Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPZ 19" Coil Thread

Go down

GPZ 19" Coil Thread Empty GPZ 19" Coil Thread

Post  Harb Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:05 pm

Ok, Now they are in our hot little hands how are you finding it......

I went and picked mine up at Mudgee today..........shame they dont come with a skid plate as standard........had to order one and a spare.

You would think for the price Minlab are chargoing for these there would at least be one in the box......

Anyway, other than that I am pretty keen to get out there with it.
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

GPZ 19" Coil Thread Empty Re: GPZ 19" Coil Thread

Post  Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:16 pm

Something not right there..
Surely they come with a skid plate!

Ask Narrawa   Hey Owen i know your about..
Shouldn't there be a skid plate on the 19inch coil???

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Actually it might....hang on I will unpack it and have a better look.....

Just unpacked it and I am not sure if what I am looking at is an actual skid plate........it is a black and white clip on piece that will come off if you pull on it....like a skid plate, but underneath is the potting that the windings are set in...........if that is the skid plate, I dont think its going to be real good.........

Actually I am going to make the call and say that this is not the skid plate....it is just half the coil moulding......and its not clipped together properly........I just put it on properly.

Ok this is what it looks like.........it is a pretty crude plastic part, that looks like there should be another part placed over the bottom........if you peel the plastic back, directly under it there is the Potting the wires are set into.....the black gooey stuff......its nothing at all like the skid plate style on the 14"

GPZ 19" Coil Thread IMG_2136_zpslrefn3wp

Last edited by Harb on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:46 pm

G'day Harb,

It sounds like the skid plate as I was looking at the new coil on Saturday in HillEnd. Narrawa (Owen) had one on the GPZ at the NAPFA meeting on the weekend, it is in 2 sections and clips onto the bottom of the coil it's got a black rubber band around the edges of the plate.
Hope this is what you saw with your new coil. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:49 pm

Mike54 wrote:G'day Harb,

It sounds like the skid plate as I was looking at the new coil on Saturday in HillEnd.  Narrawa (Owen) had one on the GPZ at the NAPFA meeting on the weekend, it is in 2 sections and clips onto the bottom of the coil it's got a black rubber band around the edges of the plate.  
Hope this is what you saw with your new coil.    Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike

Yeah that basically sums up what I was looking at........it just looked really flimzy compared to all the other skid plates I have......anyway I ordered another 2 of them for spares anyway......I will be a long long way from the shops lol
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Yes that's it the one in your picture. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:59 pm

Mike54 wrote:Yes that's it the one in your picture.      Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike.

Thanks Mike........it wasn't at all what I expected, so lucky I asked !

I was expecting the typical white one piece clip on unit like the 14" or something very similar.......ok then......"A Swingin I shall go" Very Happy
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:03 am

Yes the one I looked at didn't look very solid to me, but I will be getting mine tomorrow hopefully if we can get back in time.  
Just wondering what did the spares end up costing you?

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:18 am

Mike54 wrote:Yes the one I looked at didn't look very solid to me, but I will be getting mine tomorrow hopefully if we can get back in time.  
Just wondering what did the spares end up costing you?

Cheers.

Mike.

$49 each

But its an expensive bit of kit, so I hope to get a good long life out of it.

Now I just need to put a tugnsten tip on my pick.....lol
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks Harb,

Yes I picked mine up this afternoon on our way back home (560kms later) and have fitted it to my GPZ. Well I just had a quick swing with it out on our block and I can say that it was running very sweet for a big coil as we do get a bit of EMI here, but it just purred along nice and quiet.  I even changed my settings to smoothing off and it still ran fairly smooth there was a little chatter, but I could put up with it no worries.   I didn't do a noise cancel as it was running so quiet when I first switched it on, so I would say the chatter probably would have settled if I had.   My other settings are still set how I had it in WA which are pretty much flat out to max.  Anyway I did get some good target signals, but I ran out of time as I couldn't see much, so I will have to go back in the morning and check them out.   So far I am pretty pleased with it.   Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down