Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin!

+3
shelby23
Goldbait
nero_design
7 posters

Go down

Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin! Empty Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin!

Post  nero_design Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:28 am

Remember last year when Mark Dice wandered the streets of California trying to see if the average American knew what an ounce of Gold was actually worth? He returned with a Canadian 1oz Troy solid gold Canadian Maple coin and tried to sell it. He couldn't seem to give it away for free either.

This would be funnier if it wasn't such an example of either Apathy or Suspicion.

Either way, most Americans have never seen an ounce of Gold.
Note the reaction from the guy that actually holds the coin in his hand.

I'm posting this for entertainment purposes only - It's simply an example of human nature.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin! Empty Re: Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin!

Post  Goldbait Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 am

whats he expect. it's canadian . LOL
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin! Empty Re: Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin!

Post  shelby23 Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:57 am

A great Vidio

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin! Empty Crap show

Post  maxxAu Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 am

This type of journalism is crap in my opinion. Rolling Eyes
How many people jumped at the opportunity.........? We will never know.
maxx

maxxAu
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 pm

I noticed that the guy said at the end of the clip that it was actually an Canadian 50 dollar 1 oz gold coin. Suspect
it is a long tome since gold was 50 bucks an oz. I would at least want to know the date on the coin.
Still the yanks can be a bit slow at times.

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Adrian SS wrote:I noticed that the guy said at the end of the clip that it was actually an Canadian 50 dollar 1 oz gold coin. Suspect
it is a long tome since gold was 50 bucks an oz. I would at least want to know the date on the coin.
Still the yanks can be a bit slow at times.

Doesn't quite work like that, I have many 1oz silver coins and the legal tender value is $1 and 99.999 silver is worth a tad more than a buck.

I agree that ya don't get to see the ones that jumped at the idea, but then that wasn't the ploy either, it was to watch the moron's that passed it up. Just think if there were no moron's around, life would be a bit dull Laughing
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 pm

The guy is a sleazebag. I would not talk to him or trust his offer either. YUK.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:43 am

Yeah I know that an oz of gold is an oz of gold no mater what form it is in but anyone is going to be a bit sus of someone offering them an oz of gold today for 50 bucks.
Personaly that coin would have jumped into my hand very fast and as an older coin it would have had some significant collector value. (Even if it was canadian Very Happy )

Back to top Go down

Amusing VIDEO: Guy can't even GIVE AWAY a 1oz Gold Coin! Empty Jerk-off

Post  maxxAu Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:51 am

I like it at the 4:30ish mark where the bloke walking past mutters "jerk-off" to the host. So not all yanks are as silly as some like to make out.
maxx

maxxAu
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Knocking back an oz of pure gold for 50 bucks....I reckon they were both jackasses.
I wonder if one of those people had said yes would the gold giver have handed it over. clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:31 pm

This guy looks, acts, and talks like a scammer, so why should anyone believe him. Notice how he throws in the words "make believe coin" into the conversations.

The only thing this video shows is that people are a lot smarter than he gives credit for.
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:24 pm

I heard him say Maple Leaf not Make believe.

Come on, fair suck of the sauce bottle!! Are you saying that if someone walked up to you and offered you an oz of solid gold coin for 20 or 50 dollars that you would knock it back!!?? Shocked I mean hell, if you wanted to be an honest john then you could always take it to a cop and say " Hey that dipstick over there just sold me this 1100 dollar gold coin for 50 bucks, ya wanna go check im out" Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:51 am

Adrian SS wrote:I heard him say Maple Leaf not Make believe.

Come on, fair suck of the sauce bottle!! Are you saying that if someone walked up to you and offered you an oz of solid gold coin for 20 or 50 dollars that you would knock it back!!?? Shocked I mean hell, if you wanted to be an honest john then you could always take it to a cop and say " Hey that dipstick over there just sold me this 1100 dollar gold coin for 50 bucks, ya wanna go check im out" Suspect

You're right, it was "Maple Leaf" and not "make believe", however he did use the words "worthless" with one of only two people who were prepared to listen to him. Nevertheless, his demeanour and behaviour was deliberately suspicious and understandably, most people ran from him. Those that hadn't seemed unnaturaly polite, which suggests to me that their might have been a fear element with some of the people. As for myself. No, I would'nt stop, no matter what his offer was.
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:30 pm

yes I guess when all is said and done, most people are going to be suspicious of a bloke who has a mic and camera man in tow trying to sell them a 1000 bucks worth of gold for 50 or less bucks. His attitude was a tad sarcastic and self righteous. Most would assume it to be a set up of some sort, but I kind of wonder, as someone else sugested; How many took a bite at the cherry but were not shown in the clip.
I think in reality, speaking for myself, I would have checked the coin out and if I believed it to be genuine I would have quized him about the offer and then if he still wanted to sell it I would have taken the oportunity, given him the 50,shook his hand, thanked him and trotted of down the street. if he called back and said he made a mistake I would get my 50 back and return the coin. Wink I am sure there are others who would say; "Stiff cheddar mate, you sold it to me now it's mine, If ya want it back it'l cost ya a grand".

Back to top Go down