Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX5000 faulty receiver

5 posters

Go down

GPX5000 faulty receiver  Empty GPX5000 faulty receiver

Post  mlee76 Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:07 am

Thought I might post this up as it may be helpful to others. My gpx5000 was becoming very noisy at certain times of the day. I put it down to EMI. Over the past few years it got worse and I noticed it started up differently. It would scream a bit more than normal, go quiet, warble a bit then settle down. Eventually it just went full on noisy. I put the commander dd on it and it was fine. Couldn't run a mono at all. So I sent it off to the minelab repair in Brisbane and he found the FETs in the mono voil receiver were faulty. Now my detector is quieter than it has ever been. This fault appears to have been manifesting itself for quite a few years in my opinion.
mlee76
mlee76
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-08-07

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 faulty receiver  Empty Re: GPX5000 faulty receiver

Post  deutran Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:21 am

Thanks for posting this info Mlee76,may be helpful if anyone has encountered this problem.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:05 pm

A few years ago I had a similar problem with the 5000, turned on detector this time and no matter what settings it was on,could not get rid of loud noise. Was sent back to Minelab and also replaced some transistors, was good as gold after that (excuse the pun) .

I used to leave the 5000 in shed in hot or cold weather, but stopped doing it after 2times in the gold field, as the screen used to fog up for a while , but don't know if it was caused through the cold weather or not

Last edited by hapalogh on Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Still cant make a proper sentence Got it right the second time)

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:12 pm

It wouldn't surprise me, being & involving intricate electronic hardware/software, that these issues exist across the board/range of Minelab PI's from time to time. This is why it should be a requirement/standard, that every now & then, sending ones detector off in for a factory service/calibration, just to make sure all things inside the box, are functioning to their peak potential. (less any electronic part that burns out before its time, causing an immediate shutdown or fault with ones detector).
Interesting & thanks for bringing such discussion of awareness up Mlee76.
Most likely the cause of condensation hapalogh

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4547
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mlee76 Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:55 am

The problem I would of had if I actually knew my detector was going faulty was that initially it was intermittent. Had I suspected it was faulty and sent it fir for repair it most likely would have behaved itself on the test bench causing the age old problem for the tech of no problem found. So in the end I was kind of glad it went full noise faulty. I must add the agent and tech in Brisbane were extremely helpful and not overly expensive. I know this next statement may be a little controversial but I'm also glad my detector was stock standard. I'm not a believer in modifying detector circuits due to the issues that may arise if you need a minelab agent to service it.
mlee76
mlee76
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:12 am

Mlee,
Interested in where you sent your detector for repair in Brisbane.
When mine failed while at Tibooburra last trip with a similar issue as yours, I was asked to send it to the repair center in Adelaide. They provided a cost effective and fast repair service but would prefer to use a Brisbane based service if it was available.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  mlee76 Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:33 am

Hi bictor,
It was serviced by Ray at miners den brisbane. But just did a quick search to find they are now closed down.
mlee76
mlee76
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:25 am

MLee,
Thanks, knew Ray and Cory quite well before https://www.gold-diggers.com.au/ bought the business out.
Not sure where Ray ended up. Cory was taken on to works at Gold-diggers as part of the business and still has contact with Ray.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down