Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goin bush today

2 posters

Go down

Goin bush today Empty Goin bush today

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:59 am

Gday

I finally spat the dummy and decided to go bush for a bit, its going to be hot but I have plenty of beer so all will be well, and I have been so badly wanting to try out the new 30x7 NF patchfinder mono and the NF 12" round mono for awhile, now its got the better of me.

Should still be able to get online from time to time so if I come across anything worthwhile I will post it.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Goin bush today Empty Re: Goin bush today

Post  kon61 Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:17 am

G'day StayyerAU.

Its aproaching that time of year again,when the travel bugs starting to bite. Good luck with the two new coils Stayyer. May you have a safe and prosperous trip & may you score a whopper,for all of us to see upon your return.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Acan Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Happy travels stayyerAU,

Hope you find lots and leave lots for us later.

Keep us informed on how you go. What direction are you heading and will you be gone for long?

I reckon it would be great to get on the field now, a bit hot, but you should be able to locate spots without too much traffic.

Have a great time. Acan jocolor

Acan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 am

Gday

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, much appreciated, well this is the morning of day three, just been having a look through some previously worked spots, so far a couple of tiddlers and several lead slugs are about the tally, lots of rubbish, lots of flies, and just when they nick off at sundown there are lots of mozzies to take their place.

I have been giving the NF 12" round mono a bit of a workout, so far so good, it seems a bit sharper in the signal response compared to the mL 11" commander mono, but not as quiet on the hot ground though, next stop is some open areas that have produced bits and pieces out on the flats, this is where I want to try out the 30x7 patchfinder and see how that goes.

Had an interesting run in with a very aggressive station owner the other day, thats a first for me, the guy was asking for an arguement,he got it, anyway enough said I will give up some more details when I get home and decide whether I want to take it further or not.

time to hit the gound

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:21 pm

gday stayerau, hope it wasnt the guy from yerilla. geez he an angry ant. anyway good luck where ever you are and hope to hear feedback on the patchfinder coil. cheers jason

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:19 am

Gday

I had to return a bit earlier than expected to sort out some issue that cropped up while I was away, so I didnt get to all the places I had intended to go to, as far as trips go it was average, the weather was ok with one warm day getting to 46 degrees and it was still 35 degrees at 10pm that night, but for the most part it was warm and windy during the day but cooled down during the night.

The flies were the worst I have seen them in many years and there was not chance of having a meal in comfort until after dark, by that time the mozzies were in, I think I prefer them to the flies as they at least were kept at bay by the repellant, I also discovered that flies must be stone deaf as they took little notice of the names I called them and also quite happily rode on my external speaker by the hundreds even with it going full blast.

I used the 12" round advantage mono a fair bit around workings and found a few pieces with it, it is a very sensitive coil and was prone to getting the odd hot rock which the minelab commander mono seems to ignore for the most part, it seemed also a little prone to picking up emi as well, I would have to say that on the right ground its a useful coil but if I was to choose between it and the commander mono I would choose the commander mono, its quieter and more stable.

The nuggetfinder 30x7 patchfinder is a quite different coil to use, and although I only got to use it on a large washed area that I happened on to, due to the rain in the area there is now a lot of grass about the place so a lot of the places I had been to were too covered to use it on effectively, I detected some small pieces of steel with it and a lead slug, but the most impressive thing is the ground coverage, it an easy enough coil to swing but does take a little getting used to, I initially used it without the hipstick and just tightened the bungy strap a bit more but after 30 mins or so felt that I should have had the hipstick on.

If you are able to keep it close to the ground I dont doubt that you wouldnt miss much with it, its strength would be in its sensitivity to small pieces rather than its depth ability, I also briefly tried it on some rubbly ground and found that you have to take your time and concentrate on your swing as when it contacts any rocks it either will tilt forwards or backwards causing you to have to constantly push it this way and that to get it level again.

I think it would be a useful tool on the right ground, even large open scrapes would be ok to use it on, if you were looking for a general purpose coil I wouldnt bother with it but rather something like the nuggetfinder 14" round "advantage" mono would be a better choice, but if you have a lot of flat open ground that you want to cover in a hurry it would be perfect for that, its strength is in the ground coverage and its sensitivity but not necessarily in its depth capabilty.

cheers

stayyerAU

Last edited by stayyerAU on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Acan Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:10 am

Hi StayyerAU, Glad you could get away, a bugger that you could not stayyer any longer. Its a real pain in the but when you plan to get away, load up, fuel up and plan to stay away for a week or so and then something calls you back. Just like when something breaks and you need to go back for repairs or find the replacement battery cord etc
Sounds like the BIG coil would be great on clear ground that is nice and level to swing over. All the best on your next trip. Acan jocolor

Acan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Gday

Sometimes you seem to know right from the start that you are going to have an average trip, the very first warning sign should have been that I forgot my good pick and had to use the little spare I carry in the tool box, that made it harder work than necessary. Sad

As usual I was under the pump to do this and that before I left home, and had the feeling that I had forgotten something, ok so now I have to make sure that I write a list as I cant rely on the memory anymore cyclops , its definately a pain when you go through all the preparation and then have to cut it all short, with the diesel being $1.65 a litre in places its a costly exercise to be just sight seeing nowadays, so more time on the ground equals more gold in the pocket which helps to ease the pain of the fuel costs.

Not to worry its now all about the next trip, which will be better planned and the posty bike gets to go along this time, so all those far away features I could see about the place will now be accessable without having to bash the troopie to death, oh yeah I also scored one staked tyre (tyres are only about a month old) and then discovered that one of the spares I had repaired was soft and had a slow leak.

The upside was that before I left I decided to buy a new fridge, and it worked a treat, so all the beer was nice and cold and that helped to ease the pain a bit. Cool

I have some pics so I will put them up when I can.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down