Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPZ WM 12 Modem Run Time?

5 posters

Go down

GPZ WM 12 Modem Run Time? Empty GPZ WM 12 Modem Run Time?

Post  kon61 Mon May 11, 2015 9:43 pm

G'day Fellow prospectors.

Not that I won't find out all in due course fellas,but I couldn't help myself in asking,if any member here knows of,how many hrs run time,the WM 12 Modem gets,as compare to the GPZ Battery?  

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

GPZ WM 12 Modem Run Time? Empty Re: GPZ WM 12 Modem Run Time?

Post  Guest Mon May 11, 2015 10:17 pm

G'day Kon,

I haven't run either flat as yet, I do notice that when charging them both together I have noticed that the WM 12 module is charged to full before the Zed Battery is fully charged, but as I said I haven't flattened either, but I usually run it for a few hours a day for a couple of trips out before I recharge them. I think young Mick has flattened his Zed battery at least once, but I think his WM 12 did not go flat, so I think it may last a lot longer than the main Zed Battery. I will verify this in the morning when I see him.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon May 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Yep,thanks for that Mike. I too havn't run the modem flat and noticed that it charges up to full allot faster than the GPZ Battery. The reason I asked was because I too have invested in a spare second battery,but what purpose would the second battery serve if both WM 12 Modem and GPZ Battery were on par at discharging with one another at pretty much the same time? In other words what would be the purpose of carrying a spare battery if the GPZ modem didn't have at least twice the hourly working capacity of the GPZ Battery,if we had to keep going back to the vehicle for a GPZ battery and modem charge,because both clonk out at the same time? I'm hoping this ain't the case.

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Yes I can see the dilemma that you are talking about and I think the best/cheapest solution would be to make sure you have a pair of headphones/and or speaker, other than that, invest in a spare WM12 module which are I think around the $375.00 mark. Like you said would be interesting to know how long the charge does last. Also you can see the actual charge of your Batteries on the top of the screen on the control panel, just remembered this as I was writing this.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Tue May 12, 2015 9:16 am

There are battery "meters" on the main screen, how accurate they are I have no idea.
May I suggest you run a main battery down and just look at the meter for the WM12.?
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue May 12, 2015 10:33 am

I think that is more important to have a spare battery for the Zed, because if the WM12 run out you can still detect the rest of the day with the headphone.
Cheers
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Tue May 12, 2015 11:49 am

I agree a second battery would be handy for those putting in the longer hours, It would still be of benefit to us all to
know a reasonably accurate time frame for the WM12 battery, in relation to the main battery.
I presume running the GPS function would have an effect as well.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue May 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Your right there goldquest,if out on foot remote,or just putting in long hrs,the spare battery is the most important back-up,cause worst case scenario,we can always plug the headphones into the rear end of the detector,but it would be good to know we have the option of changing to a second or even third battery,using the same (cable free) WM 12 modem,without it needing to be recharged upon depletion of each and every GPZ Battery.
Yep Redfin,I saw both battery icons on the top of the screen when both modem & GPZ battery were fully charged,but paid no attention after that.I do know a fully charged GPZ battery,gave me a good 8 hrs+ befor going on the blink,but hadn't payed attention to how much more power/working hrs,was left in the modem itself?
No probs fellas.I'll be giving it a good going over during the weeken and get back to yas with some results.

Cheers Kon.

Last edited by kon61 on Tue May 12, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Tue May 12, 2015 1:58 pm

Mrs Redfin and I are going up for a 4 day weekend so I'll try and do the same, run the battery right out and see what the state of the WM12 is.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue May 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Cheers Redfin

Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Mon May 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Well, foiled by my efficient other half.
5 hours the first day.
After 3 hours the 2nd day we came back for lunch and she
wacked them all on the charger. cyclops
& hours the 3rd day and still plenty of juice left in both.
Going up week after next for 10 days so will try again. Embarassed
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu May 21, 2015 2:29 pm

No probs Redfin. You can't blam the misus,for she was only doing the right thing by making sure all was at full charge.Laughing
I was out myself over the weekend,managed to completely drain 1 battery (giving me approx 8.5hrs+) and only 3 hours out of the second and the WM 12 Modem still read 2/3 full.I won't be recharging the modem until the low battery warning light comes on,but from what I can gather,there seems to be more than enough power to completely drain 2 GPZ batteries and then some. I'll be dead certain of this the next time out on the field.
Ahh,by the way,I personally scored nothing in way of colour over the 2.5 days testing/detecting,apart from boot tacks,nails & lead bird shot,of various sizes,at various depths.
On the other hand,Slimpickings & another m8 of mine Dave,"Tibboo Dave" on this forum,scored approx 11+ grams of colour,between the 2 of them,over what I would consider,some of the most flogged,mineralized,ground,we'v encountered,within the Golden Triangle".
As for my opinion and or impression of the GPZ,I have no doubt,if put over the right type of ground or any ground,for that matter,using the right settings, will not only surpass all previous SD/GP/GPZ detectors in terms of,in/on-ground performance,but pick up a variety/type/size/composition,of gold,where all before the introduction of the GPZ 7000 could not.
As for the price of the GPZ,yep,it could have been cheaper to buy,but more importantly here,is for one to ask themselves,do I have the finances/ time,to put in the way,of searching for and hunting down,that elusive golden ointment,well do ya p**k. Q35 Sorry fellas,couldn't help myself with that last one.Q35

Cheers Kon.T25
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Herschbach Thu May 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Using a fully charged WM12 as an external speaker (headphones not plugged into it) and running in noisy ground with fairly continuous sound from the unit, I got about 17 hours before I experienced significant audio drop outs on targets. I surmise the running time in quieter ground would be significantly longer, and with headphones plugged in much longer.

The on screen battery indicator drops down to the lowest level but then the module seems to just keep running. I am frankly surprised it could make noise for so long.
Steve Herschbach
Steve Herschbach
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-03-09

http://www.detectorprospector.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu May 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Yep,thanks and that's exactly what I suspect the WM12 is capable of and then some Steve. I prefer to use headphones as my main target,listening device,of which no doubt,gives the WM12 longer running times,than using only the WM12 speaker.

Cheers Kon. T25
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Sun May 24, 2015 11:08 pm

Kon 9hrs on 7000 of actual detecting and battery indicator on screen showing in red with battery level about a 1/4 full. module still going strong. I Reckon the less you switch the detector off and on the longer it will last.
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon May 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Yep,thanks for that G.B.I was a little conservative when stating a fully charged GPZ Battery will give you at least 8.5hrs running time+ but because I can't wait for my next field trip,I'v decided to switched on the detector,using the second fully charged battery as we speak and waiting for that to run down.Considering the WM is still showing 2/3 thirds charge and the battery currently down to one fifth,I'll soon know and see how much more,if any power,will be left in the modem,when this second fully charged battery runs out.
Now I do understand,that knowing how long the WM12 Modem lasts out on the field,as compared to the GPZ Battery,is not that a significant/important question to ask/know,considering we end up charging both GPZ battery and Modem at the same time,basically all of the time when heading back to camp.However,for the ones who walk on foot to remote places and camp where they stop at the end of the day,it be good to know how many spare batteries one can take with them and use,on a fully charged modem,before it needing a recharge.

Cheers guys, Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon May 25, 2015 10:05 pm

Well,I can now confirm basically what Steve Herschbach has already stated.A fully charged GPZ WM12 Modem,gave me approximately 17.5hrs run time, before it stopped working,just before the second GPZ battery,was one bar from complete exhaustion.
Conclusion; It is safe to say that,one can go through and drain,almost 2 fully charged GPZ batteries,to the 1 fully charged WM12 Modem,(using headphones) before the modem battery life calls it quits.Laughing

Cheers guys,Kon. T25
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down