Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surfacing or erosion?

2 posters

Go down

Surfacing or erosion? Empty Surfacing or erosion?

Post  Nature_Pete Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi Guys,

I have seen in a few of the diggings around Ballarat/Creswick, areas that would appear to be surfaced. These particular areas are usually on a side-hill and is approximately 1\2 metre deep. There are shafts in these areas but there are also large patches, say 20 X 20 mtrs that are like huge craters and it appears that the dirt has been removed. Others extend down hill onto a small ledges, therefore they appear to be erosion, but still uniform in the depth all the way around.

If I get the chance I'll see if I can photograph them the next time I am out there. But what I seek is opinions as to wether they could be surfacing or simply erosion from test holes and the like?

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Surfacing or erosion? Empty Re: Surfacing or erosion?

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:30 pm

G'day Pete

Old timers used to hydrolic sluice, that is use a high pressure hose to wash away the hillside, which = super fast errosion.

What you are describing could be this or just natrual errosion or surfacing where they take the dirt away to somewhere to process.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Chuckles Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 am

If it is surfacing Pete, it will be usually down to bedrock and you may see some trace of reef material in the bedrock...it might be sampling areas...the surfacing areas near me are many acres in size indicating that there was a lot of gold in the soil and on the bedrock.
The soil cover has been replenished to a depth of up to 10" in the hollows and around shrubs but the raised areas and those on the steeper parts of the slopes are totally bare due to continual washing by rain...any patches of soil in the hollows of a surfaced area is worth a swing over cause that's where the gold that was missed before (plus every bullet,nail etc) will end up.
cheers

Chuckles
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:51 am

Generally where the surfacing is of a uniform depth or looks very flat it is probably an old council gravel area. It's a cheap way of getting road base.
From memory, the bendigo council removed Adelaide hill in the Whipstick for that purpose.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:47 am

Chuckles wrote:
...any patches of soil in the hollows of a surfaced area is worth a swing over cause that's where the gold that was missed before (plus every bullet,nail etc) will end up.
cheers

Thank you for the responses guys, I was thinking that one area was a sluicing area because it was on the edge of the creek. No need to carry the dirt and good supply of water.

Chuckles, I was thinking the same thing and thats exactly what I found! Huge square nails, Chain links and general trash, which to me says that the areas haven't been hit overly hard. I didn't have long at the areas as I was just doing a fly-by on my way home and if an area looked good I would have a 'brief' swing and mark it with the GPS. If the weather would fine up a little, I'd slip out with the camera and get a few shots before having a proper swing.

Bring on Spring! cheers cheers cheers

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum