Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headphones or external speakers

4 posters

Go down

Headphones or external speakers Empty Headphones or external speakers

Post  swagman Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Howdy all the question has probably been raised before but considering the pace of technological advancement it probably doesnt hurt to see what others think its a bit like how long is a piece of string in the end it comes down to personal preference but considering my heads ability to sweat profusely i am considering a B&Z setup with dual speakers probably for the warmer weather and maybe try to tolerate headphones in the colder months after 6 yrs of procrastination and reading on the subject i finally have my detector and from what i have read the headphones that come with the detector are probably useful for listening to your favourite cd so your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated on the B&Z setup and headphone choices.
Cheers
Swagman
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Headphones or external speakers Empty Re: Headphones or external speakers

Post  Nightjar Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm

G'day Swagman,
Did years of scuba diving and resultant "divers ear" from time to time played havoc in the early days of detecting with headphones. Had to mop my ears out regularly, sound like you have similar problems?
Along came boosters and external speakers and eventually and too this day we use the B&Z and twin speakers mounted on shoulders of harness.
We can wear necessary wide brimmed hats (although they do have them for headphones)
This season we are going to try using the GPX4500 harness which already has the B&Z/speakers set up with our SDC2300.
Time will tell.
BTW, the Koss headphones that came with our 4500's were never ever used and were eventually sold off for a coldie or three.
It is obviously user choice so take your time choosing.
Good luck!

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  swagman Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Cheers Nightjar seems like we have similar ear problems but from different causes most likely it was almost an annual event getting my ears syringed probably why I have constant ringing in my ears from my dislike of earmuffs especially in summer thanks for your speedy reply Nightjar
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 pm

I too have a few hearing problems after too many bullets and bombs.
I use a B&Z twin speaker set up as well on a Double D harness and it works well.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  swagman Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks Redfin just wondering about the double D does the hip stick work with it also is there enough room for a couple of army style canteens.
Cheers
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:21 pm

G'day Swagman,it's a case of trying to cover all the bases as far as your audio setup..When it's a still day with no wind noise,i use a B&Z booster and speaker,but when the wind starts to pick up i'll switch over to headphones to be able to hear the faint signals.

I use a 4500 and a SDC2300,and when i'm using the 45 i'll plug the phones into the battery,but when I use the SDC,i use the Deteknix wireless setup that I bought from Nenad at Phase Technical. I've put the links to the headphones I use,as well as the wireless setup below Very Happy

Good luck out there

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/sony/sony-as410ap-sport-in-ear-headphones-black/317215/

http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-mate-kit/
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  swagman Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm

G’day Sharkbait we must be tuned in to the same channel as that’s what I was thinking headphones on windy days, this maybe a silly question but is it plausible to plug your headphones into the B&Z to gain a bit more I am aware that the 4500 has a built in amp but just wondering.
Cheers
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 pm

swagman wrote:G’day Sharkbait we must be tuned in to the same channel as that’s what I was thinking headphones on windy days, this maybe a silly question but is it plausible to plug your headphones into the B&Z to gain a bit more I am aware that the 4500 has a built in amp but just wondering.
Cheers

Not a silly question at all mate..I thought the same thing when I first got the booster,but they're not a good combo for some reason,i found that you get a kind of feedback buzzing when you use the phones Shocked

I'm not up on the tech side of it,but the guru Jonathon Porter,who makes the booster reckons it works best thru the speaker cheers

Cheers...Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  swagman Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm

I checked out the link for the speakers mate I see that they have an impedance of 16 ohm I would be very interested to know how a set of headphones of a higher impedance say 50 ohm connected to the B@Z and see if that same buzz is there food for thought Shark
Cheers
Swagman
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down