Is there some way I can tune the xterra to ignore the tiny stuff?
Im going mad digging holes and straining my eyes for very little gain,but every time I hit a target{3 or 4 every step when I dont dig} I wonder if its the biggy.{the used campervan and gtx biggy}
any helpful advice or suggestions would be much apprieciated.
cheers!

whickersnacker
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-30

Back to top Go down

lost in the bush..sort of Empty Re: lost in the bush..sort of

Post  Maestro Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 am

Check the DPI website http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/exploration-and-mining/prospecting-and-fossicking/faqs and if the creek is NOT listed then go for it !

Maestro
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

lost in the bush..sort of Empty Re: lost in the bush..sort of

Post  shelby23 Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:58 am

Hi
I watched “Gold Rush” on Discovery and YouTube and they used a shaker table to separate fine gold with no problems at all.
The Tables are being sold in Australia, advertised in Gem and treasure for sale.
Would be perfect for your problem, with the small gold you have to separate.
So good luck, with you gold spot.
Neale Bundaberg Queensland

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down