Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To mod or not to mod...

+14
24kt
nero_design
Alf
Narrawa
kon61
tomahawk1
Qld Sandy
Rtanweb
MS
Scrubhen
deutran
Goldbait
granite2
extreme
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

To mod or not to mod... Empty To mod or not to mod...

Post  extreme Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Do most of you have original (un-modified) detectors or are there some out there with older type versions with modifications?

I ask this question because I am getting an extreme with full mods fitted.

What are your thoughts on modified detectors?

On another note,

All those once a year mug punters (like myself), load up on SHOCKING eachway in the Melb cup.

Last year he won with no luck being three wide the trip, no cover going away on the line.

He loves Flemington and the wet, saturday is predicted for rain all day.

He has been set for the race and Kavanagh is very confident. this is the mail from the stable.

He will start shorter than the $4.50 on offer at the moment.

Good luck.

Mr ex

extreme
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

To mod or not to mod... Empty Re: To mod or not to mod...

Post  granite2 Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Good luck Mr Ex, you will need it. I wouldn't have a modified Minelab GP if you gave it to me. For a start they are vitually unsaleable and even Minelab won't repair them if they come in buggered. The modders say they warranty their work but they don't warranty the rest of the detector guts so if something unrelated goes wrong with it you are stuck. The modder won't, can't, repair it and Minelab (rightly) doesn't want to know about it.

I always reckon the blokes who designed and built the detector knows a lot more about it than the backyard blokes who think they know best. But there you go? Do what you think is best and if it does come back and bite you on the bum, don't complain.

Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm

i run a modded GP and love it.

i don't care what anyone else says. The guys who mod the machines are usually Minelab repairers anyway and if something does go wrong (and it goes wrong with non modded detectors), the repair bill won't be too bad regardless.

Not to mention you get up-to-date components installed which will only make the machine run better.... why would u upgrade your computer if not to make it run better. same thing.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Like my detector, I don't upgrade, or mod, my computor I buy a new model.

Cheers, jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm

I forgot to add: as far as I know the only people who repair minelab detectors are minelab techs in Adelaide.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Its easy to see modded machines compared in either open air tests or even in ground tests on actual targets,but I,ve seen the results of modded extremes versus the later detectors in real life.The newer detectors win hands down with gold won at the end of the day.
This is only what I,ve seen and may not be the same in all situations or ground types particularly in benign ground.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Maybe so Steve,
But it still as always boils down to just how much money one has available to throw at ones hobby

Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

To mod or not to mod... Empty Why would you

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi All
The thing that is forgotten here is that all minelab machines have an abilty to find gold that is of a certain size and depth.This is its gold signature.Then with each new model comes a different or addition gold signature.This is done by Changing frequencies and or timings.For Example Run a SD2200 in ch2 and Deep with a 18dd and you have a far different "signature" than running a Gpx4500 in enhance with an 18 mono.Gold will be common to both Machines but there will also be targets that one will hear and the other wont.
Does one machine have it all ,well the answer is no.Are some machines better on certain targets yes.
The point is why would you modify a machine.Each one has been designed with a specific gold signature.Rather that trying to change it into something that it isnt ,it would be wiser to understand its strengths and use it accordingly.
Cheers Dig
Ps Are all machines of the same series the same.The answer is no.If you can try do some inground tests with a mate to make sure your machine operates at its full potential.Fluttery thresholds can make your life a misery as can wishy washy signal responses.

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:39 pm

My experience with my modded GP3500 has been positive, this discussion always gets complicated and heated but many miss the point as the why mods are done.
I work in heavy mineralised areas and my unit couldn't cope , the gold left in these areas is mostly small up to 4 grams.
I paid well under 3K for my unit and didn't want to spend double at that point in time for a new unit.
Modding made my unit run more stable in the areas I work and gave me extra depth and settings {timings}which allowed me to target small , med and large gold.
With the mods done I spent $3100 total and this also gave me a good selection of 4 coils.
I have on several occasions done much better against GPX units and are very happy with my gold take with this machine now.
The 4000 had issues and wasn't much of a leap over the 3500 in my opinion but the 4500 has proven itself as a good model and I wouldn't consider modding a 4500 or above, this is my opinion only as I have no experience with any other mods except what I have had done myself.
Mods do have a place and the bottom line is they save you money , improve your gold take and allow a cheaper entry into gold detecting.
Altering timings does allow you to hear missed nuggets and I know I have some that I have seen other swing over and they didn't hear.
The fact is some people don't have the funds to buy the latest detector or simply don't want to spend the big dollars as they just want to have a swing every now and then, this is the main market for mods and I for one are a happy customer.
When my gold take declines to a point I will consider a upgrade but one thing for sure you won't see my faithful modded 3500 hit the second hand market
How can anyone put modding down especially with something they have not had done to their own machine and not even spent considerable time in the field testing and comparing, I fully support Woody in the work he has done to my machine and respect the fact he knows a lot more about the operation and electronics of detectors than I do and bet ML have been keeping a close eye on some of his modifications and may have even influenced some features on the new models.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:01 pm

I find it strange that for all the positive claims about modded detectors that exist, no one has yet produced a single side-by-side comparison on ground targets.
Really, i mean i can not find any such comparison. Makes me think that there is a reason for it, otherwise modders would release such comparison themselfs.

My IMHO is to stay away from "modding". And thats coming from IT pro who builds his own computers as a hobby.
Seriously, looking at the modding through the eyes of a person who understands software and hardware...is scary.

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:52 pm

Everyone that is putting mods down has never owned a modded detector.

everyone who has owned a modded detector knows how good they really are..

you only have to look at youtube for the comparisons and a modded GP extreme out performs a 3500 in the field.

i hate these topics. of course everyone has their opinion and they are entitled to it. but until someone has some definitive proof to add to this thread stop bagging the modded detectors.

Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Goldbait wrote:Everyone that is putting mods down has never owned a modded detector.

everyone who has owned a modded detector knows how good they really are..

you only have to look at youtube for the comparisons and a modded GP extreme out performs a 3500 in the field.

i hate these topics. of course everyone has their opinion and they are entitled to it. but until someone has some definitive proof to add to this thread stop bagging the modded detectors.

Incorect on the first 3 points. I had a moddded 2000 and I can say it was the noisiest damn thing I ever used. I couldn't believe the gold I'd left on our chained patches when we went over them with the 3000 that replaced it. A customer of mine sold his modded 2000 that he'd owned for 11 years and upgraded to a 5000 which has netted him enough gold from his old modded 2000 patches to pay for a second unit as well. I am dubious about youtube.

Last edited by Qld Sandy on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical errors)
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:09 pm

I'll add that the modders are creating themselves a niche market, as Minelab won't fix a modded detector (because of the time needed to perform this job), and dealers are extremely reluctant to trade one in, if at all. I would like to see a side by side comparison done as I was taught to believe a quarter of what you hear and a half of what you see. Shocked
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:14 pm

[/quote]

Incorect on the first 3 points. I had a moddded 2000 and I can say it was the noisiest damn thing I ever used. I couldn't believe the gold I'd left on chained patched when I went over with the 3000 that replaced it. A customer of mine sold his modded 2000 that he'd owned for 11 years and upgraded to a 5000 which has netted him enough gold from his old modded 2000 patches to pay for a second unit as well.[/quote]

Hi QLD Sandy
I don't think any fair comparison can be made between a old modded 2000 to any of the newer units, of course any of the last 4 models will beat it hands down, those old units are only useful for DD coil use and large deeper gold Exclamation
Mods allow quieter operation with mono coils and seem to shine on the 3000/3500 platform
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  tomahawk1 Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Hi All new here
I have a 2000 and is highly modded ... I read somewhere that they are noisy when modded ..not so my friend and as a comparison i had one on my bench along side a GP model . Using same coil the GP was so noisey and unstable amongst all the interference around my shop could not even pick up a .2 grammer ... then hooked up same coil ( by the way it be a mono ) and turned on my 2000 ... quiet as and guess what ...picked up the .2 grammer with ease
So u can all sit there throw out ur pros n cons ... If your 2000 was the "noisiest dam thing" then it wasn't done right. The early mods were only a gain mod and extra xtals ... the first 2000 came out with 6 controls .. mine has 12 ... and about 13 different mods.
IMHO go for a mod and save ur dollars. Very Happy Very Happy

tomahawk1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:43 pm

G'day Fellow prospectors.

