Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

messing with the SDC 2300 coil.

+3
deutran
Travelergold
Sparrowfart
7 posters

Go down

messing with the SDC 2300 coil. Empty messing with the SDC 2300 coil.

Post  Sparrowfart Thu May 02, 2019 6:42 am

HI guys, I have worn out the nuckle on my 2300 and as a new one is almost $700- ( it comes with a free coil) I thought of an alternative. Might it be posslble to take the windings out of my 2300 coil and put them into the case of an eight inch commander coil I no longer use? This could be an improvement on the original, maybe. With the new shaft mod. that Coiltek have for their new coils it will fit the 2300. I have the shaft mod. If it is feasable I wouldn't mind giving it a go. albino
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

messing with the SDC 2300 coil. Empty Re: messing with the SDC 2300 coil.

Post  Guest Thu May 02, 2019 7:54 am

There is a guy making an sdaptor to go on the top of the 8" SDC2300 coil so you can swap coils easily back and forth between the new aftermarket ones and back to the original 8" blue one with out having to rethread the curly cable back up the shaft.

This could be used for when the knuckle on the original 8" coils is stuffed instead of paying $700 Shocked for a new knuckle

messing with the SDC 2300 coil. 2300_c10

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Thu May 02, 2019 9:10 am

We had a problem with knuckle wearing out and machine was out of warranty. We took it into miners den in adelaide and they replaced it for free. May be you should ask your dealer and they might help you our or contact minelab re replacement under some sort of warranty.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 am

Sparrowfart wrote:HI guys, I have worn out the nuckle on my 2300 and as a new one is almost $700- ( it comes with a free coil) I thought of an alternative. Might it be posslble to take the windings out of my 2300 coil and put them into the case of an eight inch commander coil I no longer use? This could be an improvement on the original, maybe. With the new shaft mod. that  Coiltek have for their new coils it will fit the 2300. I have the shaft mod. If it is feasable I wouldn't mind giving it a go. albino  

Hi Sparrowfart
I have been repairing 8" mono commanders for a while as they take a fair bit of punishment and aren't that cheap to replace.I actually thought of your idea when I had the 2300 and would have done it as my knuckle was also getting sloppy.It requires only swapping the entire former but the hurdle is the cable position requires relocation and this may require the shield wire to be re-routed,not really an issue just fiddley.
The housing on the 8 commanders is not very rigid especially old ones and can be an issue when they de-form in use giving random signals.Once they are worn too much there not usable anymore.Also I glue them with MEK clear PVC pipe plumbers glue to strengthen the housing.The coil former should not be a tight fit either so when the housing flexes it doesn't distort the coil or shielding.
I guess you can give it a go and see what happens,good luck.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Thu May 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi, some good ideas there, thanks for the replies, I have already had one coil on warranty and doubt I'd get another for free. But it is a good idea. I see how the plastic dohicky would work, an interesting idea. Building one out of two was what I had in mind. I will probably do that. I may get someome with a bit more ability in this area to have a go at it for me. It will have to wait till I get back from Tibooburra in a couple of weeks as I will need it up there. If you think it is something that might interest you Deutran let me know and we'll sort something out on it. But as I said I will be going up to Tib for a week next friday so would have to be after that.
Sparrowfart.
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:01 pm

davsgold wrote:There is a guy making an sdaptor to go on the top of the 8" SDC2300 coil so you can swap coils easily back and forth between the new aftermarket ones and back to the original 8" blue one with out having to rethread the curly cable back up the shaft.

This could be used for when the knuckle on the original 8" coils is stuffed instead of paying $700 Shocked for a new knuckle

messing with the SDC 2300 coil. 2300_c10

cheers dave

G'day Dave,i know this is an old post,but I was wondering if the guy that makes these adaptors for the SDC is selling them commercially?
I have a Coiltek aftermarket coil,and re-connecting the standard coil is becoming a pain in the butt Shocked
Any info appreciated  T25  

Cheers....Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:53 pm

I have sent the guy a message to find out if he is still making them. I will let you know.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks Dave,much appreciated cheers
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:18 pm

Hey Sharkbait, the best I can do is the guy is on facebook SDC2300 Group, his name is David Manganelli and he posted stuff about making the part back in mid April, he says PM him.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=david%20manganelli&epa=SEARCH_BOX
scroll down the page a bit and you will see the part in a picture of his

Hope this helps you some.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 am

Sharkbait, look atthe skid plates that I have been making, they cover most of the knuckle. The only issue is the skid plate needs to be removed to totally fold up machine. If you leave shaft in normal use configuration then you dont need to remove.

Heading is called 'home made skid plates - easy'

I will have to see if i can make a moulded knuckle only cover that just snaps on.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:31 am

davsgold wrote:Hey Sharkbait, the best I can do is the guy is on facebook SDC2300 Group,  his name is David Manganelli and he posted stuff about making the part back in mid April, he says PM him.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=david%20manganelli&epa=SEARCH_BOX
scroll down the page a bit and you will see the part in a picture of his

Hope this helps you some.

cheers dave  

Many thanks Dave,unfortunately i'm not on Facebook,and the link won't let me open the post Rolling Eyes
But my sister might be able to help me out as she spends a lot of time on Facebook,so i'll get her to try for me,fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your help,mate

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 am

Travelergold wrote:Sharkbait, look atthe skid plates that I have been making, they cover most of the knuckle. The only issue is the skid plate needs to be removed to totally fold up machine. If you leave shaft in normal use configuration then you dont need to remove.

Heading is called 'home made skid plates - easy'

I will have to see if i can make a moulded knuckle only cover that just snaps on.

Traverlergold,thanks for your post mate,but it's not the knuckle i'm after..i have a knuckle protector on my standard coil,and it's doing it's job so far cheers

The adaptor in Davsgold's post is a quick change solution for swapping back and forth from the standard coil to the aftermarket Coiltek Gold Extreme coil,without the hassle of shoving the coil cable back inside the shaft.

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Is there enough improvement in the performance of the 2300 to justify the messing about with the coils?
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:24 pm

adrian ss wrote:Is there enough improvement in the performance of the 2300 to justify the messing about with the coils?

G'day Adrian,i suppose we're like fishermen always looking for that magic lure that's gonna land a big one,we tend to "collect" coils,always wondering if we can justify spending the money Rolling Eyes
For me,i was a bit sceptical at first,but I think the benefit just outweighs the hassle,as far as swapping the coils over. I do find that the bigger coil is just as sensitive as the std. one,and if you check out my post in the Finds section,titled "Small win with the SDC" I was able to snare a bit that was roughly 4 inches down,that was away from the usual mullock heap bits that the SDC excels at getting.

I'm still not sure how deep these Gold Extreme coils will punch,but i'll persist with it for a while longer in the hope I walk over something worth crowing about  Razz
I would just like an easier solution than the little "dunny chain" idea for swapping back to the standard coil V41
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:44 pm

That does seem a bit tedious to reassemble back to the standard coil Suspect

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Pebbles Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:47 am

Maybe I am missing something here, but if the bigger Gold Extreme coil is just as sensitive as the standard coil, why would you want to change back?

I have used the 2300 almost since it was first released and have done quite well with it. The standard machine does exactly what it was designed for, and does it extremely well. Many times I have been surprised at the depth of some nuggets.

When the release of the Coiltek Gold Extreme coils was first announced, I was red hot to snap one up, but decided to hold off until I read some reports on the forums.
I am glad now that I did because, quite frankly, there has been a dearth of reports on their performance!

I would put them in the same basket as the 19’’ coil for the GPZ 7000.

Col

Pebbles
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 am

Question: All detectors through the ages were usually transported "ready to go" ie: Not broken down.
Along came the fold up 2300, a compact unit that will fit in your suitcase.
In reality how many do fold up their 2300 at the end of the day only because you can, not because you need too, to fit it in your vehicle?

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:42 am

I folded it up because where I went with it was walk in only so I carried it in a back pack. Much easier than dragging it through thick scrub.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:42 am

Nightjar, our machines have never been folded up since there first use. And they are long out of warranty

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Pebbles wrote:Maybe I am missing something here, but if the bigger Gold Extreme coil is just as sensitive as the standard coil, why would you want to change back?

I have used the 2300 almost since it was first released and have done quite well with it.  The standard machine does exactly what it was designed for, and does it extremely well.  Many times I have been surprised at the depth of some nuggets.

When the release of the Coiltek Gold Extreme coils was first announced, I was red hot to snap one up, but decided to hold off until I read some reports on the forums.
I am glad now that I did because, quite frankly, there has been a dearth of reports on their performance!

I would put them in the same basket as the 19’’ coil for the GPZ 7000.

Col

Col,you make a good point. I only need to swap back to the std. coil if I visit my sister in Bendigo..she is keen to come out detecting with me,so I lend it to her while I use my 4500
She thinks the SDC is too heavy with the 14 x 9 coil on,so I swap to the lighter std. coil..I told her to buy a bungee,but so far no go Shocked Laughing

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Pebbles Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Fair enough, Sharkbait, I can relate to that.

I find that the 2300 is a heavy little machine as it is and I have always used mine with a hipstick and bungee.

Col

Pebbles
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Back to top Go down