Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lift the Bonnet

2 posters

Go down

Lift the Bonnet Empty Lift the Bonnet

Post  Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:51 pm

The next day after traveling 400 Ks the kids wanted to go panning! So chuck the necessary bits in the back and off we go. 2 Ks down the road my 1990 mod 60 series land cruiser
stopped dead in it's tracks. Lift the bonnet had a quick looksee, Positive battery leadssssss not tight enough and burnt off one wire, no tools, hay I'm a mechanic, Pocket knife, cut off a piece of wire from the spotty's and re connected the burnt off lead. So where mobile again, did the day's panning, kids where happy, the cruiser not so happy?
Blown charge light relay $130.00 blown regulator unknown$ as yet genuine only$$ positive wires running through the dash which should be negative.
A total nightmare because of a loose battery connection.
Not so cheers~Chris. Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Lift the Bonnet Empty Re: Lift the Bonnet

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks Adrian, an effort it will be. as for terminals, they where new 8 months ago? I noticed the starter lead swinging in the breeze, so 8 months of 4X4ing I'd say that was the culprit? Finding a book with the right color codes is proving to be another nightmare! It appears my 1990 mod is a swing to the next mod? color codes are out the window.
So frustrating over something that shouldn't be!
Cheers Sad Sad Chris. Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Well my Landcruiser is all better now!
After replacing some burnt out wires & checking relays, I was confident I could start on the alternator. Brush's stuffed! Off to Repco "Sorry we don't list any spare parts for that alternator" WHAT! Toyota dealer Nope> Net Nope> off to our local auto elec $5.00 for a pair of brush's, unsolder resolder, simple as.
Still Not charging, second last resort, replace regulator, Toyota $235.00> Net $205.00> Local auto elec $65.00, checked resistance between old & new "No comparison"
All's good for a total of $70.00 and a tad of frustration!
P.s. I still never found the right wiring diagram for this 1990 60 series.
I feel better now! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by someday on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Toyota, not Repco.)

Back to top Go down

Post  golddigger Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:55 am

Did you check out 4 wheel forums? http://www.4wheeling.ca/archive/index.php?f-96.html&s=1b47dd7bcfb0e1f9c21c055452d1f7d4

golddigger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Not a bad Idea golddigger. Having the right wiring diagram would have made life easier!

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum