Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graytown ?

3 posters

Go down

Graytown ? Empty Graytown ?

Post  angus Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Is Graytown worth a look ? ,cant seem to find much info on the electric interweb regarding nuggety gold and detecting in the area. mt black flora reserve is now a national park so im told is detecting allowed in these areas.
Any info would be grouse
Cheers Angus
angus
angus
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

Graytown ? Empty graytown

Post  slimpickens Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Angus,

There doesn't appear to be much shallow ground to detect. There's a lot of deep shafts everywhere.
Hope this helps.
Shiraz
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Graytown ? Empty graytown

Post  slimpickens Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Angus,

There doesn't appear to be much shallow ground to detect. There's a lot of deep shafts everywhere.
Hope this helps.
Shiraz
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Graytown ? Empty Re: Graytown ?

Post  angus Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks Sharaz,
It all helps thanks for your responce, am planing a trip that way soon ' have done all the usual reserch ,
did get on to a good book by Joyce Hamond ,The Graytown rush.
Will have a look for the shallow ground
Thanks n cheers
Angus
angus
angus
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:49 pm

G'day Angus.

Although most of the main gold workings were in and around Spring Creek,Shiraz is right in saying that,most the area around Graytown is deep ground (heavy mining and deep shafts).Also most creeks and gullies around Graytown run north/south,which aren't really good trappers of gold in slate bars.However,after saying all this, check out some of the heads of feeders,which run east and west along Spring Creek (North of Graytown,on the road heading to Whroo).

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  angus Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Cheers Kon61,
Will have a look , thanks .
I recon a lot of people would say the place has been flogged ,probly is.
But i recon make a find even sweeter, any way just looking for a spot to test meself on a 3500 and some coils it came with.Got `sum learnin ta do`,and some digging i expect, nice to have that little bit of hope.

Cheers Angus
angus
angus
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:34 am

Greytown was known as the 40 foot diggings so you will have to find shallow ground!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:06 pm

...just wondering how Angas went in Graytown area.....and also wondering if he managed to stay out of those holes!
All I have managed to find in several visits detecting is heaps of trash in that area....the old POW camp is chockers with rusty iron and barb wire pieces and bits from the original huts etc etc...I wonder how much Gold the German prisoners of the Kormoran, which sank the ill fated and tragic HMAS Sydney,... managed to find and stash in their 4 odd years there....digging their way down and not out...<not that there was anywhere to go if they had dug out>..Hoo Roo.

Back to top Go down