Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

newbie from Tas

3 posters

Go down

newbie from Tas Empty newbie from Tas

Post  rickchampion Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Hey all, My wife and I and our 1 year daughter are looking at touring from Melbourne through to south aus. We are novice planners from tassie but looking and doing some more and some detecting. Any advice on gold and opal mining over there or tours. We going to be motor homing for 10 days. Or any advice where to begin would be great, thanks,Rick

rickchampion
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-02-25

Back to top Go down

newbie from Tas Empty Re: newbie from Tas

Post  Guest Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi Rick,
Welcome to the forum.
If you are planing to do little bit of detecting you will need a Miner Right in Victoria.You can purchase on on line here:

http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/exploration-and-mining/prospecting-and-fossicking

There are many locations but Golden Triangle is most visited and the most famous place to to look for gold.
You can hire a detector if you dont have one at some shops and even get a Miners Right there:

Maryborugh:
http://www.coiltek.com.au

Dunolly:
http://goldsearchaustralia.com/

Some of them organize a day tour or training day as well.Give them a call prior visiting.
There are many members here who detect in GT so if you post when you plan to visit some of the members might show you little bit around.

If you have any question dont hesitate to ask.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  rickchampion Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:04 am

Awesome thanks, was looking at golden triangle. Not sure what detector to hire, plus located as we will be in a motor home :-)

rickchampion
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:57 am

If you looking to spend time in GT then a few central location would be of interest.
We do our yearly bash in Laanecoorie and you can see their website here:

http://www.laanecoorie.com.au/

Very nice place and a 15 minutes drive from Dunolly.

As you have a Motordrome then Maryborough Caravan Park is suitable as well.Centrally located in GT and home of Coiltek shop as well.Plenty things for wife and kids to do if they dont feel like going for a detect:

http://www.maryboroughcaravanpark.com.au/

Not sure if you have any experience with detectors but staff in Coiltek can show you or do with them a day training which will be very beneficial in a long run.
Go for the best and aim for the best.Wil save you years of self learning.
GoldEN

Last edited by golden on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

Back to top Go down

Post  rickchampion Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 pm

A friend gave me advice of ingle wood and wederburn

rickchampion
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:55 pm

they are all great places to detect.
Maryborough is practically in a center of GT so you can go anywhere you like.
Inglewood and Wedderburn are 20-30km from Bendigo.
All is around 50-60km in radius so whatever area you pick you can always move few km if you wish.
GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  rickchampion Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:31 pm

that's great thanks heaps Golden,
I guess now to decide to hire a detector for the 10 days or buy a second hand one.
what do people like not like,
good for beginners.

rickchampion
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I am suggesting to hire one first. Its not point to buy if you dont like it. Lot fo people buy everything and thing they will get rich on a first trip.

Have a feel of it and if you want to stick to this hobby and get the best chances to find gold regular then go for the most expensive one you can afford.
Maybe any of Gpx ones are great detectors starting from 4000.I am talking now about Minelab.
There are plenty others there so if you search on a first page in a right hand corner about detectors you might get an idea.

Everyone is doing this hobby for a different reasons and some people do it professionally. Read the posts and look the members find and you might get an idea.

Good luck
GoldEN

Back to top Go down

newbie from Tas Empty Hi tassie people

Post  philip.j.thompson Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 pm

your time frame will preclude getting to the opal fields I suspect, have a go in the triangle for the yellow stuff,
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  rickchampion Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:09 pm

got some maps for golden triangle but not sure where to look start or anything. im used to panning in creeks down home but that's it hahaha.
seems to be a fair bit of area to travel. not sure if motorhome will be able to access it

rickchampion
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rickchampion Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:36 pm

Getting more pumped every day for my trip. Keep watching youtube vids of people in the triangle hahaha.
Hopefully a few people here will be out and about there in May whom I might be able to get some pointers from.

rickchampion
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  boilamaker Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:40 pm

rickchampion wrote:that's great thanks heaps Golden,
I guess now to decide to hire a detector for the 10 days or buy a second hand one.
what do people like not like,
good for beginners.
hay mate ive just moved to tazzi frome vic maybe we could trad a few spots

boilamaker
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-01-29

Back to top Go down