Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what would you buy

4 posters

Go down

what would you buy Empty what would you buy

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:06 pm

i'm thinking off getting a second detector for a back up.....what would be the best buy and to mods? sd2200d, gp extreme, gp3000 gp 3500....

Back to top Go down

what would you buy Empty Re: what would you buy

Post  Inhere Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 pm

My advice would be to get the 3500 and leave it standard. what would you buy Icon_wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:22 pm

Inhere wrote:My advice would be to get the 3500 and leave it standard. what would you buy Icon_wink
when i was out today with my mate, he has a gp extreme and it been mod. he picked up 3 very small bits off gold. i just thought if you mod you might just pick up the small bits....just that when i use the sd2000 it didn't pick that stuff up yesterday for some reason. i took him to the spot i found the gold and the 3 pence coin..it could just be to small for the detector.....and after today the sd played up don't know what was wrong with it....i plugged everything up ready to go and turned it on and there was nothing only a flick when you flicked the on switch off ....got it home and tryed it and bloody worked. wasn't a very good day...why wouldn't you mod it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:49 pm

Stoppsy, I had a good modded sd2000 for years, I also had a good Extreme for several years.
When I first bought the Extreme, I went to a popular spot in Wedderburn and found nuggets up to 3 gram
as though no one had ever been there. The GP's went a lot deeper on gold around that size than the SD's.

My present 3500 is better again and mate, you don't need to mod them. what would you buy Icon_wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Inhere wrote:Stoppsy, I had a good modded sd2000 for years, I also had a good Extreme for several years.
When I first bought the Extreme, I went to a popular spot in Wedderburn and found nuggets up to 3 gram
as though no one had ever been there. The GP's went a lot deeper on gold around that size than the SD's.

My present 3500 is better again and mate, you don't need to mod them. what would you buy Icon_wink
that sounds good to me....i was just thinking off getting a audio boost or a mini boost for the sd. you reckon it would make the sd a little better. i do love the sd i'll never get rid off it...what do you like to use the in-line speaker or headphones? i have headphones for the sd and my mate had the speaker, i liked the speaker a bit better as you have a less lead hanning from the back pack....

Back to top Go down

what would you buy Empty SD's

Post  rc62burke Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 am

Hi Stoppsy
I use an SD2200d, it has been modded before i got it I dont use these extra's as yet maybe when I find a patch I will play with it, an audio booster is a must & also a regulated battery system on the SD's
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:56 am

cool thanks lee going to have a look into it

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi stoppsy,

Have faith in your machine, learn with it and do the 3 Ps

1. Patients

2. Persistence

3. Pay off

If you still get itchy and want to go ahead with another detector, i would get the 3500 this is a top machine.
Keeping in mind the gold you get even if its small does all add up to an ounce eventually...............

Im not having a crack just trying to help you out from one new member to another and i hope you do very well in the future.

HueyDuck........
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:15 pm

that's cool HueyDuck it's good to know what people think. the more peolpe tell me things the more i know. it all help and put's me in to line what i should do. i love this site there are so many things that people have told me i didn't know. thanks to everyone who have helped me out. what would you buy Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 pm

I could imagine detecting for a living warrenting a backup, or having a one for a partner/spouse etc that comes out occasionally but realistically does the hobby or weekend detectorist really need a 2nd unit?

God forbid it fails, minelabs service turn around is brilliant! Should mine fail in the field, well it's out with the pan, a bit of exploration and enjoy my time in the bush.
Should it fail on one of my detecting holidays, well I can always hire one....cheaper than outlaying for a 2nd unit that will nodout for the most part sit there unused.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:58 pm

the problem i have now is i'm sharing it with my dad now, we went out for a few hours and i got about 10 to 15 min go and that was it. i think i will end up losing it to him....if i had a second one it would be good if he go's out i'll have the other one there for me to use...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:01 pm

ahh....well dads come under the partner/spouse etc part what would you buy Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:16 pm

madtuna wrote:ahh....well dads come under the partner/spouse etc part what would you buy Icon_biggrin
lol yes it does. i said to him if i find the big one i'll half it with him.... what would you buy Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 am

Gday

The reliability of the minelab detectors in general is excellent , and over the years I have carried various machines as a back up and never had to use them, when you use a camper van and space is a premium then if its not getting used then it stays at home, but....

There are other uses for a detector in the goldfields other than looking for gold, coin, relic and cache hunting could also worthwhile in some areas, and sometimes if the area has an old trashy town site then you can do both, so with this in mind there is the option of carrying a light weight vlf machine as well, some of them can be broken down into smaller pieces and more easily stored than the pi machines and can also be used by others if they have come out with you.

Doing it that way you are not going to have to fork out big $$$ for a second pi machine, as say something like a second hand exterra or similar would be less than a grand, and you would also have something with good descrimination and something you could put to use yourself if you are in the right area.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:31 am

i have it worked out now, i'm just going to let my old man use the sd 2000 and i'm just going to buy a gp 3500 in about 3 weeks...so if we both wont to go out we have a detector each and it will hopfully make him happy that he or even me just don't walk around digging each others holes for each other....lol. i think that's what gets to my dad mostly. it sound like the gp 3500 is a very good detector, so i reckon that might be the go.

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:34 pm

looking through old posts i found this one.

did you end up getting the 3500 and how have you found it.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Goldbait wrote:looking through old posts i found this one.

did you end up getting the 3500 and how have you found it.
hey Goldbait i ended up with a gpx 4000 had a bit more money to spend than i thought...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum