Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds

+8
PeterInSa
phrunt
moredeep
Kon61gold
bfloyd4445
joe82
geof_junk
deutran
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Empty 15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds

Post  kiwijw Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 pm

Hi guys, A couple of days after getting these bits, bar one.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210429

Out of this hole

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210430

I went back to try the Gold Monster in it to see if there were any smaller bits. I was in luck & got two more smaller bits

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210431

I then just dug the crap out of the hole making it wider & deeper but ended up getting nothing more with the GM or the Zed. I tried both the 15" & the 12 x 8. Nothing more.

So I wandered off to another spot where I had done ok on back in my GP 3000 days but nothing more with the 4500 or the Zed with the ML 14 coil. I had tried a few times with the Zed & ML coil as I do when I am in the locality but got nothing. This time was no different but this time I had the 15" X coil on & since I was there I thought I had nothing to lose.

Well bugger me. I got 4 little bits. Crazy. All in the up on edge folds down in the schist. Not overly deep but they were all pretty small.

This first bit was down the edge of a drop off into a tailing race. So I had to be carful not to lose it down into there.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210432

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210433

This one was probably the deepest. Took a bit of schist smashing & raking the pick down through the schist foliation to pop it out.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210434

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210435

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210436

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210437

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210438

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210439

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210440

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210441

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210442

We had a couple of days rain & this arvo it cleared nicely with the sun popping out so I went off for a detect for a couple of hours to get out of the house.
Went to an area that Simon & I were struggling to get anything any more & I hadn't been here for a while. Thought I may as well try the 15" coil. It wasn't the easiest of places to use that size coil & I was struggling & losing my mental ground balance but I got a faint signal through a slab of schist rock.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210443

I flipped the rock over & out of the way & the signal improved slightly & was still down in the gravels.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210444

It still took a bit of digging & scraping before the signal was out.

A .25 gram piece of the good stuff.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210445

Crazy small for the depth & a coil of that size. That was it for the afternoon & I called it quits on that one.

Cheers

Good luck out there

JW   Q39
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

AnnieL, norvic, bfloyd4445, moredeep, ChetB, phrunt, stevevic and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Empty Re: 15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:37 pm

I've often thought of panning some of those deeper gravels.. never got around to it !!!

Ya never know. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Thats pretty impressive
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

kiwijw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:38 pm

Impressive indeed for a coil of that size/stature. Well done JW cheers

Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

kiwijw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks guys for the comments & feedback. T06

@ Butch. Hi Butch, When I get a few bits of gold from one dig I usually go back with the Gold Monster or GB2 to scavenge for any tiny rats & mice as I have shown in some of my posts. I have also on occasion done just what you mentioned. In fact not too far from this spot I got a little glory hole back in my GP 3000 days. There is a little creek not too far away from that spot so I went back in there & with my classifier bucket set up & sluice box set up in the creek. I did bloody well in quite a lot of finer gold.

Here are some pics of my classifier bucket set up & sluice box operation. This is at a different location but same as what I just described above.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Classi10

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Classi15

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Classi11

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Classi12

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Classi13

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Classi14

Well.....if I was impressed with the depth of the 15" Concentric X coil yesterday. I was blown away today. I ended up going for another quick afternoon detect today to an area that again had dried up on the gold take. Last gold was with the 15 x 10 X coil but I thought I would give the 15 Concentric a go.

I got a very faint, almost imagined signal. You know the ones. It wasn't always there but something just pulled me up when I first 'thought' I heard it. I ume'd & are'd over it but thought I would take a bit off the top to see if it improved or was even a signal.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210446

I was still in a top soil loam but there was a faint signal there now. So I laid into the dig until I hit schist gravels.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210447

The signal was real good now & I was into tight packed gravels & now really liking my chances of it being gold & not rubbish. Finally the signal was out. That scoop is 12 inches long

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210448

The coil is 15" diameter

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210450

Another thing about this dig is it was directly under powerlines. No EMI or interference with this coil. High Yield Normal & full max sensitivity of 20.

This is looking directly up from the dig.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210449

.85 of a gram piece of gold

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210451

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210452

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210453

Crazy depth on that size gold with a coil of that size. Be very interesting to see what the GPX 6000 delivers.

Cheers

Good luck out there

JW  Q39
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk, moredeep, ChetB, phrunt and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:12 pm

cheers

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:17 pm

I've likely been over that spot and missed that bit in the past with a different coil Smile In the 3rd photo with the scoop in the hole you see the power lines shadow going over your hole Smile

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2021-01-20

geof_junk and kiwijw like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:09 pm

I was looking at those lines and was wondering what made them. Now that you pointed it out I should of guessed, but missed the shadow on the coil.  15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 1f600
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

kiwijw and phrunt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:23 am

I never enjoyed detecting that particular spot where the power lines are with my GPX, it sounded like a cross between a UFO and a Police siren in the area from all of the EMI from the power lines.  I had to dumb it right down and then my chances were slim and I never found any gold there with it, When my QED arrived I spent a couple of days detecting under and around those power lines hoping it's increased immunity to EMI would help me get bits others had missed in the past with detectors that were chased away by the EMI from the lines, it managed to get me one small nugget right near them on some bedrock in this same general area JW found his bit yesterday.  I then took the Equinox and used it in single frequency 40kHZ as Multi IQ was too bad around the lines, it found me 3 pieces from memory directly on the bedrock near the lines that others had missed including myself with the QED, mostly likely because they were very small pieces.  

When I upgraded to the GPZ I once again started to detect around these power lines as it handled it quite well, I mostly used the 15x10" in this particular area as it was doing well in general in other spots, I found a few bits with the 2.2 gram one I mentioned previously being the biggest, it was pretty close to the power lines, 20 or so meters I'd guess.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2071

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2069

So I am pretty confident I'd been over this bit of ground at least once where JW got this piece of gold and I missed it.  JW has a more trained ear for the faint targets than I do but I can't help but think the Concentric coil had something to do with it, that coil is just doing so well in our soils and it handles EMI from power lines very well.  Taking the Concentric coil to old spots that appeared cleaned out looks like it's working well.

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

geof_junk, kiwijw, norvic, moredeep, ChetB and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm

Hi guys, I found a crazy small bit of gold on Saturday with the 15" Concentric coil down about 4 inches.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210454

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210455

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210459

I don't know how that is going to compare with the GPX 6000 but with a few finds coming in now with the 6000 it will be very interesting to see. Not forgetting that this is a 15" coil on my Zed & not an 11" like I am seeing on the 6000 finds.

I wandered on down this sunburnt gully but found no more with the Zed but did get an even smaller piece with the Gold Monster.

At the bottom end of this well worked & turned over gully from back in the early gold rush days of the early to mid 1860's is an old "Chinese" rock overhang hut shelter. I say Chinese as they were well known for building these kind of dwellings but it could have well & truly been European too. They had piled stacks of flat schist rock to close it in from the elements. I have come across many of these type dwellings over the years when wandering the hills & far off gullies.

This particular one I have know about for many years & always thought to myself that I should go inside it & detect for what ever may have been lost or hidden or just dropped by the original dwellers. Trouble is that it has always had a lot of briar rose bushes growing tightly up against its entrances. This time with the Gold Monster in hand & wandered down to it & to my surprise quite a bit of the briar had died off & I was able to crawl into one of the openings.

This is the hole I climbed in through.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210456

It is at the top end of the dwelling & the ground here was raised up quite a bit more than the lower end.

I then spun around & this pic is looking down to the bottom end. Quite a few of the schist stone slabs have fallen down. Note the briar rose growing in the openings.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210458

I started to detect the inside of the stacked schist slab walls for anything that the inhabitants may have hidden or stashed in between the layers of schist. I got a strong non ferrous signal in one spot where the stacked schist had a dried mud mortar packed in-between the schist layers. I scraped away at this with my scoop & gathered the scrapings into the scoop & scanned it over the coil. BANG. Loud signal. Hoping it was a stash of gold nuggets or coins, but it was an old bullet. I scanned the spot again & another signal. Ended up getting 4 of these old bullets out of the hole that the mud mortar was in & hiding them.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210460

The handle end of the scoop is pointing to the hole. You can still see dried mud in there.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210461

This pic is looking back up to the higher built area from the start of the lower bottom end of the dwelling. That is the hole I climbed in.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210463

These next two a bit further down again. Notice the briar rose growing in the openings.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210464

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210462

I also found quite a few old square nails on the floor. They had laid flat schist on the floor but over time there was a layer of dirt covering it. There were also nails hammered into the outside face of the schist rock above the overhang. This would have been to nail canvas up that was probably rolled up during the day to let light it. There was also still some mud packing on the outside where the top of the canvas would have been. This would have been to seal the canvas top edge to stop water running running down & into the dwelling. There was also a bigger spike hammered into the outside of the schist that may have been to hang a lantern on.

It is at the bottom end of a gully that has been heavily worked & turned over. I have found some good gold here over the years but getting very hard to find any these days. It is a dry gully & has no water at all. They would have had to of carted the paydirt off to the nearest creek to wash it. So they only took the bottom richest layer. They threw quite a bit of gold out on to their piles in reaching for the richer bottom layer. Bless their little golden hearts

These are the bullets & the gold I found. The 5 bits are with the Gold monster & the one by itself was the piece with the Zed & 15" coil.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210465

The bullets are 12 mm rim pinfire bullets for a hand revolver & was a very common weapon on the goldfields in the early gold rush days of the 1860's.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 12_mm_10

One of the Bullets was exactly like this one. https://freemycollection.com/?page=list_pinfire_by_id&id=100
The other three were the same as this one.  https://freemycollection.com/?page=list_pinfire_by_id&id=268

Pretty cool find I reckon.  Laughing

This was the gold found with the Gold monster

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210466

Cheers & Good luck out there

JW  Q39
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk, xmas tree, moredeep, ChetB, phrunt, stevevic and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:37 pm

wow,what a tough life living in that little cave, it would of got a little Smokey with a fire going.
Bound to a few more hidden treasures kicking around? great story JW good luck.
I wonder if the gunpowder in the bullets is still dry and viable[bang]

cheers    moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:33 pm

JW you are 4 times better than me. I only have one pin fire bullet in my collection and I am still proud of the find. If I remember right they were only around for a short time due to the introduction of the revolver.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

kiwijw, phrunt and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:11 pm

Yea, that was a cool story. The bullets are awesome, what a find!

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

geof_junk and kiwijw like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 am

It looks like I get to slot in a find or two in this thread. Smile

A couple of days ago JW and I decided we'd go on a gold hunt, the weather wasn't looking too flash, my drive to JW's largely consisted of admiring the fresh snow on the mountains knowing ski season isn't far off and the fact we are about to be flooded by Aussie tourists because of that and the fact our borders finally opened to Australia.

I didn't really take any good snow photos stopping on the side of the road like a tourist but here is one from out the front of JW's house as we were loading our gear in the car.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2074

Once I arrived at JW's the rain had really kicked in so we were a bit lost for where to go, jumped on the phones and discovered the area of my recent patch was looking like the best weather so we jumped in the car and off we went, after a coffee of course.

We had talked a bit about going back to the patch and trying the ground above it, the way the patch turned out the very fine gold was down the bottom, a bit further up the hillside was the bulk of the patch, all in quite a small area but it was acting like a bit of a line up the hill so we started detecting, JW fortunately turned he detector on to walk to the place he was heading as he hit a glory hole Smile I'll leave that up to him to tell.  I just wandered around aimlessly hoping to find another area where the trail of nuggets were hiding.  It was only 10 or so minutes and I had my first nugget.  The crazy thing about this concentric coil running in HY/Normal/19 is just how loud it sings on small nuggets and this was no exception.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2072

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2073

I diligently checked around that nuggets location hoping it had some friends nearby but it was a loner.

A bit of time went by, maybe an hour I'm not sure but by now JW was well and truly digging up his golden goodness.  I wandered further over trying to line up my position on the hillside with my patch down below and had something that sounded like a 22 shell, a few scrapes and it was still there.  This isn't that unusual as sometimes I've dug these things deep so I wasn't overly optimistic yet, the signal was just too loud and strong and with a majority of our nuggets being quite small I wasn't even thinking it was going to be a bit a of gold.  Kept on digging and JW walks up to see what the commotion is.  Now that I think about it I should have asked him to take some video as I was digging away like mad going down deeper, breaking up the bedrock and digging more.  It took me quite a while but out popped the target after dragging out the contents of the hole.  

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2076

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2075

As you can see, quite the hole, and a mission to dig it but I'm glad I did:)

I did my usual check very well around the location of the nugget thing, going low and slow and taking my time, it looked like it too was a loner then when I was about 10 meters away from it another hit! Bang! Big boomer, Please tell me this is another nugget and not the 22 shell this time Smile

Again, a hard work dig, but nowhere near as hard as the last one, I didn't have to break up the bedrock on this one, it was sitting on top of it.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2078

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2083

And here's a little video of it when I was confident it was going to be gold.

Right before leaving I found another little guy, this one was one I could have easily rejected it as a shotgun pellet as it was virtually on the surface, it just didn't sound like a pellet so I went ahead and recovered it, lucky! I did dig about 20 pellets during the day, and rejected another 50 or so by ignoring first scrape and it moves targets.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2077

And the hillside I am hoping continues on with more gold, it goes forever, it's going to take a long time to cover this ground with a 15" coil, looks quite intimidating.  I don't know how you guys in WA look at the vast redness of nothing and think I'm going to detect all of that! Smile

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2079

And the weigh in

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2081

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2080

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2082

We were going to go back today but that didn't work out so we'll have to go another day soon and see what else we can scratch out of the hillside.  I feel right at home with the GPZ and Concentric coil, the combination suits me well and I love I can lift the coil in the air over a target to pinpoint it with the very center of the coil being the deepest it really helps even when I've dug a heap of dirt out onto the ground I use that method to narrow down where the shotgun pellet is in the dirt, sometimes by doing that I can get it in my first recovery scoop.

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

kiwijw, Hermann, xmas tree, moredeep, ChetB, stevevic and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:23 am

JW/Phrunt, always a pleasure reading about your gold adventures. Superb looking scenery, nice gold finds, well done to you fellas. cheers

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

kiwijw, phrunt and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:18 am

Nice gold lads well done 👍

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

phrunt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mn90403 Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:32 am

I too enjoy the stories the Kiwis show and tell. There is nothing quite like it on the net. Keep it up guys.

Mitchel

mn90403
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2021-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post  bfloyd4445 Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:40 am

Chuckle....from reading posts here it seems like NZ and Australia are made of gold with a little dirt and rock thrown in to cover it up. You guys make it appear that gold is easier to find than a cold pint. Very Happy ....
bfloyd4445
bfloyd4445
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2015-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:56 am

I sure don't. I spent yesterday on the prowl for some gold in the area we just got quite a bit a few days ago, I came away with a pocket full of pellets and some deep boot tacks that got me digging down into the bedrock Sad People don't report on the days they find nothing Smile

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

kiwijw, joe82 and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:30 pm

True that mate I have 2 big coffee tins full of trash with easily over 5000 junk targets from small bits of wire to 22 bullets shot pellets tin all the good stuff

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

kiwijw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Re Rubbish
What annoyed me some years ago.... I use 2 ML rubbish bags on my belt at the back, LH one with CB, GPS, gold cannister and small water bottle. RH one 2 plastic shoves and rubbish.

Came across an diggings area in Vic GT, with lots of leads shot all different sizes... Ah must still be gold here. That day digging up lead shot 3 or 4 to a heap and putting in loose in RH rubbish bag. Next day out traveled over some of the previous days heaps to get where I left off to find shot that I had missed??? that lunch time checked the lead shot in the rubbish bag no where the quantity I though should be there.......

The Reason, the New ML Rubbish Bags ( or at least the bags that I had) on the RHS had stitching only down to 10mm from the bottom of the bag. Maybe ML decided if you detect in the rain the bottom openings will allow the rain water to seep out.

Now the New rubbish bag is used to hold the CB/GPS etc.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293291003126?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=293291003126&targetid=1137570801346&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9070922&poi=&campaignid=12499394789&mkgroupid=118688270293&rlsatarget=pla-1137570801346&abcId=9300512&merchantid=7613492&gclid=CjwKCAjwj6SEBhAOEiwAvFRuKB6yBUceiKKEA7g0As_Crtr1-E85ojtjthI5YT0TDGkR13DRgsmkMRoCjeQQAvD_BwE

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:57 pm

Saturday of ANZAC weekend I headed to a local Queenstown spot with the GPZ 7000 & the 15" concentric X coil. It was pretty hard going on the gold front but I eventually got a signal that lived on down into the bedrock schist past the shot gun pellets.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210467

Smashing & peeling the schist out.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210470

I knew it was going to be a bit of gold. All .05 of a gram  Rolling Eyes

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210469

Then on ANZAC day itself Simon & I went further afield & ended up at the spot he mentioned above where he got his 4 pieces of gold.

He got his first piece in no time while I was getting my share of bloody shot gun pellets & two deep signals that had me going. But they turned out to be two deeply buried .22 lead bullet heads.  V41 It would have been well over an hour & the day had started off pretty chilly but after digging those two deep bits of lead I soon warmed up. So took off a couple of layers & headed up to put them in my back pack. I saw Simon digging away & went over to see him. He was down quite deep & into the schist bedrock smashing & peeling it out. The signal was still in there & just had to be gold. I got a pic of him slaving away at his dig.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210471

Turned out to be his biggest bit of the day. Just over 1 gram.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210472
I still don't think I had found anything at that stage. But my luck soon changed. I walked back down to my detector & decided I would work my way down a fence line towards the old turned over gully. I then noticed what looked like un-natural ground to me & may have been old timer activity.
Ended up getting heaps of shot gun pellets & .22 shells & there lead bullet heads as well courtesy of bloody rabbit shooters. They are part & parcel of this game, unfortunately & can make it real 5hit.

Then I got my first signal that got to below the shot gun pellet layer.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210473

Was a bit of gold, finally  V43

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210475

Before back filling the hole I re checked it & got another signal in the side wall.

Another piece of gold. So two from the one dig.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210476

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210477

I then looked up & took a photo of Simon off in the distance. Top left of center. You may be able to make out his white shirt. To the right the fence line I was working down.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210496

I ended up getting 9 pieces from this small area one after the other as I worked my way down along side a fence line.

This was my biggest bit of the day & right beside the fence line.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210478

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210481

Not too shabby

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210479

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210480

2.33 grams

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210482

Then this little 'patch' area dried up on me so I headed down into the turned over gully to where the old timers had exposed a bit of bedrock. Got a tiddler at .05 of a gram. Admittedly it wasn’t deep at about 1 inch through a white clay to the bedrock

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210483

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210484

But that is Gold Monster size gold & for a coil of that size it just blows me away.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210485

Just before I called it quits I was detecting the edges of exposed schist bedrock where the bedrock dropped into deeper ground. Hoping to find something that edge of bedrock had halted its progress. I got a faint but definite signal. Dug down on it & it lived past the shot gun pellet horizon & into tight packed gravels.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210486

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210487

My 2nd biggest bit for the day

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210488

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210489

12 pieces total for the day

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210490

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210491

We went back yesterday hoping for great things but I only managed two small ones after the good run on Sunday.

