Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000

+5
Nightjar
kevlorraine2
24kt
HOBO'S Gold
Jigalong
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000 Empty I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000

Post  Jigalong Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:49 pm

Apparently a batch of them make too much noise when you hit an object. I will have to dig mine out and check the serial number, as I have not used it yet.

I have heard nothing but good reports on this coil so far, so I was a surprised when I received the notification. It is good though, that they let you know instead letting you find out the hard way on a big WA trip.

Jig
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000 Empty Re: I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000

Post  HOBO'S Gold Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:52 pm

I got that notice too Surprised Mine starts with one of the effected serial numbers, I haven't used it so I will have to give it a bash or two next time I go out. Suspect Just when Russell on the training day last sunday said the commander coils where the least coils returned than any other brand coil Mad seems like a lot are affected, Serial numbers starting with c105....c106.....c107.....c108....and you experiencing false signals from slight bumping.

Regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000 Empty Re: I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:55 pm

It's only a relative minor number of coils within that serial number range that only came as a bonus coil with the 5000.
Mine is also within that range affected but I wont be sending it back as it is a brilliant coil. It's accounted for the lions share of my finds so far and has probably half paid for the detector already.

I can't remember a minlab recall on a coil before and you can bet your bottom dollar more will go back than thier is a problem with, just because they are in that serial number range and because it went WOOHOO once when the user tried to pry a slab of granite out of a hole with it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Well I am a real ground hugger and I don't use the Gold Stalker coils because they are so noisy when I am rubbing my way through the scrub. If it is like that, I would go nuts using it. I will take it out on my next trip and check it out. I haven't even checked the serial number yet - I may not be affected.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000 Empty I got that notice too!!!!

Post  24kt Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:15 am

Jigalong wrote:Apparently a batch of them make too much noise when you hit an object. I will have to dig mine out and check the serial number, as I have not used it yet.

I have heard nothing but good reports on this coil so far, so I was a surprised when I received the notification. It is good though, that they let you know instead letting you find out the hard way on a big WA trip.

Jig

Dammmmmmmm I've noticed that too experiencing false signals from slight bumping even a blade or two of grass Embarassed Shocked amazing when you ask a question about touching a blade of grass and sets off a signal on the detector and most people explanation is that to be interference noise LOL and when i sweep over another spot nothing !!! yet touch some grass and woooooooooooo hooooooo !!!

Still haven't received my letter of notification from Minelab about any " RECOIL " LOL mine must be on a slow boat to china.

Will check tonight " Serial numbers starting with c105....c106.....c107.....c108.... "

cheers

Last edited by 24kt on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typossssssssssssssssss lol)
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:16 am

I noticed my c105 was yelping occasionaly when brushing grass at the end of the swing, but being a newcomer I didn't know whether it was normal or not, confused

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:39 am

Brushing grass you will get a noise with any coil in the right conditions. That is electrical noise.

A slight bang against a bush or the ground is what they are referring to. Some coils seem to have loose components and when there is any jolt, you get a small signal. I believe this is what they are referring to.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:47 am

i used to get various false signals from some coilteck coils a few years back, switched to nugget finders superlight coils and i havent had anymore of those problems, commanders are too heavy for me ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Take a look here;
[url]http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/knowledge-base/news [/url]
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:59 am

I received my Commander mono back from the Minelab recall yesterday.
After they tested it thoroughly it was found to be faultless.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Turnaround time? 5 working days. Pretty damn good methinks.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Got my old skidplate back today, attached to a new coil, now serial number 109... instead of 106...

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:28 pm

In addition to my above post, new coil recalled and replaced, but I still had to cop postage and insurance charges getting it to Minelab, I pay for their incompetence. Same thing happened yesterday, Garmin etrexH returned and replaced, I had to pay the post and insurance to get it to Garmin.

It's a one way street.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Quit ya griping Bill. You can afford it after that monster nugget you found in my back yard Razz Razz Razz

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 am

Robert, if you had lent me some tweezers it would have been a lot easier to pick up.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

I got a note today in the mail from Minelab re a possible fault in the Mono coil that comes with the 5000 Empty GPX mono coil

Post  Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi guys. After 20 years of wanting a Minelab I finally bought the new GPX 5000.
Detecting Beachworth area the dealer said the mono coil would be the best choice to find fine gold.
My first trip out I was amazed at the stability of the mono coil, second trip the detector was becoming more unstable,
8 trips later the detector is bleeping off at nothing, still managing to find plenty of bullets Hmm, so the coil is performing,
starting to worry I'm missing fainter targets due to target response that isn't there.
Even with the detector stationary while digging a target with head phones still on, the detector sounds out full target detection.
Yep my mono coil is C107, I'm hoping it's only the coil.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi Guys,
what if we can send the coil back to Minelab via Cash On Delivery with Aust. Post, after all it is their fault and they should pay all the delivery costs, don't you think ??? Anyone out there agree as I now have a 5000 also and my number of the mono coil begins with C107.....
Unle bob. Question Question Question

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:47 pm

G'day someday

If your coil is a 107 you should have received a letter from Minelab.Mine is a 107 and when I sent it back it was tested and found to be faulty, it's been repaired and I now have it back. If you have'nt rec'd a letter I suggest you get in touch with Minelab.

