Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

near powerlines?

5 posters

Go down

near powerlines? Empty near powerlines?

Post  artrix Fri May 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Is there any way you can get a 4500 to be stable with a mono coil whilst near powerlines?
I was recently on some private land with a mate and we had powerlines on both sides of the area we were checking. I tried what was suggested in the manual but to no avail. I ended up having to put on my DD and running in cancel to get a stable threshhold I am new to the machine and I realize that my inexperience could be a big factor. Any advice?

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

near powerlines? Empty Re: near powerlines?

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri May 07, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi Artrix, Nope wouldn't think so! The DD in cancel would be about the only option, or get the heck away from the power lines.
Shame really I have seen so much ground that I would love to cover and then see the dreaded lines or the markers indicating burried communications.

OFF TOPIC
When I'm not swinging a metal detector I'm usually swinging another detector looking (locating) underground assets, or using a locator tracking drill heads, when I'm not operating the drill.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat May 08, 2010 6:50 am

Bugger the place we were was unknown to me prior to arrival and we ended up with powerlines straddling both sides of us 200 metres apart with the land we could be on dead in the centre. My friend had an older sd2100 and it didnt seem to bother his machine as much.

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sat May 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Coiltek's anti interference coil, otherwise known as a salty should render your 45 dead quiet under power lines. They have similar sensitivity to a monoloop. Give the Coiltek Gold Centre a ring to find out how much they are on 03 5460 4700. I still have a 14" salty and will never get rid of it as it is so handy.

Cheers, granite.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat May 08, 2010 1:59 pm

thanx for the heads up regards the salt coil, do you only use it when there is bad emi or is it one that you use often

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sat May 08, 2010 4:28 pm

G'day Artrix,
we don't use it a lot these days but used to use it a lot both on salt lakes, salt'll drive you nuts without it, and also under powerlines in Victoria. Did well with it both on the salt and in Vic. The last two seasons we have used nothing but the Coiltek 14x9 eliptical mono nugget stalker and will be using them again this year. But if we find ourselves near a salt lake or power lines the saltie will be coming out again.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat May 08, 2010 6:33 pm

cheers Jim

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

near powerlines? Empty salt coil

Post  dave1963 Sat May 08, 2010 7:51 pm

tryed one a while back and it worked perfect around salt.tryed it around power lines and after half hour screen blanked out and overcurrent warning came up,gave it to my mate to try and did the same after 10 minites,both using 45s.does not seem to do it away from power lines,got coil tested and no problems with coil'coil was newest model.borrowed one off another mate and same result.got rid of it as i am not going to chance doing damage to my detector as warranty will not cover it,gone back to using cancel.
cheers Dave
dave1963
dave1963
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  polver Sat May 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi,

When using the salty coil around power lines what soil/timings do you use?

Cheers, Peter

polver
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sun May 09, 2010 1:33 pm

I have never had a problem around powerlines with a salty but then not all power lines are equal.

Granite
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down