.10 of a gram

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210492

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210493

And .15 of a gram

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210494

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210495

Unfortunately Simon got a skunk.

Cheers & Good luck out there

JW Q39
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk, joe82, stevevic and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:22 am

bfloyd4445 wrote:
Chuckle....from reading posts here it seems like NZ and Australia are made of gold with a little dirt and rock thrown in to cover it up. You guys make it appear that gold is easier to find than a cold pint. Very Happy ....

Thanks for dropping in & for your comment, but no....we work hard for what we get. We pass several pubs on our way to this area. We are heading back to that general location again tomorrow. Will most likely take the E-bikes (mountain bikes) so we can go further quicker & most certainly much quicker coming back, down hill. lol!

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210321

Simon.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20190114

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20191211

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20191010

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20181010

3.5 hours up, my wife was with me, 20 minutes back down

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20180910

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20180911

Cheers

JW Q39
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk, bfloyd4445, PeterInSa, phrunt, stevevic and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  bfloyd4445 Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:21 am

[quote="kiwijw"]
bfloyd4445 wrote:

Thanks for dropping in & for your comment, but no....we work hard for what we get. We pass several pubs on our way to this area. We are heading back to that general location again tomorrow. Will most likely take the E-bikes (mountain bikes) so we can go further quicker & most certainly much quicker coming back, down hill. lol!

I would feel at home in country like in your photos. Thanks for posting. I know how hard it is to find a tiny speck I have been doing it for around 55 years mostly in the mother load country of central California. chuckle.....
Love your bike would be nice to have climbing up hill untill the bat dies. .....
bfloyd4445
bfloyd4445
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2015-05-17

kiwijw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:24 am

fantasic views,I'm glad you have ebikes otherwise it would be hellish ride up.
It might be nearly worthwhile camping there for the night??
Thanks for sharing,great post & good luck cheers

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

kiwijw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:25 pm

Hi there bfloyd, The bike has different battery settings. The higher you set it the easier it is to peddle but you consume more battery power so will flatten the battery quicker. If you set it mid range or lower for the easier gradients & use the gears appropriately the battery will last a lot longer. It does have an accelerator 'throttle' where you don't need to pedal but that is very hungry on the battery if you abuse it. In general use you still need to pedal but you are greatly assisted by the motor. More so if you use the higher assist setting. It shows what your battery charge is so you know when it is getting low. The good thing is you don't need the battery for coming down hill.
I actually did the E Bike conversion myself on my Giant Trance 3 mountain bike. You can get the kits.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20180610

The bike before the conversion. I up spec'd the disc brakes to larger size calipers & size of the discs.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20180611

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20180710

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20180711

The only bummer was the battery wouldn't fit inside the frame due to the back wheel shock. So need to be careful when going downhill & using the front brakes. The front shocks tend to close up absorbing the momentum of the frame dropping down under braking & the front wheel can hit the battery. That could be disastrous if turning at the same time this happens. I usually lock the front shocks in this situation so they don't absorb impact or I avoid braking heavily.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20180712

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20180713

I did the same to my wife's bike as well. Which is the one Simon was using in the above pic.

Thanks Moredeep. The bikes do make it a lot easier & quicker to go greater distances than you could if you walked. Certainly much quicker on the way back down with virtually no peddling. When I have walked into these type areas I have camped over night in some of the rock overhang/cave dwellings that there are quite a few in these hills.

Here is one of them

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 01910

Inside

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 01810

You will notice how much the stone wall has dropped away from the rock overhang ceiling.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 01210

Another one. This was back in my GP 3000 days. 11 years ago. Gosh, where did those years go?

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_0510

Simon & I are heading into this area tomorrow with our 15" concentric coils.

Cheers

Good luck out there

JW  Q39

Last edited by kiwijw on Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

joe82, bowenboi, moredeep, phrunt and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:39 pm

It's the Ritz m8 and it"s free cheers

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

kiwijw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Mon May 03, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi guys, Simon & I head out again on both days this weekend. Sunday we E-Biked to a few spots. I didn't take my phone with me so sorry, but no pics to share. Simon may have some, I left my phone at home on the charger as I did my WM12. So had to plug my B&Z booster directly into the back of the detector. It worked fine though & I didn't find being tethered to it was much drama, once I worked out that I couldn't walk very far away from my detector. I tried a few times  lol!  

We both hit old worked gullies that were very hard to get gold off on previous attempts but we thought it worth giving the 15" concentrics a go. I targeted areas I had found gold before & the deeper ground on the edges. I ended up with 7 small bits on sunday & just two on the Saturday. Total of 9 for just over 1 gram. Smallest was .06 of a gram & the biggest .34

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds 20210510

It is the depth I got them at that is blowing me away with this 15" coil. All my previous PI's & coil combination, including the Zed with 14" ML coil didn't see any of these small pieces.

So loving this coil.

Cheers

Best of luck out there

JW  Q39
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep, phrunt and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm

I got to give you guys credit for your perseverance, stamina & endurance, chasing gold through such terrain.  
Top going, well done to you gents. cheers

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

kiwijw, moredeep, phrunt and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Mon May 03, 2021 6:19 pm

It's quite the mission to get up to this area, all uphill and a long walk, fortunately we took JW's E-bikes which made it a lot easier.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2093

Yup, it was a bit of fun and I found one of my two bits of gold I know for a fact I'd covered before and very thoroughly using my GPX 4500 and Nugget Finder EVO coil.  JW had obviously been over the same pile before with whatever combination of detectors he'd used in the past here too and on that day he was using his GPZ and 14x13" stock coil.    The thing that surprised me was the fresh dig holes all through the area, someone else had been here and very recently.  This is rather odd, we don't often bump into other gold detector users however this exact same gully we bumped into a guy with a GPZ and his mate with a Gold Bug 2 some time ago, and then later in the same day we bumped into a guy with a GPX 4500 and Coiltek Elite.  This is just odd, other than those guys all in one day I've only ever bumped into one other guy and it was a new guy to detecting with a Nokta Gold Kruzer in the same area.

I know exactly what their fresh dig holes were, shotgun pellets, they were everywhere!  Only one dig hole I found was substantial, the rest were more VLF type digs, or pellet scrapes.  

Anyway, my photos from the mission.

This was my first nugget, and it was on a old timer throw out pile in the gully that I know I've detected before, I detected the nugget through a flat piece of schist on top of the pile, after moving the schist the signal improved a bit more so I dug down and out it came.  .2 of a gram.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2086
15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2085
15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2084
15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2087

Things dried up then for a long time, I was just scraping pellets around all over the place so I moved out of the worked gully.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2088
15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2089

The terrain wasn't ideal for the 15" coil with the long grass and sage brush everywhere, but I'd forgotten to bring my 8" X-coil.  I intended to bring it but didn't.

I found a bit of bedrock coming out of the ground nearby the bottom of the gully, it had a signal coming out of it, I carefully scraped all the lichen and moss off the top of the corner of it that was giving the signal thinking it's likely a pellet, after cleaning it all off the signal was still there, I broke a few layers of schist off and the signal was still there, very likely to be gold now so I took more layers off and the target fell onto the nearby soil with the broken schist.  Recovered it and it was indeed a bit of gold.  My last piece for the day.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2092
15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2091
15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2090

So that was it for me, I was extremely happy to get anything here, a bit of fun.

15 Inch Concentric X coil Finds Img_2094

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

kiwijw, moredeep, PeterInSa and mn90403 like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next