Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Afternoon With The Zed

+5
Ash100456
Harb
Hoffs Gold
California
kiwijw
9 posters

Go down

An Afternoon With The Zed Empty An Afternoon With The Zed

Post  kiwijw Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi guys, After a late start to the day & batteries all charged, B & Z booster sorted for the Zed, smoko bag & coffee packed I was off just after midday. 2 hours later I was hiking off up in to the hills on another mission Zed.

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_131704_zps0kmtjppy

Got up to a set of old timer workings that wasn't producing for the 4500 any more. Not even with the Elite coils.

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_132828-1_zpsiza7v3uz

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_152148-1_zpsdqw2quad

Dropped my pack & got rigged up. That old throw out pile in the back ground had produced some nice slugs to me with my GP 3000 when I first hit this spot. I had never got another bit of gold off it since. Not even with the 4500 & all the coils I waved over that pile. But it wasn't going to disappoint me today.

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_152159_zpsea9fdlp1

Here is a pic for you Jen. Sweet briar rose

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_132911_zpsmjdquo3h

My first faint little signal. Took a while to come.

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_152648_zpsr6hqtzoi

But gold it was. Ye Ha

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_145015_zpspksvas2i

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_145015-2_zpsqfiljj4n

I then took a well deserved coffee break. Than back in to it.

Signal number two.

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_154636_zpsdughbrjo

Gold number two  Q21

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_154652_zpsmkmdoww0

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_154652-1_zpslvibj8qc

I was getting my share of rubbish but no where as bad as last weekend, especially on the lead pellet side of things. Thank god...

Another nice faint little signal

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_160007_zpsoz9va7sa

A few scrapes & it was out. Another sassy little bit of gold.   Q27

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_160019_zpsoeckr70e

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_160019-1_zpsnwwaiobx

I then hit that old throw out pile that was in the back ground of one of my earlier pics where I had dropped the back pack. I had got nothing here since my GP 3000 days but I got a good sounding signal in the area of the pile where I had snagged a few bits with the 3000

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_164732_zpsazjmusry

It took a while to get the signal on to the coil as it kept falling down in to the pile as I tried getting it out. The same thing happened back in the 3000 days. The pile being quite lose & the target kept dropping down. But we got there. I was gobsmacked at the size of it for the signal it had given.  T08

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_164750_zpshaxpfaag

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_164750-1_zpsqrfnairy

Then there was a long dry period so I had another coffee & a bite to eat.

Back in to it again & I got a loud signal on the deeper outer fringes of these workings. Not feeling very confident about this signal. It was down a bit & appeared to be just top soil with a hint of gravel in the bottom when the signal was out.

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_194941_zpssex4fmoa

Well.....stone the crows... 1.23 grams

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_195006_zpsrbgacjoz

You little ripper   Q16

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_195022-1_zpsdwk3dfz0

Well that was it, it was 9:15pm & I had a bit of a walk out & dark wasn't far away so I packed it in.

So another successful hunt for the Zed. 5 bits off old ground that was no longer producing for me for the grand total of.....1.77 grams  Rolling Eyes but gold all the same & a couple of old buttons . Smallest gold was .09 of a gram & the 4 small ones were a total of .54. Man that just blows me away for the size of the coil. Goes to show how deadly the Zed & the 14 x 13 coil is. All of the signals had me believing that the targets were going to be bigger than they were. Go the Zed you good thing.  T06  

An Afternoon With The Zed 20161203_232821_zpsfzu0vy6c

Cheers guys

Good luck out there

JW   V08

kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

An Afternoon With The Zed Empty Re: An Afternoon With The Zed

Post  Guest Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:44 am

Thankyou John.. for the picture of the sweet briar rose..  very pretty

Well you are sure loving that Zed.. 
I have a feeling you are going to find a larger piece of gold at depth soon..
I mean you could find yourself digging over a 2 foot hole..
The Zed's really work a treat.

Thankyou again for the great write up.. its always a pleasure to read your posts.

P.s .. looking good there John Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:46 am

Nice finds & story with your Zed there JW. T06 Yes it has amazed me to with some of the finds that I have found as well. Thanks for sharing your story/great pics & of course your finds.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  California Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 am

Kiwijm,

As always great pictures...and write up about your new gpz. You folks really do live in a beautiful country.
California
California
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2016-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoffs Gold Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:43 am

Great write up John and I love the photos, you've inspired me to take the camera these days off on my own Zed mission. T06
Fingers crossed a few more of them +Grammers show up for ya.

Cheers, cheers

Hoff.
Hoffs Gold
Hoffs Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2011-04-26

http://www.thebeardedprospectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:46 am

They need to start marketing this thing as the "Electric Pan"

I am amazed at the small gold they find.......
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:10 am

Congrats jw, Just shows the Zed does open up the goldfields again, Now for some bigguns !

Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:18 am

Well done there. Another good day out. It can find smaller stuff for sure, 0.026 grams is the smallest for me so far.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Well done, kiwijw!! Nice gold.
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:57 pm

G'day Kiwi,  T06 good yarn, good pics as usual, no nugget (dare i call them nuggets  Rolling Eyes ) is safe from you are they  V11 , in your first pic there's a cleft/cave in the rock behind you,do you think that natural or someones work, I love pictures of old workings and pictures of camps/dwellings even more perhaps, thanks again.

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:28 pm

Jen58 wrote:Thankyou John.. for the picture of the sweet briar rose..  very pretty

Hi Jen. T01 .....Pretty.....just like you (I should imagine....aye Mike) Embarassed lol! Yes l am liking the Zed....but boy....l could do with some bigger bits. With the small bits I am getting I am thinking the Zed is my new 2300 on steroids. lol!

Hi there Mike. Thank you. Yes I was surprised at the depth & how strong the signal was for the small size of the gold. The Zed sure does lift the target signal. Even more reason to dig all signals Rolling Eyes Cheers Very Happy

Hi there California. Thanks for dropping by & for your kind words. Yes I am blessed to live in such a beautiful country. Gold could be bigger though. I think the Aussies pinched all the big gold. Buggers lol!

Thank you Hoff. The + grammers sure are conspicuous by their absence. Not through lack of trying. Surely my day will come. Rolling Eyes Cheers.

G'day Harb, Yer mate the zed sure does snag those small ones so it must be dynamite on the bigger ones. Hopefully I will find out.....Just hope it is soon. lol!

Thank you Ash. Yes it is great to be able to go back over old haunts & get gold again. Although it isn't like it was but still a bit of gold is better than none. I need to get out & find new patches. Hanging out for the bigguns. Cheers Smile

Hi Axtyr. I can see we are back in competition to see who can get the smallest gold. I think you are doing it with .026. T08 Thanks mate. Smile

Hi there jrbeatty. Thank you. Wish I was a gold magnet on the bigger ones. There has to be some out there with my name on them. Surely. Cheers.

Thanks Anniel for the kind words. Smile

Hi there Digginerup. Thank you. I guess if the gold is there then it just aint safe when I am prowling around. The bigger ones must have got a warning & sacrificed the small ones while they made their escape. Bit like a game of chess. That is a natural cleft in the schist bed rock. The country side is full of them. The old day miners made use of them or a large stone overhang & stone walled them in & made there homes out of them. I come across them all over the place. On a lot of them you can still see the old square shank hand made nails they used, driven in to the schist to hold a canvas tarp as a roof extention out to there stone walls. Pretty cool. Some of the huts are very elaborate. I will find a few pics & put them up.

Thank you all for your comments & feedback. It is very much appreciated. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW V08

kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Splendid,  T06  I look forward to seeing them Kiwi, obviously yours may be a little more picturesque than some of ours but round here the authorities seem to treat the historical gold relics and remnants with utter contempt and bulldoze every f*#@#*G thing to a shitty unrecognizable  mess   Q12 in the name of safety or some other misguided s#*t Q12 then they brag about it in the paper!!!  T02  does my f*#@*&G head in  V02  silent   so lets not get started on that old chestnut,  do you possess the long awaited 19" coil kiwi? and do you consider your ground deep?

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:54 pm

Digginerup wrote:Splendid,  T06  I look forward to seeing them Kiwi, obviously yours may be a little more picturesque than some of ours but round here the authorities seem to treat the historical gold relics and remnants with utter contempt and bulldoze every f*#@#*G thing to a shitty unrecognizable  mess   Q12 in the name of safety or some other misguided s#*t Q12 then they brag about it in the paper!!!  T02  does my f*#@*&G head in  V02  silent   so lets not get started on that old chestnut,  do you possess the long awaited 19" coil kiwi? and do you consider your ground deep?

Wayne. cheers

G'day Wayne, I will wait & see how our member Alchemist reports with his 19" across the ditch here. Yes we do have deep ground but is the gold big enough to be discovered at depth?? I cant find big bits at shallow to medium depth.....so I dont know. A lot of the old workings I go to have had a lot of overburden ground sluiced off or hydroliced off down to the bed rock & still only small gold caught up in the schist cracks & crevices. I am talking meters of overburden so I just dont think the bigger gold exists.
We have had our share of Government departments bulldoze old mining relic sites flat. More so on the West Coast side where they then planted blocks of pine forests. In Otago here they more built dams for irrigation & in the process ended up drowning many valleys of old mining town sites & workings. Heritage gone for ever. Now days, if you & I removed a stone from an old stacked tailings pile we would have the book thrown at us. Go figure. Same old story. Rules for us & rules for them. You are right....dont get me started either.....

Best of luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:57 pm

kiwijw wrote:
Jen58 wrote: lol! Thankyou John.. for the picture of the sweet briar rose..  very pretty

Hi Jen. T01 .....Pretty.....just like you (I should imagine....aye Mike) Embarassed lol!  

Good luck out there

JW    V08  

Well. Yeah i guess so JW.. here's a quote from Wikipedia 
(of a person, especially a woman or child) attractive in a delicate way without being truly beautiful.)
 lol!  lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:48 pm

kiwijw wrote:
Jen58 wrote:Thankyou John.. for the picture of the sweet briar rose..  very pretty

Hi Jen. T01 .....Pretty.....just like you (I should imagine....aye Mike) Embarassed lol!  Yes l am liking the Zed....but boy....l could do with some bigger bits. With the small bits I am getting I am thinking the Zed is my new 2300 on steroids. lol!

Hi there Mike. Thank you. Yes I was surprised at the depth & how strong the signal was for the small size of the gold. The Zed sure does lift the target signal. Even more reason to dig all signals Rolling Eyes  Cheers  Very Happy

Thank you all for your comments & feedback. It is very much appreciated. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW    V08  

G'day John (JW),

Jen will always be my little Rose petal.    flower      Wink

Yes I know what you mean about the Zed it's so versatile the 14" coil can pick up the smallest of gold and yet can punch deep for the bigger gold it's like you're using 3 different coils at the same time.  I'm yet to blood the 19", but it is still early days.  

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:50 am

Hi there KiwiJW,

All those who have gone before have said it all I reckon.

Another top job, no doubt about it. Keep getting the little ones at that rate and there will be no worries about the absence of big ones I think. V06

Well done ,

Bernie
Determined1

Now Mike.

What was that you were after for Christmas again Question   T05

G'day John (JW),

Yes I know what you mean about the Zed it's so versatile the 14" coil can pick up the smallest of gold and yet can punch deep for the bigger gold it's like you're using 3 different coils at the same time.  I'm yet to blood the 19", but it is still early days.  

Cheers.

Mike.
[/quote]

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:15 pm

determined1 wrote:
Now Mike.

What was that you were after for Christmas again Question   T05

G'day John (JW),

Cheers.

Mike.

V58

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:44 am

Mike54 wrote:
kiwijw wrote:

Hi Jen. T01 .....Pretty.....just like you (I should imagine....aye Mike) Embarassed lol! .

Good luck out there

JW    V08  

G'day John (JW),

Cheers.

Mike.

Hi Mike...... lol!  When I took the pic of that briar rose I snap chatted it to Mr's JW saying "Here is one for you my little rose petal"  Q19 ..... Q34   Cheers. Q39

Hi Bernie Q32 for dropping by with your kind comments. I do wish for the bigger ones though.....would make for less digging. Well maybe just deeper holes instead of a few scrapes. So probably the same amount of dirt moved in the end. Cheers & good luck to you out there.

JW V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down