Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Minelab Fix The GPZ 7000?

+2
goldstrijk
kevlorraine2
6 posters

Go down

Can Minelab Fix The GPZ 7000? Empty Can Minelab Fix The GPZ 7000?

Post  1anSDC Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:33 am

Can Minelab fix the GPZ 7000 and why should they?

The short answer is, of-course they can, but the most relevant question is, when and how will they do it?

I have worked alongside physicists and electronic engineers, assembling, calibrating and fault finding instruments that use gamma and microwave techniques to analyse mineral composition. These instruments were designed and developed in house and had 6 and 7 digit price tags. I have some knowledge of product development and the obstacles that may need to be overcome.

I have a SDC2300 and was about to buy a GPZ7000 when I started reading on forums like this conflicting reports about the products performance and reliability. As $10,700.00 is a considerable sum of money I decided to wait a while to see if a firmware upgrade would be made available that would fix the ground balance issues being reported. Nothing has come forward to date, so I got the GPX5000 and the Pro-pack for $6200.00 with a spare battery thrown in. Already having the 2300 I figured I was not at that much of a disadvantage and could wait however long it takes for ML to fix the 7000.

From what I have read it seems ML know what the problem is that is causing the ground balance issues. Knowing and identifying the problem is the first step towards fixing it. The question then arises will a firmware update provide a fix with the current unit's hardware?

If a firmware update can fix or even partially fix the problem then I'm guessing ML will be providing that for free this year. If the hardware needs an update to make the problem go away, then it wont be completely fixed until a model revision is released. I have no idea when that might happen, as that is a worst case scenario and will create a nightmare for ML's customer service staff.

ML need to fix this, (if they can) asap, as with new coils coming out that inject renewed life into the GPX5000, etc, detectors customers may do what I have done and postpone the purchase of their new GPZ7000 detector. ML also need to contribute in a public forum such as this and with their retailers, what stage they are at with releasing a firmware fix!

I realise the GPZ7000 isn't accredited for life support or military specification, but when pricing a unit at a high price there comes high expectation that it will meet the marketing blurb!

Ian

1anSDC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2014-08-10

Back to top Go down

Can Minelab Fix The GPZ 7000? Empty Re: Can Minelab Fix The GPZ 7000?

Post  kevlorraine2 Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:37 am

thanks ian, totally in agreement, i am watching the reports of the new elite coil with interest ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Can Minelab Fix The GPZ 7000? Empty Can Minelab Fix The GPZ 7000?

Post  goldstrijk Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:51 pm

Agreed Ian,
I am happy with mine and realise it is totally different to the GPX
But when you read the feedback on the new coils performance on the GPX, I'm scratching my head and thinking why did I part with $10,700 for the Zed scratch

goldstrijk
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi Ian
I've taken the same approach as the pro-pack is an excellent buy.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  1anSDC Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:59 pm

You have to give credit to Minelab for quickly bringing out innovative work-arounds for ground balancing the GPZ7000. The ferrite octopus wave and the walk and wave, look to be work-arounds that are working for some!

The thing is though that these are merely work-arounds when what is needed is a fix!

Ian

1anSDC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2014-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldProspector Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:38 pm

They will definitely be able to fix it with firmware. But they need to hurry up with the update. Time is gold.

GoldProspector
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Some here will remember when ML released the 2000 back in 1995 , what a game changer that made to detecting gold !
Even dopes  were scoring heaps of weight .

When you think about the cost back then it would be similar to the 7000 price today considering inflation , many have bought ' some are happy & others are Not .

I bought a 2100 as soon as they became available , Great Detector !
Would I buy a 7000  scratch ~ NO !

Jack.

Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down