Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IS IT POSSIBLE ??????

+2
tricky 1
sandy2010
6 posters

Go down

IS IT POSSIBLE ?????? Empty IS IT POSSIBLE ??????

Post  sandy2010 Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:35 pm

I have a Nissan Patrol (4.2L petrol).....I'm very concerned about the publicity re: water in fuel.....
Can anyone outhere tell me if it is logical/possible to put a water-catchment bowl ( like they have on diesels) on my petrol model......
Thanks.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

IS IT POSSIBLE ?????? Empty Re: IS IT POSSIBLE ??????

Post  tricky 1 Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:47 pm

yes can be done, fit between tank and pump. glass bowl cav with paper filter is good.
tricky 1
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

IS IT POSSIBLE ?????? Empty IS IT POSSIBLE?????????

Post  sandy2010 Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Many thanks tricky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Or a water separator "Filter" that's used on boats. There just a spin on!

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Back in my HQ-HZ Holden days i use to run a water injection system strait into the back of my 360 holly.
After many years of motoring, and when they decided super fuel was out, and unleaded was in, the heads died, and in need of exhaust valve make over.
No carbon build up, and the heads looked like new once off the old 253 block.
Water in a petrol motor is not a bad thing, in a diesel motor it bends conrods. Laughing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_%28engines%29
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Now that's just weird Narrawa. It would have been injected into the base plate that your old Holly sat on? Not actually going through the carby! Water has a hard time going through the jets in carbys!
The water was used to cool down manifold temp so more fuel/air could be stuffed in the cylinders and produce more horse power!
Diesel engines, No different.
Sorry man.

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Someday, sorry man! for not mentioning in detail my water injection experiments from the 90s. Embarassed I didn't feel it was that important. scratch

However instead of assuming me a total tool, point out where i said i injected water through the carby jets so i dont assume your one. Laughing

PM me if you want details.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

IS IT POSSIBLE ?????? Empty IS IT POSSIBLE.............

Post  sandy2010 Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 am

JUST FOR THE RECORD GUYS.............MY NISSAN IS THE EFI MODEL......................

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

IS IT POSSIBLE ?????? Empty is it possible

Post  bobsreturn Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:11 am

water in pertol is not a good thing with injectors very bad , the cav units do a good job .be carefull the bowl wont be damaged, where you put it as its, glass ,cracked my tractor one ,and the fuel loss can be dangerous and leave you stranded , cheers Bob

bobsreturn
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-06-10

Back to top Go down

IS IT POSSIBLE ?????? Empty IS IT POSSIBLE.............

Post  sandy2010 Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:21 am

Many thanks for that Bob..........This forum is priceless for the amount of information available from members........................VIVE LA FORUM.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:25 pm

I also have the CAV style water separator with primer pump on my rodeo, not sure how this type would work under pressure from a high volume electronic fuel pump tho...may have to check the specs in regards to pressure. If its a high volume pump you may be able to plumb it after the regulator.?
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:59 pm

It may be worth talking to the local boating mechanics re a Cav style or Racor water seperator as a high percentage of HPDI (High Pressure Direct Injected) Yamaha outboard motors use this style of filter just a thought.

Also a splash of mentholated spirits every now and again would not hurt.
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:39 pm

You guys stress too much! If you want the glass bowl "CAV" it's designed to be seen, so mount it high in the engine bay, out of the mud, thats all the glass bowl was intended for, so if the bowl is full of water you know it's time to get a new fuel tank before it rust's out!?!? and or just replace the filter?
The "spin on" Boat water separators will not let you down,About $60.00 for the mount and filter and fittings! Cheap piece of mind!

Narrawa. I've been a tool for most of my life, why change now? Spanners, too many spanners! OVER IT.

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

IS IT POSSIBLE ?????? Empty post topic

Post  cranky Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:01 am

Sandy,

Your vehicle has the fuel pump inside the fuel tank and the fuel pressure would be in the order of 42psi.
There is no way that a water seperator can be fitted in a low pressure delivery or suction line which means you will require a filter/seperator that can withstand the pressures involved in an EFI fuel system.
I suggest you contact a filter manufacturer (GUD Filters for one) and get their input on the matter, they may have the answer.
The inline fuel filter fitted as standard has the capacity to reduce the likelyhood of water reaching the injectors due to its micron filtration element, in most cases water will cause this filter to block up and collapse before much water reachs the injectors.
Carry a spare filter or two just in case you have a problem en route.
Before attempting to replace this filter it is recommended to releive the in line fuel pressure before undoing any fuel connections.....to do this either remove the fuel pump fuse or fuel pump relay, start the engine and let it run until it stops....switch off the ignition and change the filter. When the new filter is in and secured replace the fuse / relay switch on the ignition and check for leaks before starting the engine.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Cranky
cranky
cranky
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2010-07-13

Back to top Go down

IS IT POSSIBLE ?????? Empty IS IT POSSIBLE............?

Post  sandy2010 Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello cranky,
Your post is very informative and enlightening.......I suspected that there could be some complex technicalities.
Thanks heaps.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum