Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker

2 posters

Go down

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker Empty Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker

Post  splinterdog Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:11 pm

I recently purchased a (legitimate) Coiltek 18 x 12 and used it for the first time yesterday over a bit of a patch that I have in the past pulled about 20 small pieces from with an 11 inch Commander that came with the GPX5000. I decided to re-visit this patch with the new coil because I had effectively removed all the junk from that area so thought I might get lucky with the bigger coil. Tuned up nicely but the moment I moved the coil it almost gave me a brain explosion. It was so unstable and noisy it was out of control and effectively useless. It would not shut up and the only repeatable sound was over a blade of grass it came in contact with. After several hours trying to control the beast, I moved away from the patch to a low area with less vegetation and perhaps less EMI, but it made no difference. I gave up at lunchtime with a headache, calmed down, changed back to the 11 inch commander, and promptly found 2 nice pieces. It would have been impossible to locate them with the 18 x 12 on its performance. Is it me? I believe there may have been similar posts to mine about this coil. My 5000 is pretty much running on factory settings but I thought it was going to throw up yesterday! Any suggestions please. Have a trip planned to WA in June and would like to have this issue sorted beforehand please.

splinterdog
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-04-13

Back to top Go down

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker Empty Re: Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker

Post  Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:29 pm

G'day splinterdog

If you bought it new from a dealer then take it back and get a replacement. If you bought it second hand get in touch with Trevor at Coilteck Manufacturing and I's sure he can help you. There is no way that the coil should go of like that, if the 11" commander was running ok then there is something wrong with the Coiltek coil.

http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker Empty Re: Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker

Post  splinterdog Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks Dave, this coil was straight out of the box. I like to keep the commander on the ground, but this coil would blank out like there was a horse-shoe under it when it came in contact with a twig or a March fly. Guess I'd better make a phone call.

splinterdog
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 pm

As Dave said there splinterdog, the coil should not be doing that. Occasionally you get a bad coil and you were unlucky enough to cop it. Similar, but not quite so touch sensitive, happened to my new coil and they tested it, and swapped it for a new one - great service. I'd be taking it back to the store first and then calling Coiltek if they can't make you happy.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  splinterdog Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Thank you Costa for taking the time to comment. I have just finished 'sharp pinging' an e-mail to the store (3 hours drive away) and to the manufacturer. I'll see what transpires. I've only been in this caper for a relatively short time, and it's all a learning process.

Splinter

splinterdog
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Coiltek 18 x 12 Elliptical Mono Goldstalker Empty Re coil

Post  Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:25 pm

I've had a 18x12fail also splinter,but I must say both coilteks and nugget finder have incredibly good after sales service.if you send it back they will ring you after say a week and ask what problem the coil was causing ,then you get credited with a new coil,if it's still the same as when mine started falsing etc.nugget finder were exactly the same ,I sent a 14 round to get a new plug and was told I was entitled to a new coil cos it was starting to bulge ,I honestly hadn't noticed it.

Back to top Go down

Post  splinterdog Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 am

I have already received a response via e-mail from the the Sales & Business Development Manager at Coiltek with as assurance that the coil will be replaced in a week or so. This response was within 24 hours of my not so subtle complaint, so what you say appears to be on the mark. Communication is the name of the game and Coiltek are to be complimented by contacting me immediately about this issue, and on a public holiday!

splinterdog
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down