Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryborough Victoria

+3
SootyOwl
Dunnart
Albert_IV
7 posters

Go down

Maryborough Victoria Empty Maryborough Victoria

Post  Albert_IV Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:25 pm

hi friends,
I knew the fire in Victoria through news report.
I plan to prospect in Maryborough on this month, is there still safe
for prospecting?
Is there any thing should pay heed to when a State is in emergency state?

Best regards

Albert

Albert_IV
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Maryborough Victoria Empty Re: Maryborough Victoria

Post  Dunnart Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Albert.

Maryborough is not anywhere near any fires at the moment, and lets hope it stays that way!

You are very safe to detect this area unless a fire does break, then it's a matter of moving to another location that is safe.You need to stay regularly listening to our government radio station, the ABC, and stay in contact with people, so they know your whereabouts. This could be coiltek detectors supplies, the local camping ground, even the local police if you wish. But the ONE thing we must do when we venture into our bush, is keep informed of the weather, and let someone know where you plan to go.

What is also VERY important during our warmer months is that you DO NOT light a fire unless you have ALL the following;

a) It is NOT a total fire ban in that district.
b) You have a good understanding and experience with camp fires in that district.
c) You meet ALL the precautions necessary when lighting a camp fire (minimum 5 metres clearance all around etc).
d) You have sufficient water at hand to put the camp fire out quickly, as winds can come up without notice.
e) You ensure the fire is ALWAYS attended, otherwise it is completely extinguished.

I am not sure where you will be staying Albert, but wherever it is, they will help you with what you need to know, and make sure you drop in and get some advise from the boys at coiltek in Maryborough. They will also help you with maps and tips on where to go.

Good luck mate, and I'm sure you will get plenty of help from this site.
Dunnart
Dunnart
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Maryborough Victoria Empty Detecting in Maryborough

Post  SootyOwl Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi Albert

I would also let the local cops know you are out there! There WILL be a fair amount of JUSTIFIABLE paranoia out there, so if they know you are out there - they should not hassle you or think you MAY light a fire.

Cheers
Phil

SootyOwl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Was the fire way down below the triangle?

I hope no one was out detecting when that came through.

jd.
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:00 pm

chopppacalamari wrote:Was the fire way down below the triangle?

I hope no one was out detecting when that came through.

jd.
The triangle is roughly north west of Melbourne.
Bendigo is in the middle of the triangle and gold ground was burnt as far as I know.
Horsham fires were a little further west of the triangle as far as I know.
The big fires were to the east of Melbourne. While some of this area is known gold areas I would doubt anyone would have been out there on the day it started.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:57 pm

One of the main things that everyone that is planing to head out in the bush at this time of the year, with a car or motor bike, prospecting, bush walking or motor bike riding, is were you pull up in the bush. Remember that you have a very "HOT" Exhaust system under the car or bike that can cause a bush fire every quickly if it comes in contact with the scrub. This is how the Mansfield fires started early this week, by a motor bikes exhaust system. But it was luckly that it was under control quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:05 am

Also watch closely when smoking tobacco as well, be careful and take precautions. You do not have to be careful when drinking ice cold beer, just when you've had too many don't drive.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Albert_IV Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi friends,
Thanks to all of you for your useful advices,especially thanks to Dunnart. your advice is very detailed.

best regards

Albert

Albert_IV
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Maryborough Victoria Empty Is There Still Safe (Ground) For Prospecting

Post  forester01 Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:33 pm

G'day,
Wombat has it right re hot vehicle exhaust pipes. I went out into our local forest this morning in my ute with the intention of spending a few hours prospecting a creek I've had my eye on for a while. It soon became evident what a foolhardy venture this was. The bush is tinder dry and backing a vehicle to reverse out would easily bring the exhaust pipe into contact with the scrub. I left the bush after an hour, ensuring that I stayed in the middle of the track on the way back to town.

I'll go again tomorrow but I'll be on foot, heading for closer gullies - with water in a camelbak and a can or two of beans. Incidentally, I'm always in range of home on the mobile and the missis knows exactly where I'll be working. No reason why the dry circumstances has to entirely put our hobby on the back-burner (unfortunate choice of phrase there, I agree), but by the Christ we have to be careful.

Mike W
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:56 pm

apparently there are some places in the NT where they will not let you on the property in a petrol driven vehicle due to the heat produced from the catalitic converter which has been known to start a lot of fires

Back to top Go down

Post  Albert_IV Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:44 pm

It sounds a little bit foolish but I think going to do prospecting on foot is good to the environment under the present circumstance than driving vehilcle.

Albert_IV
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down