Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012

3 posters

Go down

Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012 Empty Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012

Post  shelby23 Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:34 am

Hi
This is a great article, well written and full of hope for all detectoriest of the ultimate find “GOLD”.
As the Gold Season is coming upon us, in a few months.
I am already getting the overwhelming feeling it is going to be the best 2012 season ever in W.A.
I can imagine all the camper vans being dusted off & stocked up and the last of the extra water tanks being welded in place.
When I look at the photos in the article it can only stir you up to want to get out there amongst it.
I am hoping everyone writes an article as we are hungry for stories and adventures of gold finds.
No mater what you are going to write.
I am very sure it will be read eagerly so we can feel we are on your adventure together.
Sharing the heights of excitement and maybe doing the Happy Dance in front of our computer screen and cheering the writer on to more finds and follow up stories to keep the Gold Dream we have fresh and alive in our minds.
The feel of that gold slug hitting the palm of your hand and the gravity of its impact is a feeling like no other.
I know we can all get together in brotherhood, as we all have a common goal on this great forum, “finding the yellow stuff”.
To read there were chain lines over this Virgin Patch as the writer Wolfman says is amazing to read.
I know gold is where you find it and this story is no exception.
So it is coil on the ground and great stories around the camp fire at night that spreads the word of this great hobby of ours.
The shearing of the location of this patch to his friends shows a great side to the writer and the 6 ounce find by his friends was a great fellow ship feeling in the story.
So the 18 ounce find for 10 weeks detecting will be an adventure he will remember fondly for years to come.
I see Woody gets a small mention “yes only joking’ I would just like to stick to the detecting aspect of the story and the great gold find,” so lets not go there please”.
All in all a great read for me.
All the best to all
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012 Empty Re: Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012

Post  big chop Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 pm

shelby do you know this prospector wolfman.
cheers BC
big chop
big chop
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012 Empty Re: Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012

Post  Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:33 pm

shelby i thought u were goin back to the bar this year?

regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:50 am

Gday

Great story, and as the writer said an old chain mark running right through the middle of the patch, its not surprising that they didnt hit a target though, many of us have probably done the exact same thing and walked through unremarkable looking country with our eyes set on something more interesting further on.

There are thousands of acres of unremarkable looking ground all around Meekatharra, but every now and again something new will be walked on, its the same old story you simply have to walk the ground, expend the effort and sometimes it will pay off.

A couple of things that I would like to add is that dont ever be put off when you pull up somewhere and you do see lots of chain marks, I always see this as an opportunity for some easy gold, firstly no one will expend the effort chaining unless they have found something and are after more, and secondly they very rarely get it all, as the writer of this story says his friends went back and scored a six ouncer.

This brings us back to what I have always advised, when you get on to what you believe is a virgin patch then work it with all the coils you have available, provided that you have the time that is, if not just do the best you can, clean up your holes and leave it as tidy as you can so as to not attract anyone elses attention, and then log the exact spot into the gps for a return visit when you change machines or have different coils in your arsenal, dont rely on your memory to find it again, the same ground over here can look very different from one season to another, and at different times in the same year.

Another thing worth noting is that very often there can be another patch nearby, and it may be even bigger than the one you found, so doing another trip to the area might be very lucretive for you at a future time,and remembering that if the area has produced gold in one spot then there is bound to be more somewhere nearby.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012 Empty Hi from Neale in Biloela Queensland

Post  shelby23 Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi Big Chop
I do not know the prospector wolfman.
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012 Empty Re-working A vergin patch-Gold Gem and treasure page 6 March 2012

Post  Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Yes Shelby23 that area looked similar to the area we were working last year old and new chain marks every where, we found gold all around the area in the chain lines and out side of their chain lines, my young bloke got a faint sound which turned out to be 25oz in rock about 2-3' down took us 3 days to get it all out off the hole and it looked like the old timers had dug this hole after we had finished, we all were rapped with this find, needed a couple of days off after that though hard yaker!!! We all ended up with some nice Gold after this trip. Hope this year will be as good. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Wolfman is from South Australia, Have sent him an email to let him know his story was liked & being talked about on this forum.
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Working a Virgin Patch- Gold Gem and Treasure Page 6 March 2012 Empty Hi from Neale in Biloela Queensland

Post  shelby23 Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Ashley
Thank you for letting him know.
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  big chop Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 am

cheers ash
big chop
big chop
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 am

To All, Talked to Wolfman, Email & Phone, He has been to the forum now & said it was a good read, Wanted to join in but time was against him ( preparing to head west ) so he decided to leave it till after this season and hopefully another great story or two. Should be over the Nullabor by now ! Best of luck to you Wolfman & Maureen and just might run into you somewhere out in the Goldfields.
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down