Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What seems to work for me.

+2
hoolahoopa
G.B.
6 posters

Go down

What seems to work for me. Empty What seems to work for me.

Post  G.B. Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Now l'm not saying this is the correct way but it works for me but if anyone has a reason that shows l'm wrong tell me

When working an area and having done the ferite ground balance and the zed is running smooth at the end of the day switch off and walk out. Next day walk in switch on auto tune then start to detect without hitting quick track. Only if the ground balance seems out will l quick track otherwise a quick ferite test now and again is all l do. The longer l can run without quick tracking and just letting the auto track do its thing the better the zed seems to run
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

What seems to work for me. Empty Re: What seems to work for me.

Post  hoolahoopa Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:39 pm

The only problem I reckon with that is that there is different sources of emi every day and just that slight wobble or what ever could mask the big one.
If it was me I would be auto tuning each time I moved location.
cheers
hoola

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:21 pm

hoolahoopa wrote:The only problem I reckon with that is that there is different sources of emi every day and just that slight wobble or what ever could mask the big one.
If it was me I would be auto tuning each time I moved location.
cheers
hoola

Sorry forgot to mention the first thing after swith on is the autotune and several times during the session as well to nullify emi effects
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:36 pm

G.B. wrote:Now l'm not saying this is the correct way but it works for me but if anyone has a reason that shows l'm wrong tell me

When working an area and having done the ferite ground balance and the zed is running smooth at the end of the day switch off and walk out. Next day walk in switch on auto tune then start to detect without hitting quick track. Only if the ground balance seems out will l quick track otherwise a quick ferite test now and again is all l do. The longer l can run without quick tracking and just letting the auto track do its thing the better the zed seems to run

Sounds OK to me. As long as you auto tune, the ground balance should still be there from the day before. Just a quick check with the ferrite.

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Righto sounds good to me as well, saves a bit of mucking around and wondering whether the ground balance is at its best.

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:53 am

If you perform a frequency Tune you should always recheck the Ferrite balance. Moving the operating frequency of the detector can alter the GB and Ferrite balances. I rarely have to do an auto frequency tune unless I'm right near suburbia.

It's a simple matter to place the Ferrite on the ground and wave over it with Quick Trak held in.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:09 am

Jonathan Porter wrote:If you perform a frequency Tune you should always recheck the Ferrite balance. Moving the operating frequency of the detector can alter the GB and Ferrite balances.  I rarely have to do an auto frequency tune unless I'm right near suburbia.

It's a simple matter to place the Ferrite on the ground and wave over it with Quick Trak held in.

JP

Thank you JP

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:15 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:If you perform a frequency Tune you should always recheck the Ferrite balance. Moving the operating frequency of the detector can alter the GB and Ferrite balances.  I rarely have to do an auto frequency tune unless I'm right near suburbia.

JP

G'day JP and thanks for your reply above.  

When performing the Quick track procedure would you need to go into manual GB before you perform the procedure?? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb Question, but this is what I normally do. Just asking the question for the newer users.  Thanks in advance.  Very Happy

Regards.   Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:34 am

Hi Mike, theres no need. In Tracking/Auto mode just place the Ferrite on the ground, hold the Quick Trak button in then sweep over the ferrite. Keep the coil up at least 30mm above the Ferrite for optimal results, especially in Saturable soils.

My personal routine is to release the Quick Trak button once there is no signal being created by the Ferrite then gently small-stroke/pump the coil (sorry that sounds rude :-( ) to finalise the G balance (5000 balance). If your not happy with the outcome then just power cycle the unit and do as above.

If anyone is having hassles with the written word then feel free to give me a call and I can talk you through it...... 0427 394 651

Hope this helps
JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks Jonathan,

Very much appreciated for your reply back to me and the other members. Yes I too just pump the coil (5000 style) when I feel/find the 7000 is drifting out of GB, but I probably should use the ferrite a little more often than I do. scratch in saying that I rarely find my 7000 going too far out GB and find by just a couple of pumps, it usually settles pretty quick.
Thanks again for your reply and I do understand what you have explained. Very Happy

Regards.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

What seems to work for me. Empty what seems to work for me

Post  Hermann Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi JP, When I ground balance my ZED over the ferrite in high yield, or general, in difficult, sensitivity 11, smoothing high, the ferrite noise disappears quickly. However, when I go to normal and swing the coil over the ferrite it keeps on barking. Why is it so? Cheers, Hermann.

Hermann
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  corydale Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:50 pm

I think you will find (but correct me if im off on a tangent) that because 'normal' ground type is more for use in low mineralisation which probably doesn't have a lot of the ferrite content to it, it cant balance properly to the ferrite ring. Difficult and severe are for more extreme ground with high ferrite content- they are able to use the ferrite ring more efficiently to add data to the GB.
Just like a gpx in normal running a mono if you can, and you come across a small pocket of higher mineralisation, it will cause a strong signal wich wont balance out- its in the timing Wink right timing for the right ground!
corydale
corydale
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Hermann wrote:Hi JP,    When I ground balance my ZED over the ferrite in high yield, or general, in difficult, sensitivity 11, smoothing high, the ferrite noise disappears   quickly.  However, when I go to normal and swing the coil over the ferrite it keeps on barking.  Why is it so?   Cheers,  Hermann.

Because Normal modes are more sensitive to the Ferrite compared to Difficult, especially the High Yield modes. Best bet is to keep the coil at least 30 mm above the ferrite when performing the Quick Trak Balance routine to avoid this.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

What seems to work for me. Empty ground balance

Post  Hermann Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Thank you for your answers, Corydale and JP. Cheers, Hermann.

Hermann
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down