Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pull out awnings

Go down

Pull out awnings Empty Pull out awnings

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Gday

For awhile now I have been looking at pull out awnings and have now bought and fitted one to the side of my troopie, the one I bought was the Ironman 2.5 x 2.0 mtr model.

I decided on this one because I was offered it at the right price, a mate of a mate, but having said that it also had all the features that I wanted, also it had the added option of being able to fit a mosquito net enclosure to it, just as good for keeping out flies.

Anyway after looking about for awhile I realised that not all pull out awnings are the same, never having had one or using one, and usually just stretching out a tarp with poles,ropes,pegs I immediatley saw the benefits of this type, everything needed to set this up is stored in the zip up bag, all the poles are fixed into channels and are twist lock adjustment, when set up it is free standing (providing it is not too windy) and can be set up in minutes for some quick shade, the ropes and a couple of pegs can be stored in the bag as well.

A few other types that I saw advertised didnt come with poles or ropes, and you had to have somewhere else to store these items, this immediately put me off as space is a premium in a camper van, and never mind the fact that you have to peg them out as they are not free standing, so this is a hassle as well for a short stop.

The only thing I found was that it came with two stainless brackets to mount it on the roof rack, these were of no use to me as I have a solar panel fitted to the front section thats wider than the front of the rack, anyway I made four mount brackets and made them wide enough for the assembly to clear the side of the panel, the whole thing bag and all is very compact and not as bulky looking as some I have seen.

There are similar ones on the market, but I think the main benefit of this type if you are thinking about getting one is that everything goes into the zip up bag and theres not an issue with having to find somewhere to put the poles etc, also as I said you can get a mosquito net already made to suit it, all the fittings are already on it for attachment, and also you can get a smaller one that fits on to the back of your roof rack to give shade over the rear doors as well, this is my next one.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Pull out awnings Empty Re: Pull out awnings

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Stayer, I bought one a few months back the same as yours though a different badging...seems one mob makes them and Ironman plus a few others whack thier logo on the side.
They are brilliant! Easy and quick to set up and pull down. I'd have no hesitation in reccomending one.

The only thing I would suggest is ALWAYS rope and peg them even if there is little or no wind. Freshwater and I returned to camp one day to see mine wrapped up and over my ute. Must have been the only puff of wind that day, they are a big sail and it doesn't take much more than a magpie to fart in its dirrection to make them take off.

Back to top Go down

Pull out awnings Empty Re: Pull out awnings.

Post  sandy2010 Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:32 pm

I had been pondering what to do about an awning for my caravan....when lo and behold I went to a garage sale and picked up an almost new "portable pergola"...3M x 3M complete for ten bucks !......
(normally around $180).....so that gives me five cartons gratis.....

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Pull out awnings Empty Re: Pull out awnings

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:42 am

Gday Sandy

Sounds like you had a bit of a win there, I have seen some of those portable pergolas with fly netting around them, that would be great in the bush for getting away from the flies while you eat, sometimes you can get some great suff at garage sales.

I love a good scrounge about at garage sales and have picked up all sorts of things, its a great way to get things like camping gear, solar panels, tools etc, its the way to go if you are setting up on a budget too as a lot of things are sold really cheap.

But you have to be up and at it pretty early on a Saturday morning if you want to beat all the market dealers to the real bargains, or you will end up having to pay their price for things at the Sunday market at the Forum.

cheers

stayyerAU

Last edited by stayyerAU on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : signed off twice)

Back to top Go down