Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Climate change (again)

4 posters

Go down

Climate change (again) Empty Climate change (again)

Post  Pebbles Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:05 pm

I came across this article in the ABC news this morning and for me, at least, was compelling reading:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-24/odyssey-climate-scientists-suppress-truth-or-risk-funds-careers/102968970

I guess each of us will make of it what we want to, depending on our level of understanding of the scientific process and/or personal opinion.

The article makes reference to Nerilie Abram, a palaeoclimate scientist from Australian National University. Two of her quotes that are probably relevant to previous discussion on the topic of climate change on this forum are:

“The science is emphatic” and, in relation to her efforts to advocate the science to governments and to the broader community,

“It’s a step she says has exposed her and her colleagues to hostile commentary and personal attacks, particularly on social media.”

Pebbles
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Back to top Go down

Climate change (again) Empty Re: Climate change (again)

Post  moredeep Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:55 pm

An interesting read pebbles thank for sharing.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1864
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:38 pm

Pebbles, they do say "for the love of money, is the root of all evil" but, lets not confuse the majority, with the hand full few minority of shenanigans out there, of whom exist in every occupation/trade. Self interests if taken to extremes, can & does pervert the course of justice, such is the world we live in.
I know little in way of the sciences, but one would have to be naïve, ignorant or arrogant for that matter, not to be seeing/hearing of the devastating effects climate change is having around the globe, on a more regular basis now, year after year.
As to the main cause's of such devastating climatic change, can be affiliated no doubt to more than one factor, but one things for certain, if we (mankind) continue to do nothing, in order to possibly reduce some of the harmful effects of such climatic change, or even that of making any necessary changes, in order to adapt to such changes in climate, our own very existence, may somewhat be at threat, in the not so distant future.
The question here we should all be asking, isn't about who's more in the right or wrong (scientists), but on whether to take some form of action in order to help reduce or decrease the effects of such climate change (possibly threatening our own survival in the not so distant future), or do we continue doing what we currently do & hope that the rise in global temperatures, take a turn for the better over time?
Mind you, all the above, is only my opinion & my opinion alone  Smile

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4506
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

granite2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Pebbles Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:04 pm

Kon, the first paragraph in your post has me confused! What point are you trying to make?

Further down your post you state: “The question here we should all be asking, isn't about who's more in the right or wrong (scientists)……..”

Again, what is your point?

Pebbles
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:09 pm

My point here is whether it being through the sciences or that of governing bodies, private corporations/industries, placing self interest/money  above all else, tends to suppress/distort actual, scientifically proven, facts/figures, especially where climate & the environment is considered, not to mention, every other field of work.
I agree, truth should never be muzzled nor distorted in any way shape or form, but made available for all to read. Unfortunately (& because of self interest/money) this is not always the case, with just about everything going on through news/media, is not all that it seems to be.
As for my last sentence, my point here is why keep debating the current changes in environment or that of climate, when instead scientists together with governing officials/private industry, get together towards finding a plausible solution to such issues/problems the world is currently experiencing, instead of going round in rhetorical circles of who's more in the right/wrong & or what form of action to take if any, concerning climate change or that of ones environment?
Now pebbles you're probably thinking what's all this waffle got to do with your header "climate scientists suppress truth or risk funds/careers",everything where one knows the truth is being suppressed.
For if scientists aren't allowed to speak the whole truth of what they consider to be actual, scientifically proven, facts/figures & feel like they're being muzzled by corporate bodies or government officials, as to what they're allowed to divulge or say to the general public in way of their scientific finds, then why continue working in such an industry? Could it be because of position of authority or that of money? Smile

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4506
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

granite2 and adrian ss like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:11 am

Max temp in Alice Springs for 1914 was 42.8 deg C
Max temp for Alice Springs for 2023 was 43.2 deg C
Lowest temp was -0.8 deg C----Sounds pretty normal.....Where is the climate change

Alice Springs is the centre of Australia. Nothing much has changed aye!
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down