Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coil size as to ground mineralisation

3 posters

Go down

coil size as to ground mineralisation Empty coil size as to ground mineralisation

Post  marty Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi all,wondering if anyone can tell me if NF MONO coils from 18" down to 12" ( round and eliptical) would tend to run quieter as they went down in size on a 4500 or a 5000 in highly mineralised ground or would they become noisier. Any advice appreciated.THANKYOU

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

coil size as to ground mineralisation Empty Re: coil size as to ground mineralisation

Post  kon61 Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:32 pm

G'day Marty.

Rule of thumb here is that,the larger the mono coil,the greater the amount of EMI it will pick but,it will actually run slightly quieter over similar ground conditions than a smaller sized coil regardless of shape.Mind you all mono coils when used over high or extremely high mineralized ground do get noisy to run and give off false signals every now and again,more so with the previous model SD/GP detectors than with the GPX series of which the 5000 to date,runs smoother and quieter of them all. There is no purpose to dumb machines right down just so you can get them to run quiet and smooth at the cost of both sensitivity and depth.If one has to go to the extreme,you'd be better off changing over to a suitable size DD coil.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

coil size as to ground mineralisation Empty Re: coil size as to ground mineralisation

Post  deutran Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Marty
I would agree with Koni exactly.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  marty Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks guys,i have learnt about the EMI and larger coils through my own experience but didn"t know about smaller coils being quieter on mineralised ground.Thanks again.

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down