To MOD or not to MOD?,That is the question. I personally don't see modding any bit of equipment as a bad thing.As long as by modding a piece of equipment,it actually improves the machines capabilities,from what it was, without interfering with any other part of the machines overall capabilities,then why not mod?. Most of us out there know that there are mods that can be done on various model machines that can and do show some overall improvement in performance,as long as its not at the cost of interfering with the machines other modes when used in conjunction.A good example of this is when extra gain is applied to the output of the coil, increasing its depth and sensitivity to targets,but at the same time also increasing overall ground noise,making mono coils harder to balance and more unstable as the ground gets hotter.Basically you cant just mod one thing without modding the other as well. Now if the ground balance/threshold feature is also modded,so as to be able to accommodate the extra sensitivity/depth output (or so called timing),maintaining a good stable threshold and ground balance then I'd call it a successful mod,not a half cocked one.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:06 am

I had the opportunity to use a modded 3000 against my 4500 some time back, and posted my findings on this forum.
The unit had no usable benefits over ground I once hunted with a stock 3000, and had nothing on the 4500.
The stock 3000 over that ground would outperform the modded one hands down, because of the mods it was not usable in some areas tested.
And I have worked beside a few modded detectors that the owners of could not use certain aspects of the detector after its mods.

Firmware is a forgotten factor in this debate.

My opinion, the more modded detectors out there the better, and would recommend it to anyone considering having it done.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:11 am

Sounds like a bunch of teenagers thinking that putting nice chrome wheels, bonnet scoop, fancy lights, and a nice paint job, a 3" exhaust. makes their car perform better, of course you will believe it, it looks better, sounds better and you have justified your hard earnt spent dollars.

Alf
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:42 am

Out of curiosity, how do tell if a machine has been modded? I have a secondhand 3500.

Best ebay purchase I've ever made Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:26 am

tomahawk1 wrote:Hi All new here
I have a 2000 and is highly modded ... I read somewhere that they are noisy when modded ..not so my friend and as a comparison i had one on my bench along side a GP model . Using same coil the GP was so noisey and unstable amongst all the interference around my shop could not even pick up a .2 grammer ... then hooked up same coil ( by the way it be a mono ) and turned on my 2000 ... quiet as and guess what ...picked up the .2 grammer with ease
So u can all sit there throw out ur pros n cons ... If your 2000 was the "noisiest dam thing" then it wasn't done right. The early mods were only a gain mod and extra xtals ... the first 2000 came out with 6 controls .. mine has 12 ... and about 13 different mods.
IMHO go for a mod and save ur dollars. Very Happy Very Happy

Enjoy your new sensitivity to small targets and your loss of depth on large.
SD2000's by nature simply can't handle a monoloop without a variety of grief. Sure, some people try to use them with a mono but they'll always have the same issue. Especially if it's been altered in some way to handle a smaller coil for smaller gold. But yes, I believe the SD2000s may benefit from new components. But "13 different mods"? The very fact that you turned your PI machine on inside a store (and within range of all that EMI) in order to test and compare it says a lot more about your results.

To mod or not to mod... Medium

Yes, we're limited to what we can use based on our needs at the time or other factors (availability, price etc). But I keep hearing outrageous claims by certain modders about the old machines being cranked up to outperform the new and in virtually every instance this claim has been made to generate more sales and mods for them.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

To mod or not to mod... Empty If i paint my GPX5000 will that be as good or better than a GPX5800 ?

Post  24kt Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:47 am

PMSFL don't believe everything you read or see on the internet. Whether it be on YOUTUBE or someone's webpage.

All the guys that have had modification done to their minelab detectors ARE YOU WILLING to come out and play on the goldfields for a real back to back comparison field days testing.

I'm not affiliated with any shop nor business that sells metal detectors or repairs and modify them.

A real independent field test day is needed with no bias leaning over to anyone advantage.

ANY TAKERS ??? BBQ and drinks supplied on the day !!!! LOL

24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  tomahawk1 Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:40 am

Hi ya Mrss NErO
SOrry ol boy to upset you... u must be a 5000 promoter or something.... no loss in Depth .. my unit still maintains its superb depth and has a huge increase on small gold .. and yes has been proven on the field against 4500 several months ago. I was following in my mates foot steps and picking up the bits he missed .. Oh yes was quite supriesed myself and he had a bit of a chuckle.
These are not outrageous claims but pure fact and I am not in the bussiness to sell mods as am just a humble Tech who's upgraded his old 2000. There are even 2000 units out there with micros installed ... broaden your views fellows as there is more than one way to mod.
TIS goodbye fm me ... 73's all n 88's if ur ladies
cheers all ..
TOMAHAWK1

tomahawk1
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

To mod or not to mod... Empty mods succeed where the gpx4500 fails

Post  evan2010 Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:55 am

Succeeds at what??? Flucking up a perfectly good detector me thinks!! Ever used a GPX? What a Load of Crap!!
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:34 pm

24kt wrote:PMSFL don't believe everything you read or see on the internet. Whether it be on YOUTUBE or someone's webpage.

All the guys that have had modification done to their minelab detectors ARE YOU WILLING to come out and play on the goldfields for a real back to back comparison field days testing.

I'm not affiliated with any shop nor business that sells metal detectors or repairs and modify them.

A real independent field test day is needed with no bias leaning over to anyone advantage.

ANY TAKERS ??? BBQ and drinks supplied on the day !!!! LOL

All this has been said before and if you read up on previous posts a trip was going to be organized for testing, in the end we had a training course at Laanecoorie in Vic and detected the Dunnoly area ,I traveled over from SA with my modded unit ,but none of the knockers who have so much negative stuff on here to say about modded units bothered to show up. I think there was around thirty of us and all had a great time,
As I'm in SA and due to work commitments I couldn't do another trip interstate till next winter, but are able to head out to one of our local fields ie, MT Crawford or Jupiter creek if someone wants to try and show me their standard GP 3000,GP3500 or even a GPX 4000 can detect smaller gold deeper than my unit and the noisier ground the better, can use a standard 11" mono coil to keep things the same.
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey Mark sales of the 5000 must be slow Smile

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:23 pm

CJ wrote:Hey Mark sales of the 5000 must be slow Smile

I guess CJ your probably right.
The fact is the difference between a modded GP to the latest machine in sensitivity and depth is not much, at the end of the day the best way to increase your gold take is to get out there in the right areas and put time in swinging a coil, locating the less worked areas or virgin ground is the key and especially knowing how to use your machine. In my opinion all this talk about you must have the latest and greatest otherwise your just wasting your time is just someone trying to justify their own purchase or some vested interest in the sales of new units.
It's a bit of a no brainier to put test targets down and see the difference between before and after modifications, and with all the money and time I spend on equipment and trips away, as if I wouldn't jump to upgrading if I thought it would make a substantial difference in my gold finds.
Each to their own and be happy with what you have to work with and the difference between someone being successful or not out there is be confident, put in the hard yards and you will be rewarded sooner or later, do the maths the more time your out there, the more holes you are digging the more gold you will find, and remember you make your own luck in this game.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Mark,

Just your opinion on that there wasnt much difference between the 3500 and 4000 unmodded...can you expand on that????? without me hijacking the thread...Thanks...

HueyDuck....
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  tomahawk1 Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:03 pm

MS wrote:
CJ wrote:Hey Mark sales of the 5000 must be slow Smile

I guess CJ your probably right.
The fact is the difference between a modded GP to the latest machine in sensitivity and depth is not much, at the end of the day the best way to increase your gold take is to get out there in the right areas and put time in swinging a coil, locating the less worked areas or virgin ground is the key and especially knowing how to use your machine. In my opinion all this talk about you must have the latest and greatest otherwise your just wasting your time is just someone trying to justify their own purchase or some vested interest in the sales of new units.
It's a bit of a no brainier to put test targets down and see the difference between before and after modifications, and with all the money and time I spend on equipment and trips away, as if I wouldn't jump to upgrading if I thought it would make a substantial difference in my gold finds.
Each to their own and be happy with what you have to work with and the difference between someone being successful or not out there is be confident, put in the hard yards and you will be rewarded sooner or later, do the maths the more time your out there, the more holes you are digging the more gold you will find, and remember you make your own luck in this game.
Mark

Dito .. well said

tomahawk1
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:16 pm

HueyDuck wrote:Hi Mark,

Just your opinion on that there wasnt much difference between the 3500 and 4000 unmodded...can you expand on that????? without me hijacking the thread...Thanks...

HueyDuck....

Hi HueyDuck
My modded 3500 was able to find smaller deeper finds than a friend with his 4000, when he switched to sensitive smooth his unit was running quieter but lost depth even further, there were lots of reports of stability issues with this model .
I have seen enough examples from other friends who I detect with and they were not impressed after spending all that extra money when they could see no real depth performance increase over the GP units they upgraded from.
My standard Gp3500 was definitely noisy before the mods but side by side performance with a 4000 after the mods fixed this and from what I saw beat the 4000 .
Others may or may not come to the same conclusion, but thats what I found.
It doesn't matter whether you have a GP or GPX unit, but it does if you allow all the negative performance rubbish put you off to the point thinking you are behind the 8 ball.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Weeeellll just think how much more you will find with a modded GPX5000 if the previous Models Moddeified are nearly as good as the 5000. I ask this question and would like an honest answer. If the Techs doing these mods are so good, think of how much they can make if they produce a new full working detector that is better than a minelab GPX5000. So why are they not doing it? If I was smart enough I would. Hell you would have the market

Alf
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum