Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Booster Value

3 posters

Go down

Booster Value Empty Booster Value

Post  noyungan Thu May 26, 2016 5:23 pm

Just read February posts re boosting signals from SDC2300... How successful is it?? Can a amplified but still faint signal be drowned out because all parts of the signal are amplified... noyungan

noyungan
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2015-02-10

Back to top Go down

Booster Value Empty Re: Booster Value

Post  neddy Fri May 27, 2016 10:54 pm

I use an amplifier and shoulder speakers you are able to use higher sensitivity settings which are noisier and by turning the amplifier down this allows you to hear signals which you would normally miss in the noise. If you use the machine on a lower sensitivity setting and use the amplifier to boost the signal you will not hear the target signals as the amplifier will drown out faint signals in the white noise generated by the amplifier when turned up. An amplifier speaker combination can be good for helping hear signals but they have their limits.
neddy
neddy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazyPete Sat May 28, 2016 12:52 am

Im running a DEtech booster and 8watt speaker with the sens flat chat.
It's noisy as hell but the thing is, you need to train your hearing to ignore
the mineral chatter and focus solely on the target reactions,be it a high squawk
from a small shallow target or a mellow weak droptone for a solid deep Dab.

Try get a lend of a good booster/spkr and see what suits ya Very Happy
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2016 7:19 pm

well... here we go.
I have found that running the SDC with the sens up and noisy as hell produces less gold. I thought that I could still hear the gold signals but noticed that I was finding less gold. So I went the other way and ran it quiet and started finding gold again.
 I have a B & Z booster and use it with the headphones,( this is not perfect as if you  turn it up too high it deafens you). I have found that if it is windy or there is some background noise and due to mineralization or EMI I have to run the SDC on sens 2 to cut down on that noise a bit so I can hear a target, then the booster is very useful. It allows me to still hear things above the wind etc. if I can have the detector sens at say 4, then I don't think the booster is a real advantage as I can hear a target just fine for the most part. On my gpx 4000 I use the booster all the time and am convinced it is a major advantage.
 I know this is the opposite to what the 2 guys above say but life is a bit like that.
 Sparrowfart. sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  neddy Sun May 29, 2016 11:37 pm

I agree with sparfart about too much noise can make it so you can miss signals. This is mainly due to your ears being virtually overloaded. Its like trying to hear conversation in a noisy crowded room. In my post I mentioned to turn the volume down on your amplifier in noisy conditions this will allow you to make out gold signals easier. Its the same when using the machine in quieter conditions by turning the amplifier up to too higher volume it will make you miss signals as your ears cant handle it plus you will get noise generated by the amplifier itself. I wouldn't recommend using headphones with amplifier unless they have a sound limitting device to stop damaging your ears. I own some black widow and killer bee headphones both which are high frequency 150ohm they are fitted with sound limitting device I would recommend these headphones for use on the sdc without amplifier.
neddy
neddy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-11-16

Back to top Go down