Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh take on GPS and tablets

3 posters

Go down

Fresh take on GPS and tablets Empty Fresh take on GPS and tablets

Post  Imadogman Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:01 pm

GPS systems seem to give me a bit of a headache - their promise seems to be so simple but the execution so complex.

Are there any recommended systems for dummies? Sad

I want a system for the car where I can access good quality off road maps and be able to mark my own tracks etc as I go and also see the ground, including where I am travelling on google earth and mellagenic map overlays. Could be a tablet, could be a phone. Willing to spend to get it working right.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Fresh take on GPS and tablets Empty Re: Fresh take on GPS and tablets

Post  jdbb Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:19 am

I use OziExplorer on a Samsung 10.1 tablet. I've got maps that cover all of Aust and we do all of our navigation with that.

Before we go to the goldfields I get the maps and data I want from Geomap, Geovic etc., calibrate the maps in Ozi, and then we can see exactly where we are in relation to where the gold might be.

It works well.

I might have a few photos of the setup. If you're interested send me a pm.

regards
John

jdbb
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-07-31

Back to top Go down

Fresh take on GPS and tablets Empty Re: Fresh take on GPS and tablets

Post  Baldy Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi, I don't think you can go past an IPad..model with built in gps..$29 gets hema explorer..then you have google earth as part of hema ,250,000 topo maps ,can lay you track,flag weigh points of interest,your position is on the road or track in map or google earth.all works with out phone or Internet .anywhere out in the bush..and an iPad does 1000 more things..suction to windscreen..Cheers
Baldy
Baldy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-08-19

Back to top Go down