Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Aid - Burns

+3
Nature_Pete
wil
Kon61gold
7 posters

Go down

First Aid - Burns Empty First Aid - Burns

Post  Kon61gold Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:28 am

Impressive! Why did we never hear of this before??!! I've always just run it under the cold water tap.
A woman's experience with burns . . ..

Some time ago I was cooking some corn and stuck my fork in the boiling water to see if the corn was ready. I missed and my hand went into the boiling water.... A friend of mine, who was a Vietnam vet, came into the house, just as I was screaming, and asked me if I had some plain old flour... I pulled out a bag and he stuck my hand in it. He told me to keep my hand in the flour for 10 minutes which I did. He said that in Vietnam, there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to put the fire out...Well, it not only put the fire out, but he never even had a blister!!!!

... Long story short, I put my hand in the bag of flour for 10 mins, pulled it out and did not even have a red mark or a blister and absolutely NO PAIN. Now, I keep a bag of flour in the fridge and every time I burn myself. *Cold flour feels even better than room temperature flour.

I use the flour and have never ONCE had I ever had even a red spot/burn mark, or a blister! I even burnt my tongue once, put the flour on it for about 10 minutes .. the pain was gone and no burn.
Try it . . . Experience a miracle! Keep a bag of flour in your fridge and you will be happy you did!
BTW, don't run your burn area under cold water first, just put it directly into the flour for 10 minutes.

Interesting!!

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

First Aid - Burns Empty Re: First Aid - Burns

Post  wil Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Shocked wow that is different Jefgold. certainly hugely better than the old butter which as we all know only worsens the burn.
but if you have used the flour for a damper, the cool water for 20 minutes is the best for reducing the burn & pain then followed by glad wrap longways over the burn (not wrapped around incase of swelling) this helps to reduce the irritation & infection until you get to the emergency dept.
cheers
Wil

wil
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Jefgold wrote:

Try it . . . Experience a miracle! Keep a bag of flour in your fridge and you will be happy you did!

Jeff

Does that mean that you're going to volunteer for us Jeff? I think it would make a great youtube video. Twisted Evil

Sounds like a good idea though in all seriousness, I'd like for the next person to test this on a MINOR burn and see if it actually works. Personally, my curiosity isn't deep enough to stick my finger into boiling water. I used to be a cook, kitchenhand and I'm a Baker by trade, I know how that burn feels.

Regards,

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Anything will dissipate heat from a burn. Flour being very small grained will do it easily. But unless you move it around it may hold the heat instead of transferring it or radiating it away from the burn..
Very interesting topic indeed. I have googled it a bit, and yes it does work, but its not a substitute for cold running water, as a third degree burn/ broken skin, may become infected due to the flour sticking to the fluids weeping out of the burn.
I would however try it if camping etc and was burt by a fire and no clean water was available.
Thanks for the topic as i have learnt something tonight...
P.S words cant explain how much i hate the feeling of being burnt, especially after a decade of working with asphalt and hot tar...
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:00 pm

P.S while doing my apprenticeship as a mechanical engineer, We would put anything small enough to be blown out of an airline into a holding tank.
Similar to a spray painters gun.
Flour airborne can and does ignite!!!! With an ignition source...
So does a lot of miniscule things that your wouldnt think were combustible. So be carefull throwing flour into a fire!!!!!!!!
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:06 pm

I wonder if flour is also used for oil or flame burns? Maybe not. I'd like to be sure of the flour remedy before trying it. My son when a toddler years ago was badly scalded with boiling water and his skin peeled straight off when I put him under cold running water in the bath. He had 2nd and 3rd degree burns but came through without permanent scarring after treatment at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne (chip in for the annual Good Friday Appeal if you can). I'd hate to think that someone would try flour on water, oil or flame burns which resulted in permanent scarring. Let's be sure of these things before trying them hay? Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Interesting jefgold. I was involved with ambulance for over 20 years and never heard that one before. Might run it past some old colleagues and ask for comment. Anything is worth a go. I know from experience that cold water dosen't help that much.

P

Back to top Go down

Post  shangers Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 pm

maka wrote:P.S while doing my apprenticeship as a mechanical engineer, We would put anything small enough to be blown out of an airline into a holding tank.
So does a lot of miniscule things that your wouldnt think were combustible. So be carefull throwing flour into a fire!!!!!!!!

hay maka milk powder is flammable the boys on mythbusters did it massive fire ball. ALSO IF SAY YOU CUT THE TIP OF YOUR FINGER OFF AND BLOOD IS PISSING OUT STICK YOUR FINGER IN SOME COFFEE GRANULES AND IT WILL STOP THE BLEEDING

shangers
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 pm

shangers wrote:
maka wrote:P.S while doing my apprenticeship as a mechanical engineer, We would put anything small enough to be blown out of an airline into a holding tank.

hay maka milk powder is flammable the boys on mythbusters did it massive fire ball. ALSO IF SAY YOU CUT THE TIP OF YOUR FINGER OFF AND BLOOD IS PISSING OUT STICK YOUR FINGER IN SOME COFFEE GRANULES AND IT WILL STOP THE BLEEDING

Ill take your word for that affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Good tip Jefgold,

Might give that a whirl next time I get into the Chilli. cherry

Cheers DINGO

Back to top Go down

Post  burnie Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 am

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/medical/a/Flour-For-Burns-Home-Remedy.htm

Cheers burnie

burnie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:52 am

[quote="GoldstalkerGPX"]Good tip Jeff, hopefully one we never have to use but will try that if that situation ever arises.

Of course it is flamable, that's why any flour mills or gain storage silo's are strictly no smoking, although I think it is the grain dust more so than flour itself.[/quote

The same can be said for skim milk powder & the driers lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenwell2 Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Gday,
I have just quit from being a St John Ambulance volunteer of 12 years or so and have never heard of the flour BS before. While a burn is stinging it is still burning so keep the running cold water on it. DO NOT use ice as this can stick to the skin. The above link gives some good advice. Climbs down from soap box and goes back to being calm.
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum