Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detector for a first time prospector

3 posters

Go down

Detector for a first time prospector Empty Detector for a first time prospector

Post  taigy87 Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi al, its Nathan from Bendigo here.

Just trying to pick some experianced prospector's brains if i could.
I have been very keen for a while now to purchase my first detector and start hunting for gold (happy to even find coins/buttons etc). I just want to know what detector people recommend for a first timer, will be more of a hobby than anything else. Not expecting to be making enough money to quite the day job haha.
I'm not really wanting to spend huge money on my first detector, but in saying that I'm also not wanting to buy something that is only going to be at my level of experience or needing to be upgraded after 6 months. As with most things I'm assuming you get what you pay for.
Anyway i look forward to hearing all your ideas, thanks for your time.

taigy87
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-08-06

Back to top Go down

Detector for a first time prospector Empty Re: Detector for a first time prospector

Post  dryblower Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi Nathan
From my perspective as a full time prospector I would go for a second hand Minelab  GPX 4500 .
  ( from a dealer so you dont get a fake ! )
If your budget wont stretch that far , an older Minelab SD 2200 or GP Extream would get you started.
These are not ideal coin machines , you may be better with a  discriminating detector for that
As I am in WA the locals over there may have  different advise for yor soil type !
Cheers
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-12-25

Back to top Go down

Detector for a first time prospector Empty Detector for first timer.....

Post  sandy2010 Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:08 pm

As suggested, the Minelab SD2200 (in nice condition with a DD coil) would be a prudent buy......for around $1,000.00 Try to push the seller for as many bells & whistles
as you can, that improves the chances of you getting your money back if you decide the hobby is not for you.
I suggest you pay a visit to a local club and get some help and/or advice on the subject of where to go and how to do it.

Have fun,

Cheers.

p.s. If you are not a very patient person......forget it !!!!

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Detector for a first time prospector Empty Re: Detector for a first time prospector

Post  taigy87 Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:23 pm

thanks for the info 'dry blower' and 'sandy2010'
I plan to head into the local "miners den" shop tomorrow and see what information i can find out.
My rough plan is to aim for around the $1000 dollar mark so the Minelab SD2200 could be a viable option.
Thanks for the info again.

taigy87
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-08-06

Back to top Go down