Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TIBOOBURRA

+2
Kon61gold
granite2
6 posters

Go down

TIBOOBURRA Empty TIBOOBURRA

Post  granite2 Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:08 pm

We are at Tibooburra at the moment waiting in vain for the Qld border to open. It seems the story changes every day, maybe the 10th of July, maybe not until the virus has been wiped out, maybe sooner, who knows with that premier.

While waiting we have been doing a bit of detecting and finding some very small gold 70 bits so far. The caravan park is pretty well full every night with many being prospectors, some being a bit disappointed with their finds, but everyone enjoying the great warm weather. As do the flies. Millions of the little beasties. A fly net is a must.

THE COMMON
At the moment the Common is closed and doesn't look like opening for at least a month. The Common Committee consists of 7 people. They voted 4 to three to close the common because of fears of the covid19. Maybe we can catch it off the flamin' goats.

The problem is that the Family Hotel has 4 people on the committee and they all voted to close the common. As a result all prospectors have voted with their feet and have sworn not to patronise the hotel for anything.

Mount Stuart is open to prospecting for a fee of $15.00 a detector operator per day and an extra $5 a night per caravan. And the owner patrols every day to make sure you have paid up. Payment is at the Roadhouse.

Gumvale Station is Open for the same amount in fees.

Warrie Gate 50km north of here is the Qld border. Every second day the local copper has to go up and replace the lock or chain because people have simply cut their way through to Qld. One truckie didn't bother, he simply drove his rig over the gate. Some people are getting desperate.

We leave Tibooburra on Monday and will wander east while hoping for some common sense from a person who seems intent on turning the holiday state into the dead broke state. Most tourism industry outside Brisvegas has collapsed with the Whitsundays hit the hardest. Tour boats are being repossessed every day as the owners cannot even make enough money to pay for fuel and other costs let alone bank repayment.

We continue to loiter in the warmer weather of northern NSW with diminishing hopes of seeing our families this year.

granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

TIBOOBURRA Empty Re: TIBOOBURRA

Post  Kon61gold Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Both sad news & not looking good at all Jim. The government themselves don't know whats going to happen, from one day to the next. Here in Vic there has been a rise of COVID-19 cases testing positive, once again throwing government & the medical profession into panic mode. Government figures clearly show, Australia is heading into a major recession.

Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Just to keep us confused, the Western land council overturned the common committed decision and the common is now open again for a ten dollar a month fee. Common sense has prevailed
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:38 am

That is good news, the wife and I were up there last week for a week. In our 7 days I got 5.25 grams and she got 7 and a half. So even though it is very tough these days there still is a bit there. I must say it is nice up there.
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:08 am

Sparrowfart wrote:That is good news, the wife and I were up there last week for a week. In our 7 days I got 5.25 grams and she got 7 and a half. So even though it is very tough these days there still is a bit there. I must say it is nice up there.

Which detectors were you using?
Interested in the coils being used if not an SDC
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Sparowfart, you did well to get that much gold. We are here more for the weather than the gold. We spend only about 2 hours in the morning and one in the afternoon. We also only work about every second day. We've got lazier as we've got older. So far for the week we have 97 bits for a staggering 5.4 grams. But the weather is fantastic as usual up here. Blue skies with a nice breeze but the flies are loving too.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi bicter, we were both using sdc's just the 8" coils. I suppose we have been going there for about 8 or 9 years now, mostly since the sdc came out so I have a lot of patches where I know there's gold. We look for new patches of course but also re-hammar our old ones which is where we mostly find it.
Hi Jim, sounds like you are doing pretty good considering. I will no doubt be back there again as soon as I can organize it. I think I must miss the flies when I get home or something. Cool
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:07 am

Thanks Sparrrow, we'll be there in early August hopefully. Dependent on border opening up before then.

Coming from QLD, I was considering heading across from Wanaaring rather than from Nockatunga but unsure of the track condition. Have you or Jim heard any condition reports about the cut line across from Wanaaring?

Driving a Prado with lightweight camper trailer so ground clearance isn't a big issue
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 am

Hi bicter, I don't have any data on the Wanaaring rd, sorry. There may be some recent data elsewhere on this site.
Have a good trip, hope you find something.
Sparrowfart.
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:09 pm

As of three days ago I heard the waarnaring road was pretty good at each end but a bit rough in the middle with the road bed material showing through in places.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

bicter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Hang in there Dave/Veronica, A clunker may be under the next bush. Q21 Detecting Holy Moly Camera
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am

davsgold wrote:The gold is still small Laughing  and not that plentiful, but the weather is fairly good so that is a bonus. Very Happy

Four half days detecting, (the gold rush is over) 30 micro nuggets for 3 grams Laughing  so you get the general idea  Laughing

cheers dave

Not a lot has changed then Laughing

What areas have all you vacuumers flogged, so I can avoid them?
Are Gumvale/Mt Stuart getting much traffic?
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:56 pm

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

TIBOOBURRA Empty Tibooburra trip

Post  blackbird Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:55 am

June 1st. Travel restrictions lifted in NSW. My wife had been home for 3 months so I said let’s do the trip to Tibooburra we had thought about for some time. I had previously contacted Mavis at the roadhouse who had sent a copy of Jim Fosters book. We arrived on June 3rd after overnight stays at Dareton and Packsaddles. We set up camp 4kms east of town near NuggetyGully. 3 days of total silence except for the flies and beautiful days and freezing nights. 2 small nuggets 10mtrs from camp total tally 0.5grms 20minutes after setting up camp was all we got. Beautiful scenery and roads in top condition all the way there (5kms of dirt) thoroughly enjoyable week. Nuggets were 0.37 and 0.13 using Whites GMT.
Cheers blackbird

blackbird
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-04-10

AnnieL and PeterInSa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:53 pm

sunny

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm

cheers

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:36 pm

Great photos Dave/Veronica,
The huge gum reminds me of Marshall Pool minus the water.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:28 pm

Christ I miss those flies! Very Happy
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:39 am

Thanks all for the feedback on current conditions art Tibooburra. One question I'd love to know the answer to, is whether or not the Warri gate will be opened post 12 July or whether we need to take the long way around, crossing the border at Goondiwindi?
If anybody has been chatting to the local constabulary, I'd love to know the answer. (and I'm guessing the answer will be that it'll remain locked)

Thanks in advance.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum