Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A NEW LOW AT OPHIR RESERVE

+3
AlluvialRic
detecta2
x-terra
7 posters

Go down

A NEW LOW AT OPHIR RESERVE Empty A NEW LOW AT OPHIR RESERVE

Post  x-terra Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:54 am

I FOUND THIS AT THE RESERVE ON FRIDAY
A NEW LOW AT OPHIR RESERVE Img_0510
A NEW LOW AT OPHIR RESERVE Img_0511

Last edited by x-terra on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : BAD SPELLING)

x-terra
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2011-09-30

Back to top Go down

A NEW LOW AT OPHIR RESERVE Empty Re: A NEW LOW AT OPHIR RESERVE

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 am

It looks like its been there for quite awhile though, very neat edges on the hole and rectangle shape dig out.

Looks like it was a purpose dug hole for something other than the normal detector hole I reckon.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  x-terra Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:15 am

THEY HAVE DUG IT OUT WITH EXCAVATOR AND YOU CAN SEE WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN OVER IT WITH A DETECTOR AND DUG HOLES. THEY HAVE REMOVED MATERIAL IN ABOUT 50MM LAYERS

x-terra
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  detecta2 Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Way to neat for 'cut and run', also its not a big area and always plenty of locals cruising around, the reserve trust would probably have something to do wth it in some way.
While on the subject of Ophir and the trust, if your camping there as well as paying your $5 a night, make sure you give a kind word of thanks to the volunteers,mostly older gents that contribute their time for no reward.A lot of you would know Peter Culverson,an old hand in the gold finding business,now in his mid seventies and still looking after us at the reserve ,you'll see him most arvos doing the garbarge or pumping water up to the toilet tank,. Theres Ray in his eighties still drives the mower around,rounds up fire wood,garbage etc camping there 3 months of the year wth his lovely Mrs ,Ray was born in the area his grandmother was the local school teacher when he was a little bloke. Then there is Kevin ,in his late seventies was a stone mason on Katoomba council for 40 years and youll see a bit of his fine masonry work around the reserve, Kevins mother in her later years would camp /pan on the reserve by herself for long months on end and was affectionately known as the 'queen of ophir'. All good blokes that will do whatever they can for you,shake their hands, givem a pat on the back.
Its also a great place for spooks,many people have had an encounter their, awsome place to be camped there by yourself on a cold night when the fog is full on, other than the hairs standing up on the back of my neck,Im still waiting for that encounter.

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:41 pm

detecta2 wrote:Way to neat for 'cut and run', also its not a big area and always plenty of locals cruising around, the reserve trust would probably have something to do wth it in some way.
While on the subject of Ophir and the trust, if your camping there as well as paying your $5 a night, make sure you give a kind word of thanks to the volunteers,mostly older gents that contribute their time for no reward.A lot of you would know Peter Culverson,an old hand in the gold finding business,now in his mid seventies and still looking after us at the reserve ,you'll see him most arvos doing the garbarge or pumping water up to the toilet tank,. Theres Ray in his eighties still drives the mower around,rounds up fire wood,garbage etc camping there 3 months of the year wth his lovely Mrs ,Ray was born in the area his grandmother was the local school teacher when he was a little bloke. Then there is Kevin ,in his late seventies was a stone mason on Katoomba council for 40 years and youll see a bit of his fine masonry work around the reserve, Kevins mother in her later years would camp /pan on the reserve by herself for long months on end and was affectionately known as the 'queen of ophir'. All good blokes that will do whatever they can for you,shake their hands, givem a pat on the back.
Its also a great place for spooks,many people have had an encounter their, awsome place to be camped there by yourself on a cold night when the fog is full on, other than the hairs standing up on the back of my neck,Im still waiting for that encounter.

Very well said!
There are a few identical to that scattered throughout Ophir reserve, most of them dug by Peter Culverson. It's a for a slab for campers to park thier vans or a bit of solid level ground for a tent or annex. It just never got poured for what ever reason. A lot of the funds for those slabs came out of the pockets of the blokes mentioned above.

Ophir is a lovely part of the world, well worth a visit and still producing good gold to the dedicated or lucky.

Cheers,

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:52 pm

That is pretty deep for a slab for an annex , would be a waste of concrete and would've been much cheaper to bang in a few pegs and lay some boards around for forming the shape .

Its got to be something else , UFO landing site ? someone digging for gold ?

Back to top Go down

Post  x-terra Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:09 pm

With u bruiser being at least 400mm deep, wasn't there a month ago who knows will ask one of the care takers if I see them tomorrow cheers tim
Ps I needed to be in low 4X4 and was still a struggle to get there

x-terra
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  AlluvialRic Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 am

I don't know myself but looking at the leaf litter and piles of dirt it looks like its been there for a lot longer than a month. Looks many years old to me.

Maybe an archeological dig? Just a thought.

What else, if anything is around the immediate area.

Ric
AlluvialRic
AlluvialRic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-07-16

http://alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 am

Hi again Tim,
from what I understand, the slabs were cut in like that as they don't use reo and the slab top sits at ground level instead of having a slab sitting ontop of the ground like a house slab.

ask Bushie when he's doing a bin run.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 pm

I heard they were for a planed amenities block/s that was shelved for the moment...... stop people crapping everywhere

I'd say they were detected after by non related parties.....
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  detecta2 Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 pm

You ve got to detect any new grader cuts you see anywhere in the goldfields, when they cut a big flat 100m long opposite the beehives at Ophir a dozen nice pieces came off it next day ,we detected it while they were planting new trees there, amazing the difference 300mm /1'makes,

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:40 pm

detecta2 wrote:You ve got to detect any new grader cuts you see anywhere in the goldfields, when they cut a big flat 100m long opposite the beehives at Ophir a dozen nice pieces came off it next day ,we detected it while they were planting new trees there, amazing the difference 300mm /1'makes,
And once again for Minelabs deaf ears to hear " AMAZING THE DIFFERANCE 300MM / 1' MAKES"
Thanks Detecta 2
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:27 pm

Iv got a mate out there ATM, however i forgot to mention the ghost that haunts the location. Shocked
The one that drags a chain and wails right next to your tent/camper. looks like a convict that had half his/her head blown off by a powder cannon from the bygone era.
Is always looking over your shoulder while your digging giving you the cold shiver treatment.
The odor that accompanies this spook is similar to the one thats present when the yowie is near by, causing your legs to seize and forces you to emit an odor of your own. pale
The same being is able to shakeshift, and is similar looking to that of a hologram with technical issues, yet its the wailing that will bring most to their knees, a sound more annoying than a drunken mother in law mourning the loss of a still borne kitten.

Unable to run nor hide from the aftermath that becomes you latter in life, yet many choose not to tell of their tale....and i dont blame them.

Hey Wil, you have a bloody good time at Ophir mate. Laughing Laughing lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  hemi Tue May 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Exactly where at Ophir were these cuts
hemi