Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuning the Zed

Go down

Tuning the Zed Empty Tuning the Zed

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Have a 45 and a recently purchased a Zed with some finds in Vic over Easter, reading up on the 4500 section came across the following para/comment:

(A matter for thought. We were shown this method for tuning a 4500 by professional detectors in WA. I presume would work same in victoria.
Instead of holding your coil up in the air, lay your coil on the ground and tune into the ground. (as if detecting, but lay it there still) We do this all the time now and seems to find quietest setting to detect. Cannot tune in manually any better.
Try it, you will be amased. Laughing
travelergold)

Anybody had success with the 7000 during the quick start holding the coil parallel to the ground just above the ground, as against up in the air as per the screen?

Peter

Back to top Go down

Tuning the Zed Empty Re: Tuning the Zed

Post  Canned Heat Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:59 pm

G,day Peter. I have tried both and for the life of me cannot see any real difference between both methods. Today I was recovering some multiple bits from a hole and every time the coil was lowered nose first into the hole, pointing straight down, I got a heap of interference.
I tried tuning in the air as per the manual, no good and noise the same, tried flat on the ground and the same result. But in that case it may be, and I believe so, the interference was too great to do anything about. Another spot the 7 didn't like detecting up and down a gully wall, each time it was tipped it would start warbling, no matter what was done with the tuning it wouldn't go away. I found myself sweeping multiple times over some spots to make sure it wasn't masking anything.
Ill add though that even though I cant see any difference I still try it now and then if its bad.
Funny too was when I got my 7. The sales guy told me to tune it flat on the ground and one of the others said no tune it in the air. They then got into a discussion about why one was better to do than the other. Laughing At the end of it they both sounded as convincing as the other, dead heat. Maybe both methods are as good as each other Very Happy

Canned Heat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-09

Back to top Go down