Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gold in creeks

5 posters

Go down

gold in creeks Empty gold in creeks

Post  bp77 Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm

i have been panning a creek for a while now and got some not to bad gold small but good. in the grass and wash on the sides of the creek but cant find it in the normal spots like insides of bends, deep crevices, etc. any ideas?
bp77
bp77
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

gold in creeks Empty gold in creeks

Post  monkey Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 pm

hi bp77 i have found the same in one of the creek i looked at after speeking to local they sed it had been dredged some years ago and it has never had a enough water sines to wash gold in to creek dont know for shore but just an idear allan
monkey
monkey
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

gold in creeks Empty Re: gold in creeks

Post  Tributer Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi bp77,

There should be gold in the deep crevices however in many cases i have found the gold will only rest where the strike of the rock is across the creek or at least angling towards a bank from the upstream side rather then crevices that flow with the line of the creek.

I always favour bedrock bases to detect/pan wherever they are in or on the edge of a creek. (except for some clay layers that also rap gold.

I have a creek where most of the gold is on old terraces in bedrock 100 metres up the slope from the creek. A little gold is on rock ledges on the edge of the creek below the terrace, but there is little gold in the main crevices of the creek.

Having said that i have found that there are many exceptions to the rule and gold can be in strange places on creeks. Often it depends on the gradient of the creek with gold in the flatter sections below a steeper section of flow.

I know its all basic stuff but i thought i would mention it anyway.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

gold in creeks Empty Re: gold in creeks

Post  boilamaker Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:38 am

bp77 wrote:i have been panning a creek for a while now and got some not to bad gold small but good. in the grass and wash on the sides of the creek but cant find it in the normal spots like insides of bends, deep crevices, etc. any ideas?
it sounds to me that it may be washing in from hill ive found plenty of spots that have traces and had to follow a long way up creeks to find wher its washing in

boilamaker
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-01-29

Back to top Go down

gold in creeks Empty creeks

Post  mungoman Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:55 am

Boilamaker, deposition of any suspended debris in a creek, whether it's gold or just sediment is determined by its size/weight, the volume of water, the creeks "fall" and its restriction by the banks of the creek. When the creek runs a banker, and the creeks bed is  'U' shaped, rather than it being flatter, sediment or woody debris will be left on the top off the bank until the flow of water decreases. By the sound of it, I'd walk further down the creek until it widens and you can see a change in the size of the sediment deposited, then pothole down to clay or bedrock like Tributer says. Good luck mate.
mungoman
mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down