Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth

5 posters

Go down

Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth Empty Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Just a little update re this topic Gpx battery project

Like the freedom of no cords but I'm not liking the speaker mounted on the detector - bit far away/faint targets could possibly missed /everybody for miles around know I'm detecting.

Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth IMG_2650

I do use my Koss headphones plus a short extension lead with The Goldscreamer Power Pack but its a little inconvenient as it is attached to the detector this in return is defeating the idea.

IMO Its a better using the default Minelab battery/harness setup when using the Headphones.

********************************************************************************

I bought a Bluetooth transmitter and cheap headphones off ebay. It connects up nicely

There is a slight delay and battery life/robustness may be an issue however worth trying on the next trip.

Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth IMG_2730

Back to top Go down

Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth Empty Re: Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth

Post  Out4Fun Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi Ararat,

I am interest in how you go with the Bluetooth setup. I saw a video on youtube regarding wireless detecting and got myself a high quality TDK 2.4Ghz wireless headset for almost $200. Fantastic for music, but useless for detecting!
I think it picks up the pulse of the GPX and produces a constant high pitch sound. Even when I hooked it up to the X-Terra - thought it might be great for detecting on the beach - it produced a constant sound on a lower frequency. ....bugger, but every disappointment is an experience!

'Hope you have more luck with your set-up.

Cheers
Ralph
Out4Fun
Out4Fun
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:17 pm

I used Cancel mode at home there was no interference using the Bluetooth setup...I used the floorboard nails for testing and it work fine just the smallest of delays.

A field test is required Wink

Cost was minimal Headset $27.00 Bluetooth transmitter $24.00...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 am

Ararat

Sounds good to me not having any wires etc, are you going
to test them with all 3 gold coils,, Salt/DD/Mono ??

Hope they work
cant wait affraid i'm exited Cool

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:43 am

Gday

I always liked the idea of having a cordless headphone set up, not that I use headphones that much but when its important to be quiet it would be a useful thing to have, like very early morning when everyone else is still asleep in the camp, the external speaker gets them a bit excited, I have no idea why Laughing

And I wondered whether there was the chance that the headphones would pick up any noise from the coil pulsing or whether positioning the transmiting device too near the control box would cause some sort of feedback through the system from the electronics, but because you say that it works better in cancel mode then it is more likely that the coil is picking up the signal from the transmitter, perhaps you can get an extension wire for the transmitter and position it right to the back of the control box or locate it on the armrest on your body side.

I am sure that at one time when I was surfing the net about this type of set up that there is someone that actually makes and sells a set up that is just for detectors, but also recall that is was very expensive and I may have seen it on one of the British detecting sites.

cheers

stayyerAU

Last edited by stayyerAU on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add more information)

Back to top Go down

Post  Driller Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:15 pm

I use Ismael `s cordless set up and love the freedom.

The battery / transmitter mounts to the side of the detector. It gets no interference from the detector and does not cause any interference to the machine. I mount my receiver on the harness by my collar and plug headphone in there. It will receive up to 10 metres away from the machine. Ismail says that you do get a small percentage of signal loss in the transmission but I could not notice this in my extensive testing.

I compared several different power supplies over a range of targets and found no difference between cord and cordless.

Some people on other forums are experimenting with Guitar Transmitters but I think there is a problem with matching them to Detector Headphones which means buying matching headphones.........ie more $$$$

Cheers,

Driller.

Driller
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:17 pm

stayyerAU wrote:you say that it works better in cancel mode
stayyerAU

Hi stayyerAU,

No I used cancel mode at home due to electrical interference. Just testing the connectivity Razz Razz

Should be interesting and will give some feedback after the field test Very Happy

Today would have been perfect in the GT but alas work got in the way Mad Mad

Regards

Back to top Go down

Post  detecta2 Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:16 pm

a bit of info if you google bluetooth metal detector, phill

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:03 am

Gday ARARAT

Thats good, much better if you dont have to run it in cancel mode, I think it would be too big a trade off to lose depth etc just for the convienience of having cordless headphones, does the transmitter have multiple frequencies that you can use, or does it just tune to the receiving device ?

The only other issue I can see is how would you go if there were a couple of you using the same sort of gear detecting in the same area, there would be a lot of confusion if you were hearing someone elses signals through your headphones.

If the field tests are successful can you post some more information about the type of bluetooth device and the headphones used please, as I am interested and sure that there are others here that would like to give it a try as well, like I said before some time back (could have been several years now) I looked into it but all that was available at the time was fm transmitters and radio headphones, and the set up that I was interested in from the uK was far to expensive and I wouldnt have known how they would operate until I bought it and tried it out in the field so in the end it was too hard and I gave the idea away.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Mymonermanus,

I used to use that mouse and keyboard, but I found they were too noisy on the hot ground found in the Golden Triangle.

Jig.

Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:15 am

Well the Bluetooth setup did not come up to expectations.

I was not happy with the connection between the transmitter and headphones. It was inconsistent to say the least. Evil or Very Mad

On a better note I have been persisting with my wireless battery/speaker setup and I have had some success finding nuggets cheers just needed sometime adjusting to the speaker being a distance away on the detector.

I have made a short headphone extension cable so its just a matter of switching between whatever suits What a Face

So this may be the final form Very Happy

Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth IMG_2778

Back to top Go down

Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth Empty What is the quality like on the Goldscreamer Power Pack like?

Post  skaufman Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi there,
Hopefully you have had a lot of luck finding some good nuggets.
I have been looking at a detector mounted battery system and this one looks the most professional.

I have looked at the detectormods.com one on ebay, been speaking to Geoff at Reeds Prospecting in Perth (their system is still 2 months away) and then the Goldscreamer Powerpack.
Some reviews that the quality was very poor and the asking price too high has put me off a bit but you are here in Oz and are working with the actual system.

Would you mind taking a couple of pictures for me of the cover, amp and batteries and charger please.
Would you buy this setup again is you had the money again?

One reviewer said that the material would wear very quickly and the batteries and charger felt cheap.
US$500 is a fair bit but to go wire free for the battery - could be worth it.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Regards

Simon

skaufman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:59 pm

skaufman wrote:One reviewer said that the material would wear very quickly and the batteries and charger felt cheap. US$500 is a fair bit but to go wire free for the battery - could be worth it.

Hi Simon,

I tend to agree that it could have been built with more robustness and it feels >> well cheap. The $500.00 asking price is also little steep considering the built quality...Look it works well and you get the Cover and a few bits but over priced as you say..

If I was me I would probably try and build a wireless setup myself as I'm handy with a soldering iron. Batteries, boosters and connectors are not very expensive.

I think Minersden has wireless setups ?? - Woody has them also >> what they are like I do not know.

Hang on and see what Reeds comes up with..I would say it may be your best option.

Regards
A

Back to top Go down

Cordless Detecting with Bluetooth Empty Thanks for your information

Post  skaufman Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Cheers for your info, much appreciated!

Simon

skaufman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-01-15