Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If You have this Book..Hang On To It!!

+4
Axtyr
Kon61gold
Minermike
Sharkbait
8 posters

Go down

If You have this Book..Hang On To It!! Empty If You have this Book..Hang On To It!!

Post  Sharkbait Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:43 pm

James Flett's "History of Gold Discovery in Victoria" becoming a bit of a rare item T10

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=flett%20james&tn=history%20gold%20discovery%20victoria&cm_sp=mbc-_-ats-_-all
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

If You have this Book..Hang On To It!! Empty Re: If You have this Book..Hang On To It!!

Post  Minermike Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Try Cyaniding For Gold by Ian Idress . I have read the book , got it from the library , they had to get it from Wollongong . Must be under lock and key now , unless stolen ... $1,000 a copy ....
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

If You have this Book..Hang On To It!! Empty Re: If You have this Book..Hang On To It!!

Post  Kon61gold Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:27 pm

So are some prospecting for gold books by R.Brough Smyth, Ion Idriess, De-Havilland etc,etc, but, they're only good for bringing one on, or directing one to, a known goldfield. What they fail to mention is the 5/6 generations of prospectors, who over the last 160 or so years, have (through certain methods of gold recovery/extraction), managed to change the surrounding landscape. Shocked Q35  
Still, its good to know we'll be somewhat heading in the right direction. Shocked  Q35

Cheers Kon. santa T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4504
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:37 pm

Cyaniding for gold was a great book in the 1930's ? for miners wanting to treat old tailngs dumps to make a living . That it why it is hard to find that book now .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Yep, got that book, as well as R. Brough Smythe's; "Goldefields and Mineral Districts of Victoria". The Brough Smythe's book is interesting except that it only has records up until 1868. It has an addition included on the latest discovery of the "Welcome Stranger" nugget. Very interesting maps of the early goldfields of Ballarat.

With the finding of that particular nugget it states that the new goldfield where it came from, should yield many more nuggets of similar size in the near future.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:03 pm

I have Goldfields Reminiscences Castlemaines Golden Era . 1977 It is amazing the amount of gold the old timers got .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Not so much a book to hang onto, but Gold in the Blood...James Doughty is a very interesting story of a young Pommy coming to Australia to seek his fortune.
The photo's in the book, especially of early Wiluna, Nullagine, his family "bough shed" home there, his Tin Lizzie dry blower etc. are great insights to the early days in the WA gold fields.
Second thoughts......I am hanging on to my copy Laughing
mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:16 pm

Picked this one up at a garage sale years ago and after extensive searching could not find a value.
It is a first edition well used but intact.
Maybe one of the book gurus here may be able some info on rarity and value?

Western Australia Geological Survey of Western Australia - 1903 Bulletin No.11 - 19

If You have this Book..Hang On To It!! Geolog10

If You have this Book..Hang On To It!! Geolog11

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  rockhunter62 Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Hi Peter,

I like that page, I'll be going to see a mate on the weekend over in Waikiki.

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
rockhunter62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:48 pm

boobook wrote:Not so much a book to hang onto, but Gold in the Blood...James Doughty is a very interesting story of a young Pommy coming to Australia to seek his fortune.
The photo's in the book, especially of early Wiluna, Nullagine, his family "bough shed" home there, his Tin Lizzie dry blower etc. are great insights to the early days in the WA gold fields.
Second thoughts......I am hanging on to my copy Laughing
mike

I agree boobook. I had that book but it has disappeared somewhere during our travels.

I found an 80 nug where the photo was taken of him testing his dry blower.
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down