Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Day Out With The Zed

+3
slimpickens
GOLDGASM
AnnieL
7 posters

Go down

Another Day Out With The Zed  Empty Another Day Out With The Zed

Post  kiwijw Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi guys, Got off to an earlier start than last weekend. Ended up carrying on from where I left of last weekend on the same old workings. Bit of snow still up on the tops.

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161203_132516_zps4eev0y6f

Hiked up to the spot, dropped the back pack & rigged up. Settings were, High Yield/Normal. Threshold 25, sensitivity 6. B & Z booster batteries had gone flat....bugger. So it was just the WM 12 cranked up to 20. First signal in as many minutes. Scrape scrape & it had moved. Damn....shot gun pellet

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_110423_zpsva9ninsk

Couldnt help myself being the first signal. So I checked it rather than walk on.

Glad I did

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_110435_zpsg6kw22vu

Jezzzzz   Now I have to wonder how many of those scrape scrape moved signals I have moved on from thinking they were just shoty pellets.  Rolling Eyes

Not four feet away & on the top of an old throw out pile another faint little signal

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_112027_zpsgbamsutj

After quite a few scrapes the signal was still in the ground & sounding better than a shot gun pellet. My hopes were high

There it is in that lump of dirt at the top end of that bit of grass root

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_112037_zpsjixl70kv

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_112110_zpsakqwd9w0

I am just gobsmacked at the signal strength & depth for such small gold with a 14" coil Shocked

Well those two where in the first 5 minutes & then it was a long time between drinks. Had a coffee break & then back in to it.

Came across this old timer water race channel formed by slabs of schist up on edge. Pretty cool.

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_122113_zpshld2qmih

Then got a signal on top of another old throw out pile & under a briar rose bush.

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_130743_zpsvwhuoj3k

Another tiny bit of gold

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_130759_zpsg2frbr3d

I then came across the spot on the deeper ground on the fringe of these workings were I got that bigger bit last weekend. Not 2 feet away I got a good signal. MMMmmm...how come I didnt hear that signal last weekend. scratch   V19  Dug down in to the top soil about 4 inches & the signal was still there & sounding good.

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_134352_zpsf6a8ofew

Then it was out & I couldnt believe the small size of it for the signal & depth. But glad it was gold.  V29

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_134407_zpsls52gcdv

Stopped for a late lunch & a bit of shelter under a briar rose bush to get out of the sun. It was getting pretty hot. V51  Downed a liter of water. Chilled out for a bit & then.....back in to it....

Got a loud hit just beside an old gutter that the old timers had dug out. May have been one of their ground sluicing ditches or a natural gutter that they ran their water down. It was down a wee bit before the signal was out.

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_154013_zpseireiavq

I wasnt holding my breath that it was going to be gold....But...

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_154028_zpshth5plru

The biggest bit for the day.  T18

Then it was another long time between a good signal. But come it did. Another scrape scrape & it had moved.

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_170455_zpslag7p8a2

Lead pellet.....or gold??

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_170505_zpsqymhx6sw

Small gold it was.

That was it for the day. 6 small bits for just over 1 gram.

Another Day Out With The Zed  20161210_224225_zpsf6h3tz03

The Zed blows me away with the tiny gold it is finding. But where have all the bigger bits gone. V19

Cheers guys.

Good luck out there  Q39

JW  V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Another Day Out With The Zed  Empty Re: Another Day Out With The Zed

Post  AnnieL Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Nice finds kiwijw.  Like the pic of the old water race. Very Happy
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:54 am

Well done on your finds, the big ones will look after themselves so keep it up. The stability of this detector is amazing me all the time aswell, yesterday I dug a flattish .13g piece at 7" (sens was 9).

Cheers GG
GOLDGASM
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:07 am

A deadly combo, you and your Zed. Q15
I am sure if a big nugget comes under your coil.. you will ping it  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:14 am

kiwijw wrote:  

The Zed blows me away with the tiny gold it is finding. But where have all the bigger bits gone. V19

Cheers guys.

Good luck out there  Q39

JW  V08
'
Good to see it's working for you. Best you sell the 4500 before it rusts up on you.....
" But where have all the bigger bits gone?"

Go back through members finds, you'll see some bloke also named JW took it, the bugger. Razz
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Hi there AnnieL, Thank you. Here are some pics of a different water channel/diversion from the old timers & again with the schist up on edge to form the sides. This one is pretty cool as it has a flare to gather the water. Maybe it was a sluice box set up. It has been set up in a natural gutter of a gully that you will see running down behind that dude standing in the first pic.  lol! .

Another Day Out With The Zed  IMG_0507_zpsktiddapz

Another Day Out With The Zed  IMG_0508_zpsybxpnagp

This is taken lying down looking down the "sluice box" Hows that back drop??

Another Day Out With The Zed  IMG_0509_zpshkmlbufq

Another Day Out With The Zed  IMG_0511_zps4o5ap0mu

GOLDGASM, Cheers mate. Yer I am picking the big ones will look after themselves but going over my old ground areas I think the 4500 has done a good job of getting the bigger ones. I need to go further out on the fringes of the old workings to deeper ground & see what the Zed can ping. That or get back into true prospecting on new ground. Thanks Smile

Hi Jen, Thanks again for your continued support & kind words. Yes I am sure if a bigger one is lurking the Zed will ping it for sure. Just a matter of walking over one. V23   V01  V06  V07

G'day Slim, Thanks mate. Yer that bloody JW. Wait until I catch up with him V13  V31  lol!

Thanks guys.

Good luck out there

JW  V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:58 am

Good on you kiwijw.  Q15

Thought when I saw the first photo that you may have been in line for a bit of a wet day by the look of the clouds behind.

Another great result and that backdrop is nothing short of spectacular. T08

No worry about the size. Carry on regardless I say.

Bernie
Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Q33 Well done on the finds JW. That man made/built sluice, to channel water through, is amazing. Just goes to show what man's ingenuity is capable of, when all depends on gold for a living.
As for the surrounding scenery, "spectacular" as usual.

Cheers  Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Another rewarding adventure JW. T06 Never get enough of the beautiful scenery over your side of the ditch, so thanks again for the sharing of your finds and pictures.
Also the ingenuity of the old timers is something else.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoffs Gold Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Another great write up John, the zeds killing the smalls mate well done.
I had a similar thing happen to me last night where I got a sweet target only a foot away from where I found a nice +gram bit.
I was running in Bodgings settings (Threshold 1, Sensitivity 20) at the time so I feel this can be a valuable option when conditions allow it.
It was only a little rust ball at about 11" but I was amazed I missed it. Shocked
Looking forward to your next write up mate.

Cheers, cheers cheers

Hoff.
Hoffs Gold
Hoffs Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2011-04-26

http://www.thebeardedprospectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:44 am

Hi there Bernie, Thanks mate. Yer....I was getting a fair bit of thunder & lightening activity. Not too nice to be amongst that stuff when up in the hills  affraid  It was at a bit of a distance & luckily for me it didn't come over head. I got the odd spike through the Zed be it quite faint & nothing like I would have got with the 4500. That was pleasing. Cheers.  Smile

Thank you Mike &  Kon   T25   You will enjoy these pics then.   T06

Hi there Hoff. Cheers mate. Yes the Zed amazes me with the small gold it is finding considering that I have been over these workings with the little coiltek joey mono & NF 8 x 6 Sadie coil more than once & missed these  scratch . Just shows the power of the Zed I guess.....& for a 14" coil. Wicked. Just got to walk it over some bigger stuff.  Rolling Eyes

Here are a few more pics from the same area as the above 4 pics. On the same slope of that hill & around a bit further is this out cropping quartz reef. Barren of gold unfortunately

Another Day Out With The Zed  4500%20autum%20gold%207_zpsexyj7vsh

Above that schist lined sluice box in the above pic & over from that fence line on top of the ridge is this
Another schist lined water race that was spilling water over the edge & into some pretty impressive herring bone rock stacked ground sluiced workings.

Another Day Out With The Zed  4500%20autum%20gold%208a_zpsi9dyju6d

This is at the very end of the schist line water race (note the slabs of schist left & right in the foreground) where it spills over the edge & into the workings.
How are these for stacked rock tailings.

Another Day Out With The Zed  4500%20autum%20gold%209a_zpsyqichimw

Another Day Out With The Zed  4500%20autum%20gold%2010a_zpsot5kc5sp

Another Day Out With The Zed  4500%20autum%20gold%2011a_zps5e1hcfjk

Another Day Out With The Zed  4500%20autum%20gold%2012aJPG_zps9o4lajeg

Pretty impressive aye.

Thanks guys.

Best of luck out there

JW   V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Wow JW, they sure paddocked and stacked that area out, can you imagine doing that today, it sure must have been a rich area.

Thanks again for the magnificent pictures, very captivating to see what the old timers got upto.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoffs Gold Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:51 pm

Only in NZ could a mine site look so picturesque. T13
Hoffs Gold
Hoffs Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2011-04-26

http://www.thebeardedprospectors.com