Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do you take?

+4
john1951
Pennyweight
TreatableRiverrat
crabby
8 posters

Go down

what do you take? Empty what do you take?

Post  crabby Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:20 am

just wondering as to what people take with them when they head off away from the car for the day?

crabby
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

what do you take? Empty Re: what do you take?

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am

hi
i allways carry a canteen of water.the cheap plastic canteens with the canvas pouch are ideal.i use cable ties to attach the pouch to my harness.
my mobile phone
band aids
1 x triangular bandage
sometimes my compass
pocket full of lollies
toilet paper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:38 am

I have replaced my minelab harness with a camelpak that has a 3 litre bladder... in it I carry knife..waterproof matches... fruit... whistle... gps.... and fly net. Must include a small first air kit as well....

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  TreatableRiverrat Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:39 pm

I always have my camel pak with a 3L bladder, toilet paper, reading glasses,a stretch bandage with clips for snake bite, a pocket knife, a hand held two way, lighter, mobile phone, sandwiches, some beef jerky (home made) to chew on, and extra water depending on the temperature
TreatableRiverrat
TreatableRiverrat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

what do you take? Empty What do I take?

Post  Pennyweight Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:40 pm

A positive attitude, a sense of direction....and Dunny Roll Razz
Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  john1951 Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 pm

If iam going looking for gold always take my detector
JM

john1951
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  crabby Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:46 pm

sweet , some good info Very Happy

crabby
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

what do you take? Empty What do you take?

Post  rc62burke Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi All
Wheather hunting or detecting Itake a day pack, hydration pack with 3l h2o, small bag with map compass & GPS 2 small first aid kits food for the day plus extra fire lighter (striker type ) survival blanket (alfoil type) knife, uhf, one first aid kit contains a survival kit ( fishing line & hooks etc ) extra water depending on the climate, head lamp type torch, note book & pen.
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  crabby Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 pm

i just bought a hydration pack and has heaps of pockets so this is all info Very Happy
definatly will have to get a snake bite kit after my find today Cool

crabby
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

what do you take? Empty "Essentials" for an anal retentive, obsessive compulsive detectorist.

Post  Jigalong Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:28 am

Hi Crabby,

I have a little backpack which I sling on after the harness is on. I don't like hydration packs as they are annoying to fill, often leak and it is hard to figure how much is left in them.

In my pack, I have the following :

UHF with long life lithion ion battery (clipped to a shoulder strap).
Magellan GPS and spare batteries.
A small 3" LED torch.
Cigarette lighter - a fire is nice at night if your lost - and easy for searchers to see.
Small compass in case GPS craps itself.
ENERGY BAR.
1 litre water bottle
Emergency specs (Those 2.5 mag type in a cylinder from the chemist)
Fly veil.
30 plus suntan stuff.
Lip stuff.
Lunch.
Small urine sample container for nuggets.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:00 pm

"Small urine sample container for nuggets."
Beats putting them in your mouth to wash them I suppose. Laughing
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  crabby Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:32 pm

thanx jigalong
not sure about the urine sample but everything else i can handle Very Happy

Last edited by crabby on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

crabby
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:46 am

Gday

Even if I am not intending on moving too far away from the camper these days I always carry my basic kit, which includes a water bottle, gps,whistle, folding pocket knife, uhf radio,spare batteries,all of this stuff stays permanently in the belt, and some toilet paper in the pocket, also I have one of those small round plastic cannisters with matches in it, its the type you get from the army ration packs, they are water proof and I just use some cable ties to attach it to my waist belt.

If for any reason that I stray too far away I will always start heading back when I am a little low on water, theres nothing worse than having to trudge for klms in the heat without a drink,and if you do happen to get lost things would be much worse without the water, so I always like to have enough for the trip back as well, the matches serve a couple of purposes and I see them as a tool of last resort so if you are lost you can light a fire to attract attention, or to keep you warm in the night to avoid exposure.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

what do you take? Empty So What do I Take in the Bush?

Post  forester01 Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:28 pm

G'day Gents,

each time I head bush I take what's needed on a check-list I compiled many years ago which basically comprises a medical kit (including a few canine preparations for my faithful dawg), fuel for my three in one Coleman lantern (no noisy generators for this bloke) plus extra mantles, full gas bottles for my gas cooker, canvas repair kit for my camper trailer set-up (which includes the silicone applicator, a top repair measure for holed canvas), sufficient canned food for the duration of the trip plus some fresh meat and veggies to tide me over for the early days of the trip. My meals consist of, breakfast - barbecued potato slices with onion and black coffee; lunch - a ladle of whatever curried or chillied masterpiece I enjoyed the night before from the cast iron camp oven. I might lash out occasionally and indulge in a meal of baked beans on buttered bread with chilli sauce and perhaps a few barbecued potato slices. Naturally all this is washed down with cold beer - as long as the ice lasts. When it doesn't then the beer goes into a bucket and into the nearest creek or billabong. And if and when the beer becomes so hot it's unpalateable then it's time to reach for the cask red I always keep for such dire occasions.

Does the above sound a bit primitive? Bloody oath it is and I enjoy it. I invariably return home in good health although the trouble and strife objects to the garlic aroma which follows me around for a day or two.

Any advice? Yes - make up a list of the gear you need to carry and refer to it each time you head off, which will probably obviate arriving in the scrub and learning that you've forgotten important items which would make your trip more comfortable.

Don't forget the check-list fellas, it helps. My latest check-list (and they change frequently) is encased in a plastic envelope and is easy to refer to when I'm getting ready to go (as I am now).

Regards

Mike
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post  crabby Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:11 am

thanx for all who have taken time to reply
i now have a great idea of what i should be takin.very helpfull for us newby,s Very Happy

crabby

crabby
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum