Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switching between Gold modes.

3 posters

Go down

Switching between Gold modes. Empty Switching between Gold modes.

Post  fisho101 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Just re read the manuel and noticed it recommends a ground balance ( quick track ) and ( noise cancel ) whenever you change between gold modes. I have not done the noise cancel and have not noticed any videos showing this being done when comparing target responses . Page 21 . Since the release of the White paper I have not returned to the manuel but JP s settings got me thinking and I went back to look again , is anyone doing this or is it not important to re noise cancel each time? .
fisho101
fisho101
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Switching between Gold modes. Empty Re: Switching between Gold modes.

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Noise cancel, you mean like auto tune or manual tune with the previous machine? I just still manual tune if necessary, this may not be the correct thing to do as it maybe a leftover habit from the previous machine. Like you I will wait for further info on your question.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:11 am

The noise cancel position is different between High Yield and General because those Gold Modes operate at different frequencies. Best bet is to listen to the audio initially when you go across from one gold mode to another and adjust to suit. I have had occasions where High Yield was dead quiet and General was chattery, so adjusted the tune manually to get General quiet then rechecked High Yield which was then also fine.

The GPZ 7000 runs a lot quieter than the GPX series, its noise floor is incredibly low which is why people are getting confused with the volume controls, tending to over drive them because the underlying audio is so smooth. I do not recommend people go higher than 12 on the main Volume on the Detect page, otherwise the detector will sound unstable and noisy.

Please also be aware interference needs to be checked with the coil held stationary, a bad GB method can sound like EMI but only when the coil is coupled to the ground and moving (coupling means held within proximity of the ground), hold the coil still and things will settle, this then suggests you need to power cycle the detector and perform the "walk and swing" GB method for 10 to 12 seconds again.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 am

JP, can you confirm the following for an initial start up GB?

Turn on the GPZ for a days detecting.
Preset desired gold and ground settings etc.
Select "Auto" tracking.
Depress the "quick track" trigger button
Conduct "walk and swing" method for 10-12 seconds to gather as much soil info as possible.
Then leave in "Auto" for the next 20-30 mins to let the Zed warm up.
During this warm up do NOT touch the "quick track" or change the tracking to "manual".
After 20-30 mins warm up, if desired switch to "manual" tracking and "quick track" as required by either swinging the coil left to right or performing the traditional pump up and down method.

Cheers,

Jordan.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:04 am

Hello Jordan, my suggestions in red.....

JayMowgrass wrote:JP, can you confirm the following for an initial start up GB?

Turn on the GPZ for a days detecting. GPZ dumps all GB data except for last good setting at switch off
Preset desired gold and ground settings etc. With coil held in air away from metal objects and keeping off the QT Button
Select "Auto" tracking. Auto is the default setting
Depress the "quick track" trigger button Bring coil to ground first
Conduct "walk and swing" method for 10-12 seconds to gather as much soil info as possible. Hold in QT button for duration of "Walk and Swing" event.
Then leave in "Auto" for the next 20-30 mins to let the Zed warm up.Its not a warm up, 20 to 30 minutes gives the tracker time to get good GB data for your given area, allowing the algorithm to become even more refined.
During this warm up do NOT touch the "quick track" or change the tracking to "manual".
After 20-30 mins warm up, if desired switch to "manual" tracking and "quick track" as required by either swinging the coil left to right or performing the traditional pump up and down method. Probably best to just pump the coil after the 20 to 30 minute period has passed, if in Tracking there is really no need to even touch the QT button as the Tracker does a good job of things, just pump the coil up and down and listen to the threshold.

If you feel the detector is unstable or unsettled just power cycle the unit and start again, the 20 to 30 minute stage can be varied to suit your particular area as 95%+ of the GB is obtained in the first 10 to 12 seconds anyway

Cheers,
Jordan.
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Awesome, thanks JP.

That clears things up.

Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down