Cheers
Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:55 pm

I have sent the warranty card just over one week ago and haven't received a letter from Minelab yet, do I need to wait for that letter?
uncle bob.

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin R Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Must check my coil one day, to see if its one of the recall units

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:05 am

UNCLE BOB wrote:I have sent the warranty card just over one week ago and haven't received a letter from Minelab yet, do I need to wait for that letter?
uncle bob.

Patience Bob. You will

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:08 am

"Must check my coil one day, to see if its one of the recall units"

What a crazy, wild, scary thing to do Martin. Be careful and take your time with this.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:20 am

Martin R wrote:Must check my coil one day, to see if its one of the recall units

Are you sure you actually got one Martin? Razz Razz Razz

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin R Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Goldnomad wrote:
Martin R wrote:Must check my coil one day, to see if its one of the recall units

Robert

LOLOLOLOL That would mean having to take them outa the box now wouldnt it LOL

I'll get around to it one day

M

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Martin R wrote:
Goldnomad wrote:

Robert

LOLOLOLOL That would mean having to take them outa the box now wouldnt it LOL

I'll get around to it one day

M

Not really, if you have really got one the number is also on the outside of the box Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:48 pm

UNCLE BOB wrote:Hi Guys,
what if we can send the coil back to Minelab via Cash On Delivery with Aust. Post, after all it is their fault and they should pay all the delivery costs, don't you think ??? Anyone out there agree as I now have a 5000 also and my number of the mono coil begins with C107.....
Unle bob. Question Question Question

Off the top of my head I can't think of any company that pays postage both ways on a warrenty claim.
While I can understand paying for freight to get your detector and finding the coil dodgey, yep I agree it's a bit rugged having to foot another expense to get it right. But it is standard industry practice throughout most industries. They pay the return frieght only.

My coil which falls within the numbers is problem free as are many, it's not all, only some!
A lot of blokes are sending thier perfect coils in and ofcause they are coming back with a clean bill of health (as mine would). Realistically I don't think it would be fair for ML the be expected to pick up the tab when there was no problem to start with. They are already paying some bugger to needlessly check them.

Just my thoughts.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi Tuna, I agree with you there. We need to test out our coils first to see if they are faulty and then sent it to ML "COD" LOL.
Anyway, how much does it cost to send the coil to ML?
Cheers,
uncle bob. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:04 pm

not sure Bob...but I've sent a bigger coil to a buyer in SA and I think it was under $20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:24 am

madtuna wrote:
My coil which falls within the numbers is problem free as are many, it's not all, only some!
A lot of blokes are sending thier perfect coils in and ofcause they are coming back with a clean bill of health (as mine would). Realistically I don't think it would be fair for ML the be expected to pick up the tab when there was no problem to start with. They are already paying some bugger to needlessly check them.

Just my thoughts.

The recall letter I received from ML did not specify what the problem was so I sent it back,even though I believed it worked perfectly, to ensure I didn't have a problem later on. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially if you're in the middle of nowhere. It didn't come back with a letter saying it was "needlessly" checked.
It would be interesting to know how many 4500's went back during their recal that weren't faulty but still had a part(s) replaced.

Btw, it cost me about $12 to send the coil back. Cheap insurance.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:45 am

Goldnomad wrote:
madtuna wrote:

Just my thoughts.

The recall letter I received from ML did not specify what the problem was so I sent it back,even though I believed it worked perfectly, to ensure I didn't have a problem later on. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially if you're in the middle of nowhere. It didn't come back with a letter saying it was "needlessly" checked.
It would be interesting to know how many 4500's went back during their recal that weren't faulty but still had a part(s) replaced.

Btw, it cost me about $12 to send the coil back. Cheap insurance.

Robert

Wasn't having a go at you Rob or anyone.

The recall letter stated..

"Minelab recommend GPX 5000 owners do not return their 11” Monoloop coil if:

* You are not experiencing false signals through slightly bumping their 11” Monoloop coil, OR
* You have a coil with a serial number starting with C101….."

So if you sent it in without those problems, it was needlessly sent in and needlessly checked... needlessly was my word not minelabs...

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 am

"A lot of blokes are sending thier perfect coils in and ofcause they are coming back with a clean bill of health (as mine would). Realistically I don't think it would be fair for ML the be expected to pick up the tab when there was no problem to start with. They are already paying some bugger to needlessly check them." Tuna

Tuna, like Robert, I sent mine back without knowing if it was faulty. I was not in a position where I could check mine before my next two week trip - but that is beside the point I reckon.

If a coil's serial number is within the designated problem area, I think it should be checked. If something in the coil is not secured correctly, it could be OK for a while and then come adrift - on a six week trip to WA. Why should a customer risk that ? Minelab created the problem, they should take anything sent back and check it out (and they have to their credit).

Mine was faulty and it was repaired and sent back.

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next