Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discovery or Patrol ???

+3
mulgadansa
Jim.
angus
7 posters

Go down

Discovery or Patrol ??? Empty Discovery or Patrol ???

Post  angus Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Giday folks,
cant decide which way to go . Its time to get a new rig, thinkin either Discovery or Patrol.
Definitely going diesel and probably automatic 95 to 2000 model around the 10g mark . ive had plenty of 4x4 over the years, last one being a gq patrol . Was a good truck but expensive to run even on gas and when they do a head, and they do, it costs a packet suppose they all got their little querks and problems.
So any disco owners out there like to share the pros , cons
There seems to be plenty of them for sale and there cheepish
or does any one know any problems with the GQ auto`s other than there rare as rocking horse ####
Cheers Angus

Last edited by angus on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cant spell ?)
angus
angus
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

Discovery or Patrol ??? Empty Re: Discovery or Patrol ???

Post  Jim. Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:16 am

Hi all,

Angus I have a 98 landrover discovery TDI (2.5 turbo diesel)....................its got around 250k on the clock and its never let me down. Before I bought it I did a lot of research on them, and I really couldnt find any reason not to buy one. Mines a 98 model the last of the TDIs, I definateley wanted a poverty pack, which has no electric features, not even airbags. I was very specific about the model I was looking for beleived they would have all of the bugs ironed out by then.
Its a 5 speed with centre diff lock (standard) it will always return 800km per 80lt tank of fuel. I do all my own servicing, I'm not a mechanic but when you lift the bonnet everythings in easy reach and user friendly, nothing is hidden by mountains of plastic.
I live in Alice Springs and go detecting regularly by myself, and sometimes with others (people are always amazed at were I can get this thing) I do a lot of reasonbly hard 4wding and drive on some pretty rough roads, the LR keeps coming back for more.

To summerise................I took a lot of **** when I bought my LR, In the Territory your either a Cruiser man or a Patrol man. I'm very happy with the LR. Oh and by the way I've had Nissans and Toyotas, and in my opinion they are overated and definatley overpriced.

Regards to all Jim.

Jim.
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  angus Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Thank Jim,
I am leaning the LR way at the moment , still doing the research on them .
Have come up against the same oppinions re. patrol / criuser, but im no sheep, am told that the landys are expensive to repair and maintain but after replaceing 2x heads on my GQ and getting only 300ks a tank on gas ,what isnt expensive. i think ure on the money with the pov pack , less things to go wrong. Will be looking closer at the 98 models with low k's thanks for that Jim. For the price of a nissan or toyota of eqivalent year, can get a disco and one for parts and lots of new coils . hard chioce
Good luck with the prospecting mate.
Cheers Angus
angus
angus
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Gday Angus/Jim
A while back I had a 95 TDI auto Disco. Most comfortable 4x4 I've ever had or driven in. Whacked a set of BF Goodies on it and absolutely brilliant down the beach and great clearance for the bush. The ali panels are pretty good for coastal area too but it did get rust above the little back windows. Big BUT - the electrics on the car were absolute crap. Really the only downside to the vehicle but in remote areas could get you into a heap of trouble. Did about 390k before I got rid of it. Had to replace one transmission, my fault towing too heavy a load too far and too fast.
Probably won't buy another one, as there was always something piddly wrong with it that needed fixing (typical pommie stuff), generally electrical.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Discovery or Patrol ??? Empty Simple decision

Post  jayvee Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:38 pm

angus wrote:Giday folks,
cant decide which way to go . Its time to get a new rig, thinkin either Discovery or Patrol.
Definitely going diesel and probably automatic 95 to 2000 model around the 10g mark . ive had plenty of 4x4 over the years, last one being a gq patrol . Was a good truck but expensive to run even on gas and when they do a head, and they do, it costs a packet suppose they all got their little querks and problems.
or does any one know any problems with the GQ auto`s other than there rare as rocking horse ####
Cheers Angus

Well angus the decision is simple .......ISUZU. JOHN.
jayvee
jayvee
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post  numbat1 Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:13 pm

jayvee wrote:
angus wrote:Giday folks,
Cheers Angus

Well angus the decision is simple .......ISUZU. JOHN.

I have a 97 tdi and it has near driven me crazy with stupid faults but it has now reached half a million and settled down and I love her, hard to say that as I was a Toyota hj 45 man for years lol

numbat1

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Birdman Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:08 pm

I looked at discovery and a patrol. I would not like to service and repair a discovery. I was burnt before on expensive foreighn cars.

I would recommend a holden with a big engine and chain drive. not crappy platic destroying timing belts. The repair bill is in the tens of dollars for parts rather than the thousands of dollars.

I would like a troopy with a chain drive not a plastic timing belt and air cooled like a porche or beetle.
Birdman
Birdman
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down