Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UHF or Satphone for the lone Far North QLD Prospector?

5 posters

Go down

UHF or Satphone for the lone Far North QLD Prospector? Empty UHF or Satphone for the lone Far North QLD Prospector?

Post  avon g Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Hey guys,

I'm heading up from Vic for a scratch around the Georgetown/Forsayth area. I've never been before but will be running solo in the 4be - plan on keeping to the main stations and will try not to stray too far.

Should i be taking a UHF or Sat phone of sorts? I thought i could rent one from Cairns for the week, but not sure what to take. Am thinking the Sat phone may be overkill but don't know enough about what UHF would be suitable.

Any help will be appreciated! I'll also happily accept any other pointers, no matter how big or small. eg. mosquito net country? king

Cheers

avon g
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Back to top Go down

UHF or Satphone for the lone Far North QLD Prospector? Empty Re: UHF or Satphone for the lone Far North QLD Prospector?

Post  Nightjar Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Avon G,
A UHF radio is handy for close range communication , a HF radio for long range is more expensive but in the event of an emergency they are priceless.
Satphone is today's choice of communication, am not familiar with hire costs/
An invaluable safety item is a PLB or even better an EPIRB, we went for HF radio then later the EPIRB this device can be registered for both marine and land use and location accuracy is within 50 metres.
Your personal safety is paramount.
If you venture West a fly net is essential this year, worst year ever.

Good luck out there.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

UHF or Satphone for the lone Far North QLD Prospector? Empty Re: UHF or Satphone for the lone Far North QLD Prospector?

Post  pablop Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:46 pm

avon g wrote:Hey guys,

I'm heading up from Vic for a scratch around the Georgetown/Forsayth area.  I've never been before but will be running solo in the 4be - plan on keeping to the main stations and will try not to stray too far.

Should i be taking a UHF or Sat phone of sorts?  I thought i could rent one from Cairns for the week, but not sure what to take.  Am thinking the Sat phone may be overkill but don't know enough about what UHF would be suitable.

Any help will be appreciated!  I'll also happily accept any other pointers, no matter how big or small. eg. mosquito net country?   king

Cheers

Actually Telstra mobile service work quite well in Georgetown, but if out of town a fair way then would need to get a bit of height to work.  I think that it was also working in Forsayth, but I don't recall actually using phone there as I was usually just passing through.  No good at Einasleigh if you are going that way.  Also patchy at Undara but does work up the hill a bit.  I have spent many weeks in the area over several years and never considered the need to go for anything other than my Telstra mobile and UHF radio for local comms to others I was working with.  I did have 'net access via wifi to a landline service when I was at Enasleigh and could also use that for mobile comms via "wifi calling" feature on the mobile.

First trip there I did have a Sat phone, but didn't both to activate it on subsequent trips.

It all depends on how important it is for you to always be able to communicate with others.

Last edited by pablop on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  avon g Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:03 am

Thanks guys - great info.

I'm sorry about the fly season you're having Nightjar. I was out West a few years back and thought it was bad then even though the locals told me it was good!

I checked the Telstra coverage map and yup, it seems as though Georgetown and Forsayth are pretty well covered Pablop. I'm on Optus so will grab a Wollies (Telstra) Sim for the week as well as a satphone for 100 or so bucks just in case i need help dragging me (or the 4be) out of the bush. I think its worth it even for the peace of mind so thanks again, greatly appreciated!

Now all i have to do is figure out where to have my first swing... scratch Can't wait! cheers

avon g
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:59 pm

mate, the woolies sim wont work out that way. you need to have the full telstra coverage. unless its changed over the last coupla years.

Just checked and coverage hasnt changed. there is no woolworths coverage, or aldi or belong etc out there, only Telstra or possibly boost
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  avon g Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:35 am

Oh crap i thought it was all the same deal?!

Thanks so much Bicter, you just saved me from a potential tantrum in the main street!

avon g
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:47 am

G'day Glenn,
Great to see you posting again mate. Hope everything goes smoothly on your big trip up north T15  

Stay safe bud,and bring home the gold T06 and post some pics up if you get a chance

All the best

Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down