Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX4500 - Enhance v general

3 posters

Go down

GPX4500 - Enhance v general Empty GPX4500 - Enhance v general

Post  buck06 Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:11 am

myself and juppman went out looking for some new areas late yesterday/ booze cruse What a Face decided to have a play with my 4500 on a nice clear area that i thought would have been hit a far bit. set up 4500 in custom/ enhance/gain 6 stablizer 7 etc .after a bit decided to try something different set 4500 to general/ special and left everything as is started geting targets in the area i had detected 4500run smooth only for small spikes due to weather conditions . know i want to try deep in the same area to see if it find more targets. only thing was i still was geting hot rock as some signals .coil 350 x 250 mono . so i am still trying to get some depth on small targets out of my 4500. also i get some big responces from hot rock in this mode would a d/d (large) erace these signals and still give me good depth .
Question Question buck
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

GPX4500 - Enhance v general Empty Re: GPX4500 - Enhance v general

Post  Tributer Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Buck, check out some of the posts back a while where Jonathon Porter provides some settings for deep detecting and answers questions similar to yours. Other forums have advice on the topic as well if you want to spend some time writing down settings and maybe programming them in.

Without knowing how noisey your ground is its hard to suggest specific settings.

I personally do not run the gain below 8 in Enhance and Normal and I am comfortable putting up with some chatter.

If it is noisey i usually run in enhance because dumbing down the settings in Normal is still to noisey..its a fine line when to change.

In Normal i occassionally go below 8 one or two clicks and have the signal in Normal rather then deep to lessen the noise if i want to check out a noisey area i have done in enhance.

I have had some results getting to know the different ground noises and hot rock noises by digging some and then listening for slight variations in deeper noises and digging those targets. It helped me find a couple good nuggets in hot rock laden ground. Its probably only worth the anguish if you have already found some gold there though.

Can't help you on DD coils, I always persist with mono coils and go down to 11 inch from 18 inch if the ground is unbearably noisey after trying various settings. I have got some good depths on small gold with an 11 inch round mono in enhance (with gain 8 or above on deep or normal on back cap).

Tributer Cool

Last edited by Tributer on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:44 pm

Enhance cannot verse General.

Enhance is one of the available timings for the 4500. Normal, and Special are the other switch possibilities. Special can be broken down in the menu into Sensitive, Smooth, Sharp or Salt, all of which are timings for a specific purpose. Basically, Sensitive is for small gold, Smooth is to handle hotter ground that Enhance struggles to operate in, Sharp is a boost for DD coil use, and Salt is to use in salt laden areas.

General is just one of the selections on the Deep, General, Custom selection switch. Custom has settings that are selectable and customisable in the menu structure. All of these modes can be set to whatever the operator wants. The settings can be made identical on all of them and they will all perform the same way. Personally I use Deep set to my liking for chasing deep gold, General set for searching normally, and Custom set as an EMI minimiser. Each of these I have customised to suit my area and what I am trying to achieve with each one.

You can have General selected with Normal and if the ground hots up, can then switch to Enhance without any other changes. This will give you the same settings you just had with the bonus of losing most ground noise and hotrocks. Remember there is always a trade-off and depth is the trade in this scenario. Remember also depth is relative to the ground type and just because you select Enhance does not mean you lose performance, in fact you may gain depending on the ground makeup. By that I mean that you may detect nuggets that were not available in Normal because the ground noise masked the signal, and we have demonstrated this between ourselves many times. You also need to realise that Enhance is not the only mode and I know I have become lazy by tending to want to run in Enhance for the quietness, but force myself to use Normal more often than I like to.

The best advice is to read the book several times, read all you can on forums, and most of all take the time out to experiment with any signal you think might be good. That is the best way to become familiar with your machine besides having someone beside you to tell you what it is saying. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

GPX4500 - Enhance v general Empty enhance v general

Post  buck06 Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:40 pm

thanks guys have lost my manual affraid trying to work things out my self is quite hard as my last machine was a 2200 but i am slowly grtting there trying different things each time out.in some areas we detect the ironstone gives off quite large signals in enhance/ general etc havent tryed smooth yet i will keep learning and keep detecting . again thanks for the replys cheers buck study study
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi Buck,
Try this link for the manual. It is a PDF file. Cheers.

GPX 4500 manual
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down