Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP 3000 with Light weight Lithium Battery system

4 posters

Go down

GP 3000 with Light weight Lithium Battery system Empty GP 3000 with Light weight Lithium Battery system

Post  muddycrab Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Everyone

although I owned a GP extreme (which I never really used) I'm new to the gold detecting scene and looking at buying a GP 3000 with 1 x Light weight Lithium Battery system (2 Batteries), and would like some opinions..

the place I am buying it from sais I'll get about 4 hours off each battery.. which sounds ok I guess. I have an option of getting the normal battery system instead if I want, which will give me 8-10 hrs (they say)

what does anyone think about which battery system to get.. ?

I guess if 1 lithium go's flat it can be charging in the car while I use the other..

thankx
tony

muddycrab
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Back to top Go down

GP 3000 with Light weight Lithium Battery system Empty Re: GP 3000 with Light weight Lithium Battery system

Post  Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Mudcrab,

I recommend getting the Minelab battery. I bought one of those lightweight of that Frankston area fellow and it was crap- it was falling apart when it arrived. And as a consequence, has sat unused. For the few extra dollars, get the better battery.

PS: it was a replacement one as well- they sent me the wrong one originally and i didn't realise until i went to plug it i after driving 2 hours to goldfields.... i had left my original battery at home in confidence. Everyone makes mistakes- my mistake was buying a cheap lightweight battery.

PSS: Did you know the GP3000 is really the GP Extreme repackaged. There are some minor improvements but the curcuit board says GP Extreme!!!

Cheers, Ferris.

Back to top Go down

GP 3000 with Light weight Lithium Battery system Empty Re: GP 3000 with Light weight Lithium Battery system

Post  Narrawa Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:03 pm

I ran the 3000 for a few years and made my own lightweight battery, but at the end of the day the std battery is bullet proof and replacement cost when it dies was only $27 and you can get upto 12 hrs out of them.
They are a no fuss system that works without problems.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:35 pm

These guys are telling you the Truth, the std battery IS bullet proof BUT
that sounds like the coiltek lt/weight with 2 batteries, I'd take that in front
of the house brick std one.

I gotta say I was wondering why you are buying a 3000, when you own an extreme??? GP 3000 with Light weight Lithium Battery system Icon_wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  muddycrab Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:21 am

thing is I sold the extreme after having it a couple of years and not findintg the time to do any real Gold Detecting

so here I am afew years later, still pondering life and what I want to do with myself, my time is freeing up, and I'd still like to have a go... and this 3000 came up

so do u guys think if its a "coiltek lt/weight with 2 batteries" thats preferrable over the std bty.. ?

if I do go the lt\weight bty setup, is it ezy enough to get a standard battery later and plug that in instead?

thanx
tony

muddycrab
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:28 am

Just to let you know I had the lightweight setup and never had an issue,thought it was great.The batteries lasted exactly 4 hours but took a while to charge.I had 3 and discovered 1 was not the genuine sony so discarded it.It didnt charge correctly and the contacts were slightly smaller